Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

i always gave my holiday list out in january to the parents or whenever i had a new start the dates were in the info pack.

in the 12 year *****minded i only once worked a couple of days during xmas/new year as both parents were working and it was only for 1/2 days.
    karen

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Give my holiday dates in January, although most parents forget, lose the sheet and need constant reminders as the time approaches.

I charge full for parents holidays and nothing for mine, don't wait for parents to book anymore though just accept the loss of earnings as essential to remaining sane

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyFlowers View Post
    What kind of form do you use for this? I have been trying to make one, but I'm hopeless on the computer!

I would be eternally grateful if anyone has one I could adapt for my setting.
    Hi PrettyFlowers, I print off a calender page (Google calender) for December and ask parents to tick days child will be attending and put a cross in days child will not be attending. Hope this helps.

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. You have been very helpful.

I have printed off a calender page for December and will be sending it out this week asking parents to confirm days they need me. If no demand for certain days then I will probably end up taking the day off.

xx

Post Thanks / Like

I WNt to take just over a week off, finishing friday 21st (as we go out for family dinner in the afternoon on the 24th) and not go back until the 2nd. Can I charge for the bank holidays in between even thiugh i wont work them just like a bank holiday Monday?

6. Likes jane5 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    I WNt to take just over a week off, finishing friday 21st (as we go out for family dinner in the afternoon on the 24th) and not go back until the 2nd. Can I charge for the bank holidays in between even thiugh i wont work them just like a bank holiday Monday?
    Last year I asked parents what they needed and all but 1 family kept their child off and I got full pay. 1 child came for a couple of mornings so it wasn't too bad. I felt guilty asking for full pay on bank holidays if I wasn't prepared to work on the other days.

This year I have taken 24th, 27th, 28th and 31st December as holidays at no charge and have put on the invoices that all bank holidays are full fees as in the contract. I havnt messed about feeling guilty this year, I work hard and give them excellent care for their lo's and deserve to take some time off and not lose too much money by still charging for bank holidays. Not 1 parent has questioned this and are gratefully that I am not charging for some of the days as most would not send their child anyway. It's also ironic that the 1 child that would still come is away on holiday over Christmas so I could have still charged full fees and not have any lo's.
    My dd started school in September so it is important to me to spend the Christmas holidays with her and nobody else.
    Jane xxx

8. Likes smurfette liked this post
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

My parents know my holidays at least 12 months in advance, giving them loads of time to make arrangements, I take 4 weeks at no fee. When giving out my holidays this year though I've got parents to sign a slip to say they have recieved them, as I was constantly reminding them nearer the time, but now they have signed they cant say I haven't informed them x

BucksCM Guest

Mmmmm...I don't "ask for time off" ...I tell the parents.
    A good few years ago i did...and in the end I workd a couple of days between christmas and new year with just 1 child. I decided that I wouldn't do it again and tell parents at the interview stage that i have a definate 3 weeks a year, 2 in the summer hols and the week between christmas and new year(or however it falls)
    I really can't be waiting for 3-5 sets of parents to let me know what they are doing...which is why I tell them.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually take the school christmas holidays off!! Last year 2 sets of parent said they NEEDED me, so I offered to work between Christmas and New Year!! Ended up with just one child each day and later found out both parents were actually off work (I don't charge if I'm off so not the excuse that they had to pay) - reverting back to original plan ie I close for 2 weeks over christmas!!!!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 working days over the school Xmas hols, I have just emailed the 2 parents who use me these days saying 'to help me plan that fortnight I would like to know if they are sending their child on those 3 days or not' (listed the dates and asked for reply by Mon by email). I am happy to work the days but don't want to find out at last min. they are actually not coming! If I know who I am going to have I can plan appropriately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12