8ft pools or bigger, your thoughts please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 8ft pools or bigger, your thoughts please

Was on Mumsnet a moment ago reading a thread about a parent (sorry no good at linking its in AIBU) whos childminder has just put up a 8ft swimming pool, she is really unhappy about it. Her children are under 5 from what I could make out,

There were a few people on there, giving advice and saying that as childminders that we are NOT allowed to have this type of pool and that Ofsted, insurance etc wouldnt like it, apparently it a real NO NO.
    One went on to say they thought all pools HAD to be fenced off or something like that.

I didnt reply to the thread because I really have no idea about Ofsted/insurance companys thoughts are on this..

Does any body on here know what Ofsted says?
    Does anybody have one of these big pools?
    How do you keep the children safe if so apart from risk assessing etc

Has got me thinking as I thought about getting one for my family, (my youngest mindee is 71/2) they have a big pool in their garden.

Any thoughts welcome
    Last edited by mandy moo; 26-07-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

a couple of years ago we had a 10ft pool up for the older children, it clearly stated on it that children under 6yrs were not to go in it and my insurance told me that if I stick to this then I would be covered, when not in use we removed the pool ladder and coverd the pool over. all over 6s who couldnt swim had to wear arm bands but that was for my peace of mind not the pool rules.
    we then had a smaller pool that the younger children could use which got emptied after every use.
    if there was a problem or a knock at door etc then all children would have to get out of their pools and wait by my patio which was not near the pools whilst I sorted out the problem , with answering the door my garden has a gate along the same wall as my front door so I can just stick my head out of the gate to see who was there whilst being able to keep an eye on the children.
    as long as you full risk asses and have emergency plans in place for problems or injurys etc I dont see a problem with these pools.

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Another minder in my villagel has one and she does the same only ones over a certain age are allowed to use it and only so many at a time, it is covered when not in use and the ladder removed to a totally different area to the children. OFSTED had no problem what so ever and was impressed with the level of supervision the children had using it.
    Teacake2

feb 93
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 10ft one in the garden. Older children are allowed to use it and they can all swim. The LOs are allowed in as long as i am with them, and when the pool is in the garden the LOs are only allowed to play in garden as long as i am with them. If i need to go indoors to change nappy/put LO on toilet, prepare food etc the LOs have to come indoors too. I keep childgate on french doors if we are indoors. We have spent an awful lot of time in garden this week and they have had great fun in pool too.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend had a 10 ft one on her patio area, well within reach of lo mrs o never even mentioned it during inspection.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry to put a dampner ob things i had a spot check (complaint about a 12 foot pool ) two weeks ago i now can no longer use my garden for minding as the inspector deemed the pool to be a breach of the eyfs i had to take the pool down and where the grass has died re seed it prior to using my garden again i will add the pool was covered over with a fitted cover AND tarpauline which was pegged taut into the ground preventing ayone getting in the pool

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbelle View Post
    sorry to put a dampner ob things i had a spot check (complaint about a 12 foot pool ) two weeks ