Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jaw dropping moment - holiday fees.

I had a parent ask me if I'd consider not charging them if she takes a month off to go on holiday (I charge full price when they are off and nothing when we're off). I nearly choked. She'd be still getting tax credits. Is this legal?
    I didn't really know what to say. She said she can't take time off to go when I do as it is more expensive.
    She said nurseries do it if they get enough notice because they can shift the staff somewhere else. Do they really?
    She'd actually 'threatened' me with a nursery. I'm starting to feel like giving the notice myself.
    Any thoughts?

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

she knew when she signed up that you charged over their holidays so stick with this... but i do love a parent who tries it on makes me laugh

im hard up for entertainment i suppose
    Tess1981

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

No offence to this mum but if she can afford to take a month long holiday then she can afford to go on a standard 7-14 ay holiday when you do!what a blooming cheek
    Blessed Be!

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I thought I had heard it all. Why does she want to take a month off ?
    What a cheek especially as she is getting tax credits.

Oct, 87
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nurseries DO charge parents when they are on holiday (think parent is trying to pull the wool over your eyes).
    A lot of childminders charge parents when they have holidays, so parent should think themselves lucky you dont charge.
    I would stick by your contract and state full pay, no discount.

Carol

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that I hadn't heard of a nursery doing this!

I would tell her that the other way she could do it is pay extra in advance to cover so that she doesn't actually have to pay that month.

If she wants to send lil one to a nursery of course that's her choice and that's fine and not to forget you require a months notice in writing.

Don't be blackmailed

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of job does she have where she could even take a month off!
    I remember years ago when I worked in a office job. A long standing employee of 25yrs had the chance to go around the world for 6 weeks and they told her that she could only have 3 weeks and she she didn't like it she could resign.

She resigned and I don't blame her either
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

even if she found a nursery that would do it - their fees month by month would be much higher. tell her to take a hike - professionally of course
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :-)
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the parental leave, if same as my parents, I have one set who takes every year in August, but no more now as child is over 5. Parents can do this but it's unpaid, you can do it each yr till chil is 5.

I knew a year in advance, and averaged my payments anyway.
    Weightloss -2lbs (14lb to go)

may,01
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly View Post
    I had a parent ask me if I'd consider not charging them if she takes a month off to go on holiday (I charge full price when they are off and nothing when we're off). I nearly choked. She'd be still getting tax credits. Is this legal?
    I didn't really know what to say. She said she can't take time off to go when I do as it is more expensive.
    She said nurseries do it if they get enough notice because they can shift the staff somewhere else. Do they really?
    She'd actually 'threatened' me with a nursery. I'm starting to feel like giving the notice myself.
    Any thoughts?
    tell her to go to the nursery,,,some parents will try anything,,you have got to be strict,,it is a business not a charity

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If they take a holiday I charge the amount they get for me from tax credit
    70% single parent, 50% couple. In the contract these people have 100% fee the whole year round but I don't charge their contribution if they are on holiday,
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

If she has threatened you with a nursery if you don't meet her demands I would call her bluff!

I would talk to her then hand her a letter saying

Dear X

As I am unable to meet your holiday payment requirements, as discussed I accept your 4 weeks notice of termination so you may put Y in to a nursery. The last day of care will be XX/XX/XXXX

Kind regards

If she questions the letter look dumb struck and say "Oh sorry I thought you said if I didn't, not charge you, then you were going to take Y to a nursery... was I mistaken?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

And how does she suppose you pay your mortgage and bills if you never charged when parents had all their holidays??? They just don't THINK. Be firm with her. She knew this when she signed up.
    Jen

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    If she has threatened you with a nursery if you don't meet her demands I would call her bluff!

I would talk to her then hand her a letter saying

Dear X

As I am unable to meet your holiday payment requirements, as discussed I accept your 4 weeks notice of termination so you may put Y in to a nursery. The last day of care will be XX/XX/XXXX

Kind regards

If she questions the letter look dumb struck and say "Oh sorry I thought you said if I didn't, not charge you, then you were going to take Y to a nursery... was I mistaken?
    Yes I would do the same. Serve her right for making threats.

xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet she can only afford to take a months holiday if you don't charge her, I think I will try that with my mortgage, I could afford another 2weeks abroad then.......!!!!
    Jane xxx

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an enquiry very similar this week, parent had been to see me and was told the fees, she then proceeded to tell me that she had seen another childminder who would do it for £20.00 a week less than me and would I like to re-negotiate my rates, erm, no these are my fees, the hours were actually outside my normal working hours but as I needed the money then I was prepared to work these hours for her, I told her to go to the other very inexperienced childminder. I notice that she is still looking on childcare.co.uk, so me thinks she was really trying it on. I might need the money but I am not being held to ransom.
    Teacake2

Post Thanks / Like

we have a family who actually terminated their contract and signed up again when they came back so they could get a holiday without paying. Its not like they are hard up either, parents are senior professionals in well paid jobs. I think they may try the same this year, we are just trying to plan a way to stop this happening. It's not fair on us or the other families who play by the rules

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annsplace View Post
    we have a family who actually terminated their contract and signed up again when they came back so they could get a holiday without paying. Its not like they are hard up either, parents are senior professionals in well paid jobs. I think they may try the same this year, we are just trying to plan a way to stop this happening. It's not fair on us or the other families who play by the rules

Just don't let them come back
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Just don't let them come back
    Thats what I was thinking

I would say there may not be a place if you want to come back and then would make sure there wasnt

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
    And how does she suppose you pay your mortgage and bills if you never charged when parents had all their holidays??? They just don't THINK. Be firm with her. She knew this when she signed up.
    ditto!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast