Toileting accident at playgroup , who collects?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toileting accident at playgroup , who collects?

My 3.5 yo mindee sometimes has poop accidents in his pants.
    Obviously I clean him up.

I drop off and collect him from playgroup - if he has an accident at playgroup the staff won't clean or change him.
    They say their policy is to phone the parent or carer who has to take him home, change him and take him back.

My questions are do you think they are allowed to leave a child in soiled underwear while they wait for him to be collected
    and if i am responsible for collecting him do i have to go and clean him up or can i phone his Mum to do it?

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No i would have thought that as a nursery cannot turn a child away and discriminate against a child who wears nappies and may have a health problem for example then I would have thought they are obliged to change nappies and children if required......this sounds terrible and totally wrong, never heard of such a ridiculous thing that a nursery won't change a child, a school will change a child if they have an accident.......

3. Likes jane5 liked this post
    Pipsqueak Guest

I'd be giving the nursery a copy of the Equality Act 2010 and a reminder of EVery Child Matters.
    They cannot discriminate against a child who wears a nappy - regardless of their policy.
    And I would have said to leave a child in soiled clothing for however long it takes for the parent or carer to arrive is against basic human rights.

Nursery need a good old shake and reminder

5. Likes lynnfi, LittleLegsCM, jane5, upadaisy liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So basically little one has a poop accident and they ring Mum (if you weren't in the scenario) and Mum says she is an hour away xmas shopping or she's at work. She might be delayed coming home from work or might get stuck in traffic.

So little one has to stay in poop for an hour until Mum arrives and collects? Seems a very strange thing to do...poor children at that preschool.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    So basically little one has a poop accident and they ring Mum (if you weren't in the scenario) and Mum says she is an hour away xmas shopping or she's at work. She might be delayed coming home from work or might get stuck in traffic.

So little one has to stay in poop for an hour until Mum arrives and collects? Seems a very strange thing to do...poor children at that preschool.
    Couldn't agree more!!! Sounds like an awful policy to have!!! Do the staff not like changing nappies??

Even at dd's pre-school and now school nursery they have spare clothes and they clean and change them!!!!
    Marnie x

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Playgroup (or nursery as some call it) take kids from 3 yo.

They will not accept kids in nappies at all - have to be toilet trained.

If they have an accident they say they have been told by thier superiors not clean up kids but to call parents.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If they have an accident they say they have been told by thier superiors not clean up kids but to call parents.

That is so wrong. It sound to me like a safeguarding problem as the children are basically being neglected by not changing them
    Pixie Dust

10. Likes lynnfi, LittleLegsCM liked this post
    Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by little chickee View Post
    Playgroup (or nursery as some call it) take kids from 3 yo.

It is illegal for them NOT to accept children in nappies and its illegal for them to state it. Get a copy of the Equality Act
    Its neglect to leave a child soiled like that

why are parents still using this facility?

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

it makes me so cross that nurseries still do this and if you went in, why would you not be able to clean him up there - why does parent/carer have to take them home.

if he's out of nappies generally then I guess pullups are not the answer but its outrageous that staff are not cleanign the children up - does the same apply to sick, they leave the child covered until a carer gets there.

I would as Pip says quote the equality and human rights acts at them - its not on but meantime I would not be trolling down there to change them when I might be out with the other little ones and have to go back. Not fair on others. Either mum leaves him with you NOT playschool so you can clean him up when need (def. the best option in my opinion given their view of things )

be OR preschool decide they are going to do it,
    or mum will have to oblige - you are not responsible for this. Consider would you have taken child on knowing you might have to run back and fore to preschool to change him - no
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

13. Likes rickysmiths, N/A liked this post
    july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

depends on if you are paid for when they are in playgroup, if you are contracted for that time it would be you changing the nappies.
    the playgoup are not being inclusive and i would check with the local authority if they can do that.
    karen

15. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    depends on if you are paid for when they are in playgroup, if you are contracted for that time it would be you changing the nappies.the playgoup are not being inclusive and i would check with the local authority if they can do that.
    I get paid while a child is at playgroup/nursery, but I wouldn't be going in to change nappies. I make it very clear to parents that they pay for the childcare space to be available between set hours. They are not paying me to be responsible for the child during those hours if he's not with me. So, if the nursery was closed for some reason, the space is available for the child to come to me. It doesn't mean I am on call to go running along to nursery if called on.

But as others have said, it shouldn't be an issue. Playgroup should be changing a soiled child.

17. Likes bunyip, Tatjana, jane5 liked this post
    oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Scotland - do you think that makes a difference to the regulations?

TBH its the playgroup that all my own kids went to - mine were all toilet trained properly before they went so was never an issue.
    Apart from this issue they are fab!

Thanks for your advice - i'll be prepared if they call!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Their policy is pants! Don't care what country they are in. You do not leave a child who may be upset in soiled clothes!
    Where is their 'duty of care'? It must go against their safeguarding and discrimination policies.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

During my time working in a school nursery where the children were full time at 3 years old, we had to do exactly that. We were not allowed to changed a child who had soiled themselves , I think this practice is disgusting and no child should be left in there soiled pants, one of the many reason I left. Grr.. Makes me so glad I left

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If i was collecting a child and changing him i certainly would not be returning him. Once he was home he would stay home
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

22. Likes Chimps Childminding, Ripeberry, jane5 liked this post
    july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

one of mine goes to play school, they are very good about changing her (she is potty training but regularly has accidents). I have noticed though that when one member of staff in particular is on duty, a lady with years and years of experience, my lo will come away not having been changed at all. I think it is because this lady has the attitude of we never used to and I am not going to now. The other members of staff on different days are great, and one in particular, always notices in time to take lo to the toilet before an accident happens.

Post Thanks / Like

That is shocking!!! I can't believe they are so uncaring. Poor little fella. This surely breaches the code of practice they will have signed with their LA for the funding, if not many other safeguarding and inclusion issues are being ignored.
    The isssue is not whose job it is to come in and change him, the staff are paid to care for these EYFS children and should be dealing with it as quickly and discreetly as possible. By the time you have got the other children ready and got over to playgroup he may have been in soiled clothing for ages, that is neglect on their part.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i seem to remember that this happens at our school nursery - its been a while since i dealt with them - but i remember thinking what if the child's parents work in london - are the school seriously expecting them to get on a train to change their child's clothing and then get on the train and go back to work it is madness - is it to do with their insurance or something, or staffing numbers?
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our preschool doesn't allow children in nappies either - they have to be 3 years old and toilet trained, if they soil themselfs though the staff will clean the child up and change clothes etc. Seems wrong to leave child in soiled clothes - how silly! If this was the case I would expect mum to collect after all you can't be expected to walk to the pre-school on every occasion of child soiling themself, it won't be fair on all the other children in your care or you. x

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Back when I lived in darlington my ds2 was in reception and had a poo accident - school brought his big brother , age 6 , to help him clean himself up! You can imagine the state he came home in.
    I agree with the others , PG cannot stipulate this - however if you and mum dont want to address this then she needs to keep him with you instead! Can you access the funding?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast