Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why they think having more mindees to care for will work out cheaper, unless they want us to drop our fees to didly squat money per hour per child, I too charge £3 p/h and do no consider that excessive for the responsibility/paperwork/wear and tear etc not to mention 3 years being a billy no mates to get my degree in early years, one of my mums can't understand it either, as she says people don't bat an eyelid for vet fees/kennel fees etc for their pets, but when it comes to paying for childcare....well I was having a good day until I read that article, better go find some choccy now lol to cheer myself up

jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do they get their infortmation from???!

In France it is 3 children maximum and 4 in some cases but a variation has to be in place following an inspection and series of questions on how you would manage.

Since full time free school is available from 2 years oldish (teachers decide hours with parents and build them up the first year but can be full time straight away if child is ready), this usually means 3 under 2s plus the CM's own older children. Have never heard of after school children on top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    We are our own bosses. They CANT tell us what to charge. So I would just carry on as normal.
    I agree Ripeberry, but if they make it easier for people to become childminders and then they are able to have up to 5 children, more local mums might see it as a way just to make a bit of extra cash, seriously undercutting us. And although there are parents out there who care about quality, there are a lot who don't and just want it cheap.

How long could we all last then?

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we'll just have to push the 'you get what you pay for' element as experienced CM's and tell parents that we value their childs safety and development too much to raise our numbers to make up our money-that's why our fees are staying the same.....any parent who would disregard this out of hand isn't worth having anyway!

I have a variation for 4 under 5's for 3 hours a week and it's not fun...it's crowd control,It's surprising what a difference just 1 extra child adds to the dynamics so I definitely won't be raising my everyday ratios!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

they are idiots if they think increasing ratios will decrease costs.

Firstly, I imagine, the minders who will overmind now with no regard for numbers will welcome this - result more poor quality childcare
    Quality minders will decide against increasing their ratios as they don't feel they will be able to offer the quality of care they like.
    Quality minders will decide to increase ratios, but won't reduce fees anyway as they know it will cost more to provide quality resources and care (i.e. take on assistant, buy more equipment).

The only sensible idea is allowing parents to offset costs - bravo Government. That's what you /previous government used to allow before you took all those tax breaks away - bring them back - now!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by migimoo View Post
    I have a variation for 4 under 5's for 3 hours a week and it's not fun...it's crowd control,It's surprising what a difference just 1 extra child adds to the dynamics so I definitely won't be raising my everyday ratios!
    I have 4 under 5s (generally 4 under 3s) most days and love it. I don't find it any harder work than having 3. I'd welcome to opportunity to be able to up my numbers permanently. I'd happily have 4 all the time, with 5 every now & again if needed.

But no way will I be decreasing my fees

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

And I quote...

According to the Institute of Public Policy Research (IPPR), the current childcare ratio in England limits one child minder to looking after three children under the age of two.

...which hat do they pull these figures out of and who is the Institute of Pubic Policy Research? Why didn't they just get the figures from Ofsted?

The sooner this coalition government goes the better, but I doubt the next one will be any better.

It seems to me like it's "Pick on childminders" time again.

Hey, does anyone fancy a trip to London to cause a 'disturbance'. lol

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nipper View Post
    And I quote...

According to the Institute of Public Policy Research (IPPR), the current childcare ratio in England limits one child minder to looking after three children under the age of two.

...which hat do they pull these figures out of and who is the Institute of Pubic Policy Research? Why didn't they just get the figures from Ofsted?

The sooner this coalition government goes the better, but I doubt the next one will be any better.

It seems to me like it's "Pick on childminders" time again.

Hey, does anyone fancy a trip to London to cause a 'disturbance'. lol

Lets start a childminding riot...we could throw nappies and baby wipes...lol
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

11. Likes AliceK, maxie77 liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Count me in!

Who would cover the cost of reimbursing all our parents for us having to have time off...imagine the claims for travel on our expenses...oh the list goes on and on and on

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Lets start a childminding riot...we could throw nappies and baby wipes...lol

And tie ourselves to the railings with wrist straps & reins

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody rememBer the news story about a "childminder" having so many children in her care, the authorities went in and found most of them strapped in car seats. Just out to make money. When this starts happening again and parents realise they have no come back because they chose cheap over quality, the whole system will go back to square one. The only ones suffering and at risk are the children, and NOBODY WHO NEEDS TO BE, SEEMS TO BE LISTENING TO PEOPLE WHO KNOW BETTER!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    Does anybody rememBer the news story about a "childminder" having so many children in her care, the authorities went in and found most of them strapped in car seats. Just out to make money. When this starts happening again and parents realise they have no come back because they chose cheap over quality, the whole system will go back to square one. The only ones suffering and at risk are the children, and NOBODY WHO NEEDS TO BE, SEEMS TO BE LISTENING TO PEOPLE WHO KNOW BETTER!
    For real? When?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Tayside and Central | Childminder struck off register

Damn, you beAT ME TO IT! aND WHY AM i WIRTING IN CAPITALS?

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

2007. Dundee childminder had 10 children under 3 or 4 yrs old. Had 4 strapped in car seats to keep them under control. She was struck off

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12