Thread: 5 under 5

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 5 under 5

who does it?
    what ages? and do you cope well with it?

Is it a complete no no to anyone?

i have a massive numbers issue, all continuation of care but i'm not to sure if i can manage

would like to here from other cm's who are working with 5 under five x

Thanks in advance x

jun10
    Post Thanks / Like

Will watch this thread,as I will be in similar circumstances this summer

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have on 2 days a week a 12 month, 14 month, 2 1/2 years, 3 3/4 years and 2 rising 5s age 4yrs 4 months and 4yrs 3months so I actually have 6 under 5s all day in school holidays.

I have had 4 of these lo's for over a year and youngest has just started with me (but had signed contracts 7 months ago when i thought i only had 2 in the early years) and the eldest is my dd.

I find it ok because they are all well behaved and know me and what I expect from them.

I have a triple buggy so the 3 lo's are strapped in safe when we go out or on the school run and the 3 eldest hold the buggy.

It can be very loud but I am very organised on these 2 days and have activities out for them and keep the day very structured and adult led for most of the day. I have a large garden and lots of toys so they don't fight over toys ect...

It's exhausting and I feel as though I don't have a minute to my self but with these particular children it works. I didn't intend have 6 so young but with 2 parents changing days I kind of got talked into it because I am within my numbers with the 2 rising 5s.
    Last edited by jane5; 17-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    Jane xxx

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have three under two one day a week and by the end of the day i am completely shattered
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

5. Likes buildingblocks liked this post
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

jane

but thats technically 4 under five isn't it? there aged 5 even through holidays when they start school aren't they?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I regularly have 4 under 5, the oldest being only just 3. I manage that fine and could probably add another child into the mix if I had to, but wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.

It really does depend on the ages of the children. At one time the 4 I had were a 6 weeks old, a 6mth old, an 18mth old & a 2yr old. It was very hard work & luckily only for 2 hours, twice a week. The children are now 7mths, 12mths, 24mths & almost 3 and full days. I wouldn't see any problem with adding in the 3yr old who comes another day, but I wouldn't manage another baby.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The ages of mine are 1 year, 17 months, and 3 three years old.

would be for two hours every day with a nursery afternoon drop off, then back down to 4

all three year olds are great walkers,

would you do it?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bear23 View Post
    The ages of mine are 1 year, 17 months, and 3 three years old.

would be for two hours every day with a nursery afternoon drop off, then back down to 4

all three year olds are great walkers,

would you do it?
    Hmm...I think the ages are manageable around the house, but I'm not sure about taking them out & about. How far is the nursery? Would you walk it every day? What about when it's snowing or blowing a gale? It's alright walking with 3 little ones when the weather is good, but if any one of them (or all of them) started playing up, it's difficult enough, never mind if you've got another 2 in a pushchair. If you took them all in a car, could you manage getting them all in & out?
    Do you have all the children already, so you know them well, or would any of them be new children? Do you ever have more than 3 at a time now, or would it be a jump from 3 to 5?

10. Likes Bear23 liked this post
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hmm...I think the ages are manageable around the house, but I'm not sure about taking them out & about. How far is the nursery? Would you walk it every day? What about when it's snowing or blowing a gale? It's alright walking with 3 little ones when the weather is good, but if any one of them (or all of them) started playing up, it's difficult enough, never mind if you've got another 2 in a pushchair. If you took them all in a car, could you manage getting them all in & out?
    Do you have all the children already, so you know them well, or would any of them be new children? Do you ever have more than 3 at a time now, or would it be a jump from 3 to 5?
    thanks mouse.

this is the sitsution

I've had them all a long time, some of them have left and come back for various reasons.
    up until may i had a variation for 4, i then lost a few now they all want to come back, its only 5 under five for three days for two hours.
    the nursery is about a ten minute walk, wouldn't use car as it would take forever. i have a buggy board for one, two on either side, the two little ones in buggy?

whay would you do? my main concern is not the 3 year olds, its the two little ones as the need nearly all my attention, they take, scream etc. would it be fair on them all to have five? altho the 3 year olds are no problem and play nicely together.

my other concern is lets say theres an emergency in the house how more difficult it would be to get 5 out? and how do people deal with this and prove it to mr o, just not sure what to do really.... don't want to over stretch myself,

did ofsted ever agree to 5 under 5 before this self variation stuff?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do Ofsted count it as continuity when children leave & want to come back?

I think you're asking yourself the right questions. You know all the children & are concerned that it might be too much for the younger ones. You're clearly thinking of the impact on them, not merely consider whether or not you could manage. That what it's all about now.

You also have to be able to explain to the parents how it's going to work. If you're having doubts, could you convince them that it's a good idea?

I did have a variation approved for a similar situation last year, but decided not to go ahead with it. On paper it looked OK - was for a limited time each day as one of the children went to nursery, all the children were current children so it was for continuity, I had all the equipment needed, I could work time into each day for each child to have individual attention, parents were all happy etc etc. Ofsted agreed to it, but when I thought about it I knew it wasn't right for me or the children, so had to let one of the children go. I realised I didn't really want to do it, but was only agreeing to it as I didn't want to let anyone down. I felt bad about it, but knew it was the best for everyone.

At the end of the day, only you can decide whether or not you want to take it on. If you do, I would do it on a trial basis until you can see how it is going to work.

Just another thought. What about during holidays? Would you need to have the nursery child for longer?

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Do Ofsted count it as continuity when children leave & want to come back?

