Registered Childminder since
    sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Penny

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    thats brilliant thankyou Penny, worded much better then my one!
    can I just ask do if we give a letter like yours to the parents now do we sill need to do one for each individual variation or does this cover all.
    It is up to you - I will not be doing one each time - if it something like a sibling starting I will put it in my newsletter - if emergency - just verbal or text.

However we all run our settings differently ans so will all approach this differently as well.

Penny

onceinabluemoon Guest

Thank you Penny, they look fab and just what I need. I've so much to do in the next 4 weeks I'm really beginning to panic so this is well received (not all CM stuff), and I'm grateful thanks

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Penny, I too forgot about that one, will be getting up to speed when I get back from hols in 2 weeks
    Cath

mar 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Penny, thats so helpful

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Penny, both documents are a great help

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Penny can I just ask - it sounds lile you 'inform' your parents rather than ask their permission - do you just tell them then or do you get them to sign an acknowledgment of some kind?

sep 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    Hi Penny can I just ask - it sounds lile you 'inform' your parents rather than ask their permission - do you just tell them then or do you get them to sign an acknowledgment of some kind?
    Yes I have already 'informed' them - in my case by verbal conversation and information in my newsletter. Then a letter and form to sign.

In my case I suppose it is a bit different to some because I already have a variation for 2 children -so discussions about how I meet all children's needs were had well before this - in fact almost a year ago when I applied for the variation.

However my view is that this is my business - ans I consider it important to be able to offer flexibility to ALL parents using my childminding service to ensure continuity of care

So point one - All parents may request a change of or additional hours or days . If a parents was not happy about this then I am not the right childminder for them (same as I am not the right childminder for a parent who does not want me to own dogs).

Point two - I personally do not think it right that a parent could stop another parent from requesting a continuity of care request - what if one parent did not like another parent or their child - that could be discrimination. Therefore by informing them of my intentions, I am removing that potential.

Point three - It is my decision if I consider I can meet all the children's needs - or not. The parents can not make that decision. It is my registration, my reputation, my grade and my business at risk - the parents have to trust me on this (the same as they trust me to keep their child safe and meet their child's needs all day every day)

Of course parents must be told of the impact on their child - for example if their child will be required to walk more as not enough pushchair space - but it is up to me to reassure the parent that I have though about all potential impacts and have put into place measures so each child's needs are met.

Personally I think if a parent disagrees which my assessment of the situation = then we will need to sit down for a good chat about this - and if we can reach a compromise then I or the parent will need to give notice.

I am in my opinion meeting the requirement of the revised EYFS - partnership workin id a two way process

Penny

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

when we inform parents of a variation verbally or in writing do we need to put the age of the extra child? I am asuming we cant put the childs name down for confidentiality although it wont be hard for the parent to work out who the extra one is of course.
    I was just going to put somthing like

' Inline with ofsteds regulations this is to inform you that as of the (date) my rations on xxdays will change from 3 under 5's to 4 under 5s. As perviously discussed in my policy all your childs needs will still be met. should you need to discuss this matter further please let me know and we can arrange a convinent time for both of us.
    thanks'

would somthing like this be ok for when we actutualy have the variation request?

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

any chance someone could put it in Word pretty please....i can not open docx
    keeping my head down

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    Point two - I personally do not think it right that a parent could stop another parent from requesting a continuity of care request - what if one parent did not like another parent or their child - that could be discrimination. Therefore by informing them of my intentions, I am removing that potential.

Penny
    Can I advise caution please.

Some local authorities (mine included) are telling childminders that if one parent / family refuses permission for the childminder to change the conditions of their registration then they must not go through with the change.

I know we are self employed before you all jump on me... but my LA are not the only ones putting their own rules in place about this one!!

Hth

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Point three - It is my decision if I consider I can meet all the children's needs - or not. The parents can not make that decision. It is my registration, my reputation, my grade and my business at risk - the parents have to trust me on this (the same as they trust me to keep their child safe and meet their child's needs all day every day)

Personally I think if a parent disagrees which my assessment of the situation = then we will need to sit down for a good chat about this - and if we can reach a compromise then I or the parent will need to give notice.

Penny
    I agree with you - it echoes what I wrote on the thread about asking parents permission except how you write is much better and makes much more sense

"are we asking their permission and getting them to consent or are we simply 'informing' them.
    I think it has to be somewhere in between - we are informing them but giving them enough information that they can understand why we ave made the decision.
    I would hope they would respect the person that cares for their child and trust them enough to make an important decision like this without refusing to agree but if they express concerns that the person is taking on too much then as a minder perhaps we should take note - particulalry those who are perhaps going to get carried away with the new exceptions!

I have been thinking about it and think I will send a letter stating reasons and the whys and wherefores but making it very clear that they can discuss with me any concerns. And having read above about proving that parents have been informed I will have a copy of the letter that I would get all parents to sign - giving oppotunty at that time to discuss it."

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Can I advise caution please.

Some local authorities (mine included) are telling childminders that if one parent / family refuses permission for the childminder to change the conditions of their registration then they must not go through with the change.

I know we are self employed before you all jump on me... but my LA are not the only ones putting their own rules in place about this one!!

Hth
    Sarah is right to urge caution - LA's can put their own conditions in if you are getting any sort of funding - but it is our choice if you continue to accept that funding and abide by the rules or not accept it and therefore not abide by the rules.

It is also possible that those LA's have misunderstood the intention of the wording about parents in the EYFS - it says in 3.40 'IF a childminder can demonstrate to parents and inspectors .....' so that is demonstrate not ask permission. In example one on the fact sheet http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/f...egisters-may-c

it says 'consult with parent'.
    In the email I had from ofsted it say 'inform parents;
    In my opinion - demonstrate, consult and inform do not mean ask permission. So I am not sure where LA's have the idea that 'need permission' from parents

LA's are also very good at making 'suggested good practice' sound like 'must do' - so if you think your LA is suggesting must do - and you are not sure - then challenge.

I have challenge my LA about their pathway profile - seemed to be a must do - but when challenged they said no they meant good practice - and they would LIKE providers to use it

Also challenged them on the requirement to renew level 3 safeguarding every two years - again they backed down and said oh they meant good practice to renew after 2 years - actual 'must do' is every three years.

Of course sometimes it is not worth the hassle of challenging them and sometimes their funding / help is worth 'towing the line'

Penny
    Last edited by Penny1959; 04-08-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Have just managed to open the document by coming on my computer (can't open it on my netbook)Thanks so much for giving us the example letter especially as I realise now that in my letter I have emphasised it is for existing children only and not new business - which of course if it is twins is not the case!!

Can I just confirm - twins can be given one place but can siblings also be given one place? I thought that was for an established child whose parents at a later date wanted holiday care for a pre-schooler or care for a new baby? Can it be for new business too?

Penny1959 Guest

Have just managed to open the document by coming on my computer (can't open it on my netbook)Thanks so much for giving us the example letter especially as I realise now that in my letter I have emphasised it is for existing children only and not new business - which of course if it is twins is not the case!!

Can I just confirm - twins can be given one place but can siblings also be given one place? I thought that was for an established child whose parents at a later date wanted holiday care for a pre-schooler or care for a new baby? Can it be for new business too?
    My understanding is that it will be pretty much as it is now.

At the moment - If you have a request to care for twins but only have one place you can currently put in for a variation - and usually this would be granted (unless some other restriction on your registration) so of course that is new business. I think this will still be the case so you could grant yourself an exception.

However my understanding is that under EYFS 12 Ofsted would not accept it if you already had your normal under fives - and then took on twins - as you don't even have one place.

However just to make it confusing - if you have your normal 3 under 5, one of the mums then has twins (so siblings of existing mindee) - you could take on the twins - provided of course you meet all other requirements of EYFS including not exceeding 6 under 8 years.

It is confusing - but I think I have grasped it now (at least I hope so)

Penny

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Penny - I will use this as a basis too

1 minor thought - on the acknowledgement letter it states that "I will not take anymore children on" and this in itself may cause problems as I will take more on as some leave and also over the age of 8. I can change this but thought I would highlight it in case others hadn't thought about it

Thanks again for your work
    Debbie

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Thanks Penny - I will use this as a basis too

1 minor thought - on the acknowledgement letter it states that "I will not take anymore children on" and this in itself may cause problems as I will take more on as some leave and also over the age of 8. I can change this but thought I would highlight it in case others hadn't thought about it

Thanks again for your work
    Yes that is a good point - and of course each of us must adapt as needed to fit our own circumstances.

Thanks for highlighting it.

I have to admit to writing both documents in a hurry on Friday morning - and to it being very hard to cover all possible scenario's - so I am glad that some people are finding it useful - and that some are mentioning bits that others may need to consider

Penny

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that it will be pretty much as it is now.

At the moment - If you have a request to care for twins but only have one place you can currently put in for a variation - and usually this would be granted (unless some other restriction on your registration) so of course that is new business. I think this will still be the case so you could grant yourself an exception.

However my understanding is that under EYFS 12 Ofsted would not accept it if you already had your normal under fives - and then took on twins - as you don't even have one place.

However just to make it confusing - if you have your normal 3 under 5, one of the mums then has twins (so siblings of existing mindee) - you could take on the twins - provided of course you meet all other requirements of EYFS including not exceeding 6 under 8 years.

It is confusing - but I think I have grasped it now (at least I hope so)

Penny
    Hi Penny Sorry didn't explain myself very well there

- what I mean is if there is ONE space can I take on two new children if they are siblings but NOT twins? I don't know what the ruling on current variations on this is because I have never had to look into it!!

Thank you

Penny1959 Guest

Hi Penny Sorry didn't explain myself very well there

- what I mean is if there is ONE space can I take on two new children if they are siblings but NOT twins? I don't know what the ruling on current variations on this is because I have never had to look into it!!

Thank you
    Sorry - did not read properly

So again I think it will be as now (but remember this is just my personal understanding)

The answer is yes to siblings - provided there is a very good reason why using you - such as no one else offers the times that parent needs, or maybe you speak their language, or provide transport to from home etc.- in other words they could not find anywhere else that met their needs

In all cases - it should be exceptional not the norm - and you certainly could not advertise that able to take on siblings when only have one place

Hope I have explained that ok - if not ask again

Penny

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast