Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: christmas hols?

Registered Childminder since
    may10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default christmas hols?

Just woundering how much time you all have off over christmas

last year I worked up until christmas eve and was back for 1 child on new years eve

this year im thinking of taking from friday 21st od december nut not ure what date to go back its either wednesday the 2nd or monday the 7th

what do you think ??

Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I finish on Friday 21st Dec and return to work on Thurs 3rd Jan.Our schools dont go back until the 7th Jan.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have this in my contract

"The Childminder shall not be available on Christmas Eve (24th December) or the three working days that typically fall between Christmas and New Year.
    Additionally if the 24th December falls on a Tuesday then The Childminder will be unavailable on the 23rd December and should the 1st January fall on a Thursday then The Childminder will be unavailable on the 2nd January."

I have Thursdays off so this year I will be closing the Friday before Christmas too to give me a clear block. My family had booked off the first week back but that got cancelled so I will be back on the 2nd.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm finishing on 21st when school finishes and having 2 weeks off. I've learnt over the 5yrs that no one needs me over the Xmas period and if they ever do it's only dribs and drabs so book two weeks off
    Although it also depends on what day Xmas falls as well as to whether I have a full two weeks or not
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The only paid holiday I have in my contracts is the period over Christmas were I am shut from the 22nd until the day after the new year's bank holiday which could be either the 2nd or 3rd of January.

I just feel that it is such a hectic time for all of December that I would like some time off without having to worry about losing a weeks worth of pay. None of parents seem to mind.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i usually take the week between xmas and new year - if they want to take extra time its fine but i then charge x
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I finish the day the schools close and go back when they open
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I finish on 21st December and back on 2nd January. I used to play chicken with the parents to see if they would book it off first but always ended up with 1 child who's parents would send because they were paying so just book Christmas with my other holidays now in February for the whole year.

It's lovely knowing I'll have a nice big break with no odd days in between

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking the whole of the school holidays off this year, last year I worked the week in between Xmas and New Year and really didn't like it, felt like my son couldn't enjoy his presents without LO's annoying him!

Think the schools finish here on the 20th December then they go back on either the 7th or 8th of January!

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always take the 2 weeks the schools are off as holiday every christmas
    Love Amanda

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

err not sure, definately 25,26th and new years day, waiting to see who wants me, already had 4 weeks off and all bank hols will soon start asking who will need me its only 15 weeks away must start shopping
    Cath

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    I finish on 21st December and back on 2nd January. I used to play chicken with the parents to see if they would book it off first but always ended up with 1 child who's parents would send because they were paying so just book Christmas with my other holidays now in February for the whole year.

It's lovely knowing I'll have a nice big break with no odd days in between
    just checked the days of the week for Christmas etc and I will be the same as you

I like to shut the door on the toys and relax
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

BucksCM Guest

A good few years ago I had just one child who would still come in that week inbetween...I don't do it now.
    I let the parents know at the first "chat" that I take two weeks during the summer hols and the week(or so) inbetween christmas and new year.
    Haven't had any complaints yet.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I will shut from xmas day to new years day. I told the parents in my first newsletter of the year back in Jan 2012. Last week a parent asked if I had decided yet what I was working at xmas and apologised for asking me so far in advance lol! I told her it was ok as I had let her know a week after xmas what I would be working already!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking the 2 weeks off.

4 of my children are term time only, 2 of the others have parents who are off the same time and the other 2 make alternative arrangements

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I finish on 21st december when my children finish and I am not returning until 7th January Much to the parents sheer horror that I actually WANT to take time off and spend it with my family and that I've given them 5mths notice too

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    The only paid holiday I have in my contracts is the period over Christmas were I am shut from the 22nd until the day after the new year's bank holiday which could be either the 2nd or 3rd of January.

I just feel that it is such a hectic time for all of December that I would like some time off without having to worry about losing a weeks worth of pay. None of parents seem to mind.
    I am thinking about doing this, or something similar, at least

I am currently booked to work the 21st and think we had said we would be back to work on the 3rd, as we were going to be away. I might stick with that actually as it gives us one extra day off (we, co-minders anyway, I will be taking about 6 months off after christmas)

HX

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I finish the day the schools close and go back when they open
    Same here
    Toothfairy

Post Thanks / Like

I intend to have the whole of the school holidays off!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCM View Post
    A good few years ago I had just one child who would still come in that week inbetween...I don't do it now.
    I let the parents know at the first "chat" that I take two weeks during the summer hols and the week(or so) inbetween christmas and new year.
    Haven't had any complaints yet

same here but at the moment i have term time only children and get half fee on the days they are not with me... so i get loads of days he he
    Tess1981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast