When do you/don't you fill in an accident form?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When do you/don't you fill in an accident form?

Hi,

I was just wondering when you would or wouldn't fill in an accident form.

I have seen some childminders who has a little one sitting it who has fallen backwards and they have not filled in an accident form but I have a lo who today was sitting up and fell back and hit his head. I was going to fill in an accident for but as I have seen other childminders not doing it I am wondering if I am filling in form for every minor accident when I don't need to. What would you do?

Thanks

melco

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I fill them in for head injuries, trapped fingers. If another child is involved I have an incident form but Ive never had to fill one of these out.

I don't fill them in for minor things such as a scraped knees or little scrapes etc.

In 5yrs I've only filled in about 6.
    One was a 7yr old playing football who had the ball kicked at her full pelt in the stomach
    Four were head bangs
    One was a broken arm at the park for an 8yr old

Definitely fill in for a head bang as they have to be monitored afterwards
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I fill them in for head injuries, trapped fingers. If another child is involved I have an incident form but Ive never had to fill one of these out.

I don't fill them in for minor things such as a scraped knees or little scrapes etc.

In 5yrs I've only filled in about 6.
    One was a 7yr old playing football who had the ball kicked at her full pelt in the stomach
    Four were head bangs
    One was a broken arm at the park for an 8yr old

Definitely fill in for a head bang as they have to be monitored afterwards
    Thanks thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Little ones just learning to sit up topple over often - I have only filled in an accident form if they went down with some force and/or landed on a toy - I have made myself a minor incident form for small bumps and scrapes as don't feel they warrant everything in duplicate like NCMA accident book.

If you have a very wobbly baby - try putting cushions round it to soften their fall.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always fill them in if the skin is broken because infections could take hold.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Little ones just learning to sit up topple over often - I have only filled in an accident form if they went down with some force and/or landed on a toy - I have made myself a minor incident form for small bumps and scrapes as don't feel they warrant everything in duplicate like NCMA accident book.

If you have a very wobbly baby - try putting cushions round it to soften their fall.
    He has been sitting up for ages without no problems, if he does fall its normally forward and he saves himself, I have had him for 5months and this is the first time he has done it.

Thinks I might do a minor incident form like someone else said.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I fill one in if the child is marked eg cut bruise bump scrape etc

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know for sure the other CMs wouldn't do an accident form when they had a spare moment? If I was out at a group or the park and a little one had a bump or scrape, I would probably deal with the accident, make a mental note of the time, but do the paperwork when we got home. But I also agree you need to have some common sense about what you class as an accident - if you wrote down every time a toddler went down on their knees or sat down on their bottom you wouldn't have any time left to play with them. I'd record if they bumped their head or face or if they had a graze or cut, but not every gentle falling over.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mummits View Post
    Do you know for sure the other CMs wouldn't do an accident form when they had a spare moment? If I was out at a group or the park and a little one had a bump or scrape, I would probably deal with the accident, make a mental note of the time, but do the paperwork when we got home. But I also agree you need to have some common sense about what you class as an accident - if you wrote down every time a toddler went down on their knees or sat down on their bottom you wouldn't have any time left to play with them. I'd record if they bumped their head or face or if they had a graze or cut, but not every gentle falling over.
    I know because she told me. At the place we were at she was given an accident by the person running the group and she said she did not feel she needed to fill it in for that and she doesn't at home.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I fill one in if the child is left with a bruise/mark or has had a bumped head. I don't fill one in for minor scrapes on knees or elbows although I do write these in their daily diaries and tell parent on collection.

Post Thanks / Like

I fill them in for any injury - whether it's a bruise, grazed knee or whatever and always for a head bump because complications may not occur until hours after the bump.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!