Fire Evacuation with two non walkers
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember being told on a training course I think first aid that most phones override any locks if you type 999, obviously I've never tried this as I haven't needed to dial 999 since being told this and don't want to ring 999 if it does work!

Non childminder member
    CM Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
    Can I just ask what you use to let los know theres a fire? I have a whistle but to be honest the los dont know what it means as theyre only 14 months old. x
    I think calling out 'fire - lets evacuate' is the best option, plus demonstrating what the fire alarm sounds like and what it means. Unless you carry around a whistle all the time you won't necessarily be able to access it, and rummaging through a draw for a whistle to blow is probably not number one on your list of things to do when you are faced with an actual fire!

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dawn100 View Post
    I remember being told on a training course I think first aid that most phones override any locks if you type 999, obviously I've never tried this as I haven't needed to dial 999 since being told this and don't want to ring 999 if it does work!
    One of my older phones did but the last two I have had don't. Just try pressing one 9 on your keypad whilst phone is locked to see if it displays on your screen

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I'm going to scrap taking older kids upstairs then to rescue the baby - I always felt uncomfortable doing it, but fire brigade when they came round said I should keep all children together. I have a large porch, I think I'm going to practice putting older children in there and tell them I'm going upstairs to get the baby - count to 100 and if I don't come back down, open the door and go to a neighbour. I can get up and down the stairs and get the baby in less than a minute and we live at top of a quiet cul de sac so little risk of them getting run over or lost.

How many people teach the children to dial 999 in an emergency - in the summer I was in the garden and stood on the bench to reach something and said to the children what would you do if I fell off this bench and was hurt. One 4 year old said "cry" and 3 year old said ring an ambulance, when I asked what number he would ring - he said 999 - but these days with mobile phones that need unlocking or walk about house phones that need a button pressing before you dial - it isn't as easy as it was with old fashioned phones?
    We need to teach the children 112 now as they can do it from mobile phone even if lock i think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12