I think you're asking yourself the right questions. You know all the children & are concerned that it might be too much for the younger ones. You're clearly thinking of the impact on them, not merely consider whether or not you could manage. That what it's all about now.

You also have to be able to explain to the parents how it's going to work. If you're having doubts, could you convince them that it's a good idea?

I did have a variation approved for a similar situation last year, but decided not to go ahead with it. On paper it looked OK - was for a limited time each day as one of the children went to nursery, all the children were current children so it was for continuity, I had all the equipment needed, I could work time into each day for each child to have individual attention, parents were all happy etc etc. Ofsted agreed to it, but when I thought about it I knew it wasn't right for me or the children, so had to let one of the children go. I realised I didn't really want to do it, but was only agreeing to it as I didn't want to let anyone down. I felt bad about it, but knew it was the best for everyone.

At the end of the day, only you can decide whether or not you want to take it on. If you do, I would do it on a trial basis until you can see how it is going to work.

Just another thought. What about during holidays? Would you need to have the nursery child for longer?
    No, three of them are term time only, so would be left with just one 3 year old and the one year old during holidays etc. thanks mouse, alot to think about there... for me its not the financial gain of having them all, its that i know them all been through the ups and downs of their familys lifes and want to be here consistent for them all, but i want them all to be safe so will have a proper think about this xx thank you
    Last edited by Bear23; 17-10-2012 at 08:12 PM.

14. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bear23 View Post
    jane

but thats technically 4 under five isn't it? there aged 5 even through holidays when they start school aren't they?
    I have 4 in the early years and 2 that started full time school last month, the 2 that started school are classed as rising 5s so go into the next age group for numbers, but they have only just had their 4th birthdays (End of June and July) so they are both under the age of 5.

As others have said it depends on the ages of the lo's and also their personality, I had 4 of them when they were aged between 8 months and 2 1/2 and that was harder work.
    Jane xxx

16. Likes Bear23 liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

since March I have had 2 x 1 years and 2 x 3 years - or on one day 3 x 1 years and 1 x 3. By summer hols I was burnt out. I consider myself fairly fit and very healthy and I also have a no child day each week for paperwork. Its really hard work - no way would I do 5 unless maybe 3 or 4 of them at least were 4 nearly 5 or very well behaved and independent 3 year olds.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Two days a week I have a 9 month old, 13 month old, 25 month old and 4 year old. My biggest problem is getting out and about. The car isn't an issue but it's getting from the car to other places, yes the two youngest can go in the double pram, the 4 year old will walk but the 25 month old is not a great walker. We went for what should have been a 15 min walkl on Tuesday, it took nearly an hour, he keeps letting go of the pram, he has a wrist strap and keeps falling over his own feet or the pram wheels - nightmare!!!

No point getting a triple pram as it won't fit in the car and let's face it soon enough he will get better at walking so it would be a waste of money.

I think you need to seriously consider how you would cope with so many so young, feeding times can be a problem and as for nappy changes, well let's just say some days I feel like it's all I do

Also you need to risk assess how you would get them out of the house safely in case of an emergency

Let's put it this way on those two days there is wine in the fridge waiting

19. Likes Bear23 liked this post
    Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A year ago I had two 1yr olds and two nearly 3s and we walked everywhere without problems but I wouldn't do it again as I felt the sessions were filled with the neverending feeding,napping and nappy changing routines of the babies and that the older ones missed out on things ,but it was only for a few months but no def. not again x

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

today I have a 4.5yrold (not yet at school) a 3.5yrold, 2.5yrold and a15month old, I have had them all for a long time and they have grown up with me so I know them well and dont have any problem getting out and about with them or doing activities with them. I also think the age group I have helps because the older ones are more independant, I think I would be happy to add a 5th child to the mix but only if I knew the child well enough. for me it wouldnt be the practicalitiys of it all it would be more about how well I know the children and wether their behaviour when out or at home was going to work, ie if you have a busy child who dosent listen then its going to be hard work but if, like mine today, they are all fairly calm children who know my rules and who are pretty well behaved then for me this would work

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

since january ive had 1yr ..2yr..3yr..4yr old and my 4yr who is at school .i use backpacks with harnesses built in and a single buggy for the 1yr.was hectic but do-able.since sept the 3 and 4 started full time school and the 2 yr moved away...now ive got the 1yr old on his own..everyday feels like a holidayuntil school run time when i get them all back ...ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it's do able for such a short time period. Only way to know is to try it.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

to be honest i don't think i would feel confisent walking with three by the buggy. the only option i can see is to buy the t4 buggy so i have space if one kicks off or trips etc.

i'm thinking its gonna be a no tho.

i'm trying to see if i can move them around some how, as one will work her shifts around me and ones also self employed and works at home.

This is a example off how it is
    Mon = n till 3, D till 2, n till preschool at twelve, z till 6
    tue = n till 3, L till 5, n till preschool, z till 6
    wed = n till 3, m till three, z till 6, n till preschool, d till 6 ( dunno what to do about this)
    thurs = n till 3, m till 3, z till 6, n till preschool, possibly z
    fri, n till 3. z till 6, l till 5, d till 2

gonna have to say no really, never been so busy in my life with eyfs children!!
    my head hurts with it all x

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

and another thing n who goes to preschool, books a full week just incase. today for example its nearly 11 and i still haven't got her, and if she comes now i drop her off at 12.30, most days are like this cos mum is a student, but she does pay for a full time space just incase she needs me,

arghhhhhh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast