Xmas Time Off - when to ask parents?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Xmas Time Off - when to ask parents?

Hi All

Every year I ask parents to complete a calender type form letting me know what days they child will be attending over the xmas period. It allows me to decide what days I want to book off as if I have only one child attending I usually will book the day off.

Just wondering when do you think is best for me to send out the calendar? In was thinking this week but worried its too early?

Many thanks

Pipsqueak Guest

Now - you need time to collate and then organise!

I had two sets of parents asking me about my xmas arrangements just after the summer hols

3. Likes Tippy Toes liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I tell all my parents when I will be closed over Christmas in the January before. Because I have my own young children I always take a few days before christmas off and go back in the new year.

xxx

5. Likes Tippy Toes, handeme liked this post
    APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Now - you need time to collate and then organise!

I had two sets of parents asking me about my xmas arrangements just after the summer hols
    Thanks Pipsqueak, was worrying it was too early to send out.

Also you don't think its cheeky to asking parents what time they are having off before I tell them what I want off??

Thanks x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did mine at the end of September! Everyone is off from 21st Dec to 2nd Jan so I get the week off on full pay

8. Likes Greengrass74, jane5 liked this post
    Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I tell mine in January what I will be off over Christmas and I remind them again about now
    Love Amanda

10. Likes Playmate liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy Toes View Post
    Thanks Pipsqueak, was worrying it was too early to send out.

Also you don't think its cheeky to asking parents what time they are having off before I tell them what I want off??

Thanks x
    No that is exactly what I do and I have the week off until after New Year and the parents will pay because it is their holiday. I give them a grid at the end of Sept asking what days they will be taking off or that they need me and I tell them I need it early so I can plan my family things around Christmas. I didn't get any of the forms back until after half term.

Next year I am thinking of putting on them: 'If this form is not returned to me before ........ I will assume you are taking holiday for all the days detailed on the form'.

12. Likes Tippy Toes liked this post
    APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    No that is exactly what I do and I have the week off until after New Year and the parents will pay because it is their holiday. I give them a grid at the end of Sept asking what days they will be taking off or that they need me and I tell them I need it early so I can plan my family things around Christmas. I didn't get any of the forms back until after half term.

Next year I am thinking of putting on them: 'If this form is not returned to me before ........ I will assume you are taking holiday for all the days detailed on the form'.
    Thanks for the help rickysmiths x

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont wait for them to tell me I tell them when I am not working, I ususaly take the week between christams and new year off to spend time with my family, If im not working then I dont charge as the space is not avablibe, if I gamble and wait for them to tell me , because they pay when they dont come for their holidays then they could change their mind at the last minute and want me to have them anyway.

15. Likes smurfette liked this post
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

HI

It is fine if you want to ask now: just say when you need to know by, maybe give a reminder a week before you need to know and if they haven't let you know by then, make the decision that works best for you anyway . Until I recently decided to only work term time, I used to ask parents to let me know by 4 weeks in advance of the first day of school hols and made no secret of the fact that I would only be open if there was enough demand.

Made the decision to stick to term time as pnly had one year round family and it wasn't worth my while opening for one child. As the other parents hardly needed me and always on short notice the year round family kept getting messed around so now at least they know when they've to make alternative arrangements for. I love having all school hols off: I just have to budget v carefully!

good luck
    Last edited by Goatgirl; 12-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd ask now too and I'd put a date to be returned by on the form.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of form do you use for this? I have been trying to make one, but I'm hopeless on the computer!

I would be eternally grateful if anyone has one I could adapt for my setting.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I ask parents what they want me for - then if no-one wants me I can charge half fee - if I tell them in advance when I am off I can't charge them anything. I have one parent who works in a pub so she will be working normal days but there again her gran will prob be off. I need all the money I can get as going ski-ing in Jan and taking week off then.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We take the time off and let parents know nice and early so they can make their plans

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am taking week of 24 dec and New Year's Day. I do a quarterly newsletter and told everyone last Easter. I advised everyone in September that we were going away for two weeks in June next year not been away for two weeks for over 10 years. Like others I do not charge if I am not working but I would rather do that and spend quality time with my two boys.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    I dont wait for them to tell me I tell them when I am not working, I ususaly take the week between christams and new year off to spend time with my family, If im not working then I dont charge as the space is not avablibe, if I gamble and wait for them to tell me , because they pay when they dont come for their holidays then they could change their mind at the last minute and want me to have them anyway.

The thing is I don't mind working during that time I would rather take my holiday at a different time. I just like to know what the parents are doing because if they are off then I can make different plans.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyFlowers View Post
    What kind of form do you use for this? I have been trying to make one, but I'm hopeless on the computer!

I would be eternally grateful if anyone has one I could adapt for my setting.

I just listed the days from Monday 24th Dec to Friday 4th Jan and asked them to tick the days they were taking as holiday.

I include Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day as well because I am prepared to work them with notice but for 3 x my normal fee if they are not used and they fall on a contracted day they are paid for. In 18 years I have been asked to work one Boxing Day and it was great fun I was paid £150 so well worth it!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I give my whole years holiday dates in Jan or feb.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I give out my hols in January each year, but this year I have been asked already which week in august i will be off, so I have chosen
    my weeks for next year already and notified some parents, as for xmas week I asked last week who wants me and when, so far nobody
    wants me xmas eve so day off full pay don't do xmas day or boxing day so just need to have all kids off on thurs day and then I
    get the full week off
    Cath

sep2001
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CSSIW
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Its never to early to plan ahead

At the moment my minded children dont normally come in the shool holidays and I have had quite a few weeks this year without them but cant really plan weeks ahead as parents that pay a retainer can change their mind to use a place as long as they give correct notice as per contract , meaning that basically I am on call (sort off).

I normally book 1 week off over Christmas and make myself avaiable for the other week but as hubby is on shut down for nearly 2 weeks and we have had hardly any time off together I thought why not book both weeks. Yes I dont get a retainer for the one week but I am with hubby with out the worry of being asked to work . I cant wait to be honest as we have both had a very trying/emotional/draining/ etc etc etc year and so looking forward to the break together

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast