What kind of parents want term time only?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What kind of parents want term time only?

Gonna lose two of my part timers soon due to not being able to accommodate new siblings and thinking of going down the after school route after some interesting enquiries lately. My own kids are school age and I would love to have at least less kids in the holidays to do more with them, and obviously with car space could take more after school if i wasn't needed in hols so I could get out and about. I know some of you here are tto, and always thought it was only teachers that wanted this ... If you do tto how do parents arrange holidays? And does it stop people using you if you won't do holidays? Just trying to make it straight in my head as I explore the options! Thanks

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Teachers, school admin staff, pre-school staff, self-employed (but they may need some care in hols).
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

More and more employers are bringing in tto working for parents now, including the Health service.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I work TTO and I've got a teacher and a school nurse using me in September.

I've got two young boys of my own so wanted the time with just them in the holidays. Don't know why but all of my friends that I've met since having my children are teachers!

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one whose original minder ( a friend of mine) moved a little further away and doesnt do local school anymore so I have him term time and she has him holidays, works really well.
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have college students, 85% funded by the college, 15% by Genesis. So guaranteed payment. I charge slightly more for these though, because college holidays are so long

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

All my mindee's are TTO, as their parents are all teachers.
    Toothfairy

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

my new tto is a teaching assistant.

Think you need to ask around the schools. i got my latest because my own sons teacher noticed my gaggle of kids and they were discussing me in the staff room

x

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

All my parents are TTO, 2 of them are this because they have older children who don't come to me during term time so one parent is at home during the holidays. Parent saves money in the holidays and I'm more than happy not to work them!

Another TTO parent works in a school so me only doing TTO suits her perfectly.

I have another parent who knows I only work TTO but is happy to send her LO to me as she has family who can cover holidays.

There are the odd occasions where I'm asked to do the odd day here and there in the holidays which I will do if I can as it means extra money for me!

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

parents who work all year round but find holiday clubs cheaper than us in the holidays, I have had a child who started off all year round but the child was such a whiney never satisfied humbug in the holidays that I promoted the local holiday club and told mum it was far cheaper than us plus at the time she was my only schoolie so I told mum she would be with children more of her own age so mum went for the holiday club and used me after school
    You could sign post parents to the holiday clubs and promote the fact that they are cheaper in the hols.

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I know a number of separeted or divorced Mums whose children go to Dad at weekends and in the school holidays, so they need tto care. Also 2nd or later children whose parents already have an older siblimg at school, so parents have already sorted out a combination of leave/friends and family cover for the holidays.

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a schoolie (my first!) visiting on Friday for term time only and occasional holiday care as grandparents look after them during holidays but they are in another city, its obviously to save money on childcare too.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My TTO are teachers, PHD student, a family where mum is in insurance, dad an accountant but nanny is a clerical person in a school and likes to have LO holidays.

Plus my schoolies who go to clubs in holidays.

Only one of my children is not TTO

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have had teachers, university students, college students and a child whose grandparent could not drive to drop and collect from school but could have them all day in the holidays.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All mine (school age) are TTO and only one parent is a teacher! They just make other arrangements in the holidays ... take their annual holiday, grandparents come to stay, holiday/sports day camps etc. All of which are substantially cheaper than using me all day every day and I get a nice break

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for all the ideas that's fab! Will get working on it!!

apr1995
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 TTO who go to their grans for the holidays add to their parents holidays quite a lot are happy with TTO - wish I had more !! Saying that I don't charge a retainer for holidays as I could not cope with them all ! And the break is nice!
    x Mabes x

Post Thanks / Like

How ironic! I have had an enquiry today from a teacher, term time only! She may want me some hours in the holidays. What do you guys charge for a retainer? It is for a baby not an after schooler and as I have also had an enquiry for a few hours for another baby and both would fit together I might just stick with the Littlies for now.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

If its a TTO contract then just charge extra for the holiday care. If its only occasional then just charge a higher rate. I'm TTO but for one family I will have their two children a couple of times over the summer holidays (she's desperate for some time to herself!) and just charge for the time used. If you start doing retainers then parents will feel 'obliged' to use you during the holidays to get value for money.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reply ripeberry.. She is a secondary teacher who will be off from end may until September so after doing sums i don't think I will be able to do just tto?