Have you ever challenged a parent over whether they've changed their child's nappy?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you ever challenged a parent over whether they've changed their child's nappy?

Well there seems to be a bit of a theme to my posts this morning...

Mindee arrives just before 8.30am, by 9.30 the vest is usually wet because of the bulging nappy. It's obvious it hasn't been changed since the night before. Is this is a welfare issue and should I be making a note of it? I think I might just mention it to mum.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm - it could just be that the child didnt wee much during the night, and it all came out first thing??? This frequently happens with my 26 month old mindee, I check his nappy as soon as he arrives, most days its dry, and we go on the school run, once home I get him out the buggy and he's wee-ed so much it soaks through his nappy, clothes and onto my buggy!!!!!!
    Marnie x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say to mum can she make sure child has clean and dry nappy on before coming as some days you may want to go out straight away, school runs, toddlers etc and you haven't got time to do it. I rarely change a nappy until after lunch unless of course it is a dirty one.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How old is the child?

It could be that they haven't weed much through the night & save it all up for morning. The first nappy of the day might not hold the contents of a full bladder, or the night nappy might not have much in it, so they leave it on & then mindee fills it.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

18 months. Mum is constantly texting saying can we meet you at school, running late etc. Has been known to get child out of bed at 7.50am to get to mine, always without any breakfast just a bottle of milk.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a 2yr old mindee who is suddenly wetting through his nappy at nap time. I put a clean nappy on before he goes to sleep but when he wakes up he fills it and his clothes!
    Paula

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nipper View Post
    18 months. Mum is constantly texting saying can we meet you at school, running late etc. Has been known to get child out of bed at 7.50am to get to mine, always without any breakfast just a bottle of milk.
    Sounds like they don't have a good routine and the LO is not being changed first thing to me. It is a bit neglectful and the LO could end up with horrendous nappy rash - I have had one who had blisters it was that bad. I think you will have to speak to Mom and say the LO needs to be changed before arriving at yours as you are straight out and they are soaked from the night nappy. Poor little mite.

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would also make a note of it in concerns or however you log problems/concerns.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I know mum has a handful with the tantrums and often won't give her a sleep in the afternoon because little one kicks off screaming when she puts her down. I have no problems here.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say anything just yet.
    For the next week or so i would monitor the morning nappy. Check it as soon as he is dropped off and see how wet it is then again an hour or so later.

I agree that althoughit might be the case that parent isn't changing the night time nappy it could be a case of the child filling a new dry nappy on arrival at yours.

If the nappy is really quite wet on drop off I would mention it.

11. Likes Candy apple liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that's a good idea

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say it was a laziness issue, they cant' be bothered to change the child and expect you to do it. I wouldn't be happy and would ask them to consider their childs comfort.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If we ever go to toddlers (once or sometimes twice a week depending on if I have her) sometimes it can be gone 11am before I can change her. Last week I noticed she was wet through when I sat her on my lap.

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you do if a child began arriving regularly with what appeared to be a dirty or unchanged nappy, was one of the questions I was asked at my pre-reg inspection in the summer. I said about talking to mum, finding out if there were any problems, monitoring it and noting it down. She said that was all very well, but it was still neglect and should be treated as such.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your answers

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Could the child need the next size up in nappies?

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

No, just gone into size 5's.

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnieb View Post
    hmmmm - it could just be that the child didnt wee much during the night, and it all came out first thing??? This frequently happens with my 26 month old mindee, I check his nappy as soon as he arrives, most days its dry, and we go on the school run, once home I get him out the buggy and he's wee-ed so much it soaks through his nappy, clothes and onto my buggy!!!!!!
    I have had this a few times too. the only way to be sure is to check the nappy when they arrive.

But if they arrive with a full nappy, just mention it to mum, don't need to be confrontational. Are there other signs of neglect? It could be that lo isn't waking up til almost time to go and mum is in a rush and knows that you will sort it when they arrive. I sometimes have one arrive in pjs because they find it difficult to wake early in the morning, and I dress them. Child really well looked after, just can't wake up early.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samcat View Post
    What would you do if a child began arriving regularly with what appeared to be a dirty or unchanged nappy, was one of the questions I was asked at my pre-reg inspection in the summer. I said about talking to mum, finding out if there were any problems, monitoring it and noting it down. She said that was all very well, but it was still neglect and should be treated as such.
    I remember being told the same at my training too.

xxx

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have one that arrives in pjs and i change him when he gets here, this is because mum is busy getting ready in morning and pulls child out of bed just before leaving. Parent has discussed this with me before hand and this is the solution we came up with as she comes quite early and we didn,t think it was fair on the child to get up even earlier. But thats just me, i don't mind. Maybe your parent is struggling in the morning, have a chat and see what you can come up with.x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast