Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default charging for xmas and boxing day

Ive just had another childminder querying the fact that I charge for all bank holidays including christmas and boxing day. I think she was really surprised that I charge. Ive been childminding for nearly 8 years and have always charged for ALL bank holidays. IE if your child is due to attend on that day, you will get charged. This is clearly written in my contract and no parent has ever queried it.

The only parents I do not charge are those that have children attending term time only. All other children that attend all year round are charged.

Ive also made it quite clear that if im needed to work on bank holidays i charge double pay, and triple on xmas day.

Do other childminders charge? or am i in the minority?

I do work all year round except for one week in april, one week in October and two weeks in the summer. My setting is open 48 weeks a year.

The other childminder was really surprised and i think quite shocked that I charge?

Part of the reason why i charge is because the parents receive pay for bank holidays, so why shouldn't i?

Im interested to hear your views .....

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't charge for bank holidays although I do tell parents if there are any I am willing/able to work in which case they would be charged at a higher rate. I don't know what others think but I would be surprised if other self employed child minders charged for Christmas day. I do understand the reasoning that parents get paid for bank holidays but then being self employed is different to being an employee.

Mar2008
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for any bank holidays as I wouldn't want to work them anyway. I personally wouldn't feel right charging for Boxing Day and Christmas Day as there is no way a parent would send their child to you on those days. But it's your business so do what you feel is right for you and your parents. Am surprised no parents have disputed it so far though.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont charge for bank holidays but I am prepared to work them so when parents come I tell them if they want me on a bank holiday this will go on the contracts then they pay for them if they want me or not, if they dont put them on the contracts then I wont be avablibe for them.
    I dont work christmas or boxing day as I prefer it to be just my children and family however as my children get older and leave home then I may consider working christmas and boxing day plus new years day for an extra rate and again parents would need to put it in their contracts as per bank holidays.
    If your prepared to work christmas day then I dont see why you shouldnt charge for it , if you werent prepared to work it then I would think it a bit unfair you charge but we all work differently.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I dont charge for bank holidays as I dont work them. I would feel really cheeky charging for christmas day and boxing day as I wouldnt be open so not available for work. My rule is if Im closed (because of holidays) there is no charge hth x
    If all else fails......add glitter!

6. Likes AliceK, vals liked this post
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont charge for Bank hols & Xmas as I am not working, or my holidays or any sick days I may take.

That is what being self-employed is....

To put it another way, if you booked a plumber to come and do some work, and on the day he called and cancelled as he was unwell, when he returned at another point to do the work, would you pay him for the original cancelled day.... no, you wouldn't!!!!!!!
    Marnie x

8. Likes ziggy, vals liked this post
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersmum View Post
    I don't charge for any bank holidays as I wouldn't want to work them anyway. I personally wouldn't feel right charging for Boxing Day and Christmas Day as there is no way a parent would send their child to you on those days. But it's your business so do what you feel is right for you and your parents. Am surprised no parents have disputed it so far though.
    oooh-i've got one that would!!

I personally only charge for bank holidays if i'm willing to work them....if parents decide to keep LO at home they still pay normal rate,if they bring them to me they pay a higher rate for the day.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont charge for days when i am closed............bank hols, if i'm sick or on holidays

sorry but i just feel if we are gonna charge we should be available to work but being self employed it is down to personal decision

11. Likes Daisy De liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You will find that it is the older minders who charge for BH ( as do i ) because this is what we were advised to do when we trained and by the NCMA at that time.

These are my only paid holidays and i would not change it now. Although we are self employed it is not the same as a true self employed builder who can come and go as they want, decide at the drop of a hat if they want to work that day etc.

Us childminders are tied to quite a tight contract with long working days, unsocial hours no lunch breaks or respite. I think 8 odd days a year paid holiday is well deserved
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

13. Likes lilac_dragon, N/A, cathtee, jane5 liked this post
    Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to charge for bank holidays, although never for christmas day, boxing day or new years day.

However, being self-employed I don't feel right charging for any bank holidays anymore as I am not prepared to work them. If you are prepared to work, then I can see normal pay if the children don't come and an enhanced rate if they do would seem reasonable.

My philosophy is if my setting is open you pay if it isn't you don't. Makes everything simple and stops me having to justify why a self-employed person would charge when they don't work.

15. Likes AliceK, Mouse, marnieb, silvermist liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    You will find that it is the older minders who charge for BH ( as do i ) because this is what we were advised to do when we trained and by the NCMA at that time.

