Do you think its ok to take mindees to McDonalds for a treat?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you think its ok to take mindees to McDonalds for a treat?

I have three mindees on Thursday, plus my two children. So I will have two 5 year old, two 3 year olds and a one year old. I am going on holiday on Saturday and Thursday is the last day I am working. Just checked the weather forecast and it is rubbish. So was thinking of taking them to Krazy Kids soft play (don't do it very often, especially in the holidays as it is expensive and busy). During the holidays they get 90 mins play, and if they want food in the cafe it has to be done within that 90 mins, which I think is ridiculous, considering how much is costs to get them in. So was planning on letting them make the most of that 90 mins play and then stoppin at McDonalds on the way home (which is practically next door to soft play) for lunch. Do you think its ok to take mindees to McDonalds? I've never done it before and it really is as a treat. And would you ask the parents or just do it? I'm closed for a fortnight after this week and then one of my mindees is on holiday for a fortnight. Thought it would be a nice winding down ()treat.
    Last edited by stargazer1; 30-07-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a massive fan of McDonalds personally, but I have been once with mindees, I checked with Mum first, it was when we went to a shopping centre to see Santa.

I got them chicken nuggets and asked for FRESH chips with NO salt on, and got them some water, Mum was happy, I was happy and best of all mindees were happy.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I give mine mc's every week - parents okayed it.
    Debbie

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If parents are happy with it, I can't see a problem. Sounds like a nice treat

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's okay . I've done it in the past and will do it again. In fact I bought my little mindee burger and chips at the get together earlier this week, although it wasn't mcdonalds - it was waaaay yummier.

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it for an occasional treat, usually like you as an ending to a softplay session, the parents have been happy to say yes (so far) and are pleased that we want to give their children a special day (if you know what I mean).

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

For a very occasional treat - yeah why not. If parents agree. It's not the healthiest, but you can ask for a fruit bag instead of chips in kids meals.
    I've been known on occasion to have an ice cream on a hot day with the mindees! I don't think it's any worse really.

Pipsqueak Guest

of course it is

I think its more unhealthy to teach children that some things are to be avoided at all costs... it more healthy to teach them about moderation

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as parents are all okay with it then I'd do it, it's not as if you would be going everyday

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only time its not is if the parent has requested you not to.

Everything in its place
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Took two of mine last week and my own girls. Like that we were on the go and got behind time and my girls weren't going to have time to be fed at home before their tennis lesson so we popped into macdonalds ., I just bought chicken nuggets for the Littlies and my girls shared their curly fries and they had water in their beakers, mums just thought it was nice i had treated them,, I think as along as you give them balanced meals the rest of
    The time it is fine

BucksCM Guest

I do
    I always check with parents first. And like Emma, I ask for unsalted chips and go for the fishfingers or chicken nuggets. My smallest lo at 1y is not allowed but ok to go with a picnic for her.
    The children love a treat now and again

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd never set foot in the place - without or without the children. The food is dreadful. I really can't see where the 'treat' is as far as McD's is concerned and I am really shocked that a minder would even think of taking her mindees there once a week.

I used to take my young mindee to a local cafe and we would have scrambled eggs or beans on toast. He got to know the cafe owners really well and loved going there.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bridey View Post
    I'd never set foot in the place - without or without the children. The food is dreadful. I really can't see where the 'treat' is as far as McD's is concerned and I am really shocked that a minder would even think of taking her mindees there once a week.

I used to take my young mindee to a local cafe and we would have scrambled eggs or beans on toast. He got to know the cafe owners really well and loved going there.
    I have to admit the food is pretty rank in there, especially if it has been left for ages... DH used to work there once upon a time so know how it works.

When we do go there it is usually only for the breakfasts, but when we have been for lunch we ask for it all fresh and they HAVE to cook it fresh for you, it is much nicer... but still I prefer Nandos... Aint taking the kids there though... way to expensive lol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot view McD junk food as a *treat*... would never dream of taking a mindee there myself... would go against my healthy eating and nutrition policies.

I have never been into fast food... especially after I worked there (in the design dept at McD HQ UK)... and knew what went into the food.... bleeeeeuuuuurgh

I wouldn't eat it myself... so definitely would not give it to a child.
    Jen

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no comparison btwn yummy Nando's and McDs... Nando's is a fab South African export
    Jen

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

no i wouldnt, one its not healthy 2 the meat comes from pig farms where animals are kept in cages not able to move about in fields! so cruel

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there's a mixed bag of responses.

Well I have asked both sets of parents and both are quite excited for their little people to have a nice day out. I agree that McDonald's isn't good nutritionally, I used to work there many moons ago. My children have been once so far this year, this will be there second time. And as it turns out after me worrying, mindees go far more often. So as long as parents are happy, and I know kiddies will love it, then we will be doing it.

I agree about Nandos but our nearest Nandos is about 40 miles away (soft play and McDs is 27 miles - but in the opposite direction). So dont think I fancy a 120 mile round trip. But I would much prefer it, Nandos, yum yum!

Thanks for your replies ladies x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bridey View Post

Now I would happily go for breakfast and then go for dinner........mmm prehaps forget about a home cooked tea.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    of course it is

I think its more unhealthy to teach children that some things are to be avoided at all costs... it more healthy to teach them about moderation

totally agree
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast