Thread: advice please

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default advice please

advice please, we go out as much as we can useally every day, i have a parent who seems to want her LO taken out morning and afternoon, we are really lucky weve only 2/3 children and been able to go to farms and fundays and lots of other events, i feel she should be grateful we go out as much as we can and we feel we offer good educational trips, but getting quite tired of her remarks she is making each day. working with my sister we can eventually have 10 children and then i think it may be 2 or 3 nice trips a week, i do have a poster saying we go out as much as possible but it depends on the weather how many children are here and our routine but any advice on how to deal with this, i dont like being dictated too about how i rum my business and how often we go on trips, have been in childcare 30 years so i feel i do a damn good job at childminding, useally can be pretty blunt if someone says something i disagree or quick to challenge but your advice will be gratefully recieved on what i can do or say to her as its getting us down and making us feel guilty on the days we really cant get out due to other things happening, many thanks to you for all your advice your all brilliant!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got a parent who is exactly the same. Expects us to go on 'big' outings every day. I do take the children out every day but its usually to the local park which is lovely, childrens centre classes etc - things that dont cost a fortune as its not as if we earn a fortune to pay for these expensive trips! Children can learn lots from librarys, parks, beach etc. I tend to ignore her comments and tell her how much the children enjoyed whatever we did that day. I certainly dont feel guilty.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree, as hard as it is, just ignore her. After all, if she isn't happy she doesn't have to bring her child to you. It sound like you do more than enough trips etc. I know some minders that only go out for the school run or the garden, and don't even go to the beach when its less than a mile away and they have a car big enough.
    I think we all have different ways of doing things, parents choose us for what we offer that suits their requirements, all the time someone brings their child to me I assume they are happy. If they used a nursery they wouldn't go out half as much as a lot of minders do.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I go out some days... but not all!

Tell the mum that children get a balance of inside, outside and outing activities in the best childminding provisions!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried sitting down with mum and talking over her expectations and what you are able to offer, how your activities stretch the children and follow their interests and how you don't need to be out and about( indeed its not good to always be out) to meet the children's needs and next steps.

I say this because I had a new mum who talked about me going out and about to places everyday. When we sat and chatted she felt the best way to keep children happy was to entertain them with visits out. We talked about the eyfs, children's individual interests and how I tailor each day to meet children's needs. I showed her how trips complement the activities we did at home and in the local environment to provide a rich and varied curriculum. Mum sent for her own copy of the eyfs, she became my best parent at working in partnerships, giving me ideas to do with the children but also taking on board my suggestions.

I think the daily comments were just her way of trying to feel she was part of her child's day, after our chat things ran very smoothly and I was so sad when the family moved on when lo went to school.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, apart from the costs - children need time to just "be". they can't do that if they are constantly in new places and outings. They need to be in familiar surroundings with familiar resources to be confident to explore independently -they can't do that if they are in new places every day.

It's well known that children need continuity of resources so they feel comfy and can explore the "new" experiences and resources set out within that environment.

Outings have their place but not as a sole learning tool.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are out every day you would struggle to meet the EYFS too - children learn a lot from being at home and just playing with playdough etc

As I do a school run and sometimes a nursery run at lunchtime it is almost impossible for me to do big trips out every day but take children to playgroups, the park, walks round the river, play in the garden and time at home. I tend to do bigger trips in the school holidays.

I would sit down and explain your concerns to the parent and see how she responds she may just want to feel involved and she may not fully understand the EYFS - and who could blame her!

Hope this helps

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

all our bigger trips were during the school holidays, there is no way i would be doing big trips everyday, on the school run we would stop off at the park on the way home the kids loved this, it would maybe be for 1/2 an hour or so as pick up times usually dictate a lot of what we do and we would sometimes have our snack while walking back to the house, as sometimes the kids came out of school hungry. i have a wood beside my house so we would go in there and collect things for collage/art. what about the children do they not get to play at home with your resources interacting with each other as they do so. yes i would go to soft play, swimming occasionally with them and toddlers every week.
    karen

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think some parents think they should be out all the time as they are feeling a bit guilty that they are not there to take them themselves.

I have had children come to me who are out all the time with parents and want to do nothing more at mine than chill in the house/garden

A mix is good and it sounds like that is what they are getting
    Happy to be back with the Greenies