These are my only paid holidays and i would not change it now. Although we are self employed it is not the same as a true self employed builder who can come and go as they want, decide at the drop of a hat if they want to work that day etc.

Us childminders are tied to quite a tight contract with long working days, unsocial hours no lunch breaks or respite. I think 8 odd days a year paid holiday is well deserved
    I don't charge for bank holidays - but wish I had the guts to change my charging policies so that I did - I think it is personal preference and if the parents agree with it that is fine - I have given out the dates on when I am working over Xmas and told them to let me know by end of this week if they want to pay half fee for not coming or else if will be full fee. One dad is off work and although his child will be only child here has said she will be coming as he doesn't see why he should have to pay half fee for nothing!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilliuspillius View Post
    Ive just had another childminder querying the fact that I charge for all bank holidays including christmas and boxing day. I think she was really surprised that I charge. Ive been childminding for nearly 8 years and have always charged for ALL bank holidays. IE if your child is due to attend on that day, you will get charged. This is clearly written in my contract and no parent has ever queried it.

The only parents I do not charge are those that have children attending term time only. All other children that attend all year round are charged.

Ive also made it quite clear that if im needed to work on bank holidays i charge double pay, and triple on xmas day.

Do other childminders charge? or am i in the minority?

I do work all year round except for one week in april, one week in October and two weeks in the summer. My setting is open 48 weeks a year.

The other childminder was really surprised and i think quite shocked that I charge?

Part of the reason why i charge is because the parents receive pay for bank holidays, so why shouldn't i?

Im interested to hear your views .....

No you are not the only one. I am available to work all Bank Holidays I require 4 weeks written notice if they need care and I charge double fee except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years day and Easter Monday which I would charge triple fee for. If they don't need my care and a BH falls on a contracted day they pay normal fee for the day as they have chosen not to use it.

I then take 5 weeks at half pay so they are paying for 49.5 weeks a year and so I getting more unpaid time than the average Day Nursery that will charge for at least 51 if not 52 weeks per year. If the parent takes their holiday at the same time as me then they gain because they don't pay for additional care if they don't they still pay full fee and that id their choice. All my parents at the moment have a min of six weeks holiday a year so it shouldn't be a problem to organize their holiday. I give my dates at the beginning of the year so they have loads of notice.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 27-11-2012 at 11:25 AM.

mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for everyones views. I guess it is all down to personal preference. Ive always charged, and will continue to do so. Ive never had it queried so far.

I guess we all run our businesses differently, but to suit ourselves.

19. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilliuspillius View Post
    thank you for everyones views. I guess it is all down to personal preference. Ive always charged, and will continue to do so. Ive never had it queried so far.

I guess we all run our businesses differently, but to suit ourselves.
    Exactly! It's between you & the parents what you charge, not bewteen you and any other cm who might query it!

I don't charge for my holiday time. I always take Christmas & New Year off, so don't charge for those bank holidays. All other bank holidays I am willing to work, so charge usual fee if children don't attend, double fee if they do. That's what works for me & my parents, so that's what I stick to

21. Likes bunyip liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Each to their own - if it works and your parents are happy that's all that matter
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

23. Likes silvermist, bunyip liked this post
    July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always charged for BH including the Christmas ones and never had a parent query it. My parents are more than welcome to send their children, they are after all part of the family in my house but there would be a triple fee charge.

Carol xx

25. Likes LittleLegsCM liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

If your open then fair enough but I would not charge when shut as that's just daylight robbery in my opinion .

27. Likes marnieb liked this post
    dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by migimoo View Post
    oooh-i've got one that would!!

I personally only charge for bank holidays if i'm willing to work them....if parents decide to keep LO at home they still pay normal rate,if they bring them to me they pay a higher rate for the day.
    I charge for the bank holiday Mondays through the year if it falls on a week when I have lo on a mon as it varies, as I'm happy to work those but the Christmas new year ones I charge 50% which is my holiday rate on either side as there's no way no matter how desperate a parent was would I work Christmas Day, my hubby would have sense of humour failure for a start and I'm not sharing the day by working. X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge and will continue to do so.I do work them if necessary but charge double. I do not work Xmas day/boxing day.So you are not alone.
    I have been childminding 7 years and have always charged.Nobody has ever queried it.
    Alyson x

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been minding for 17 years, I have never charged for a bank holiday as I am closed. A friend used to charge and was shocked when a parent arrived to drop off their child on a bank holiday. She had to say yes, but after that stopped charging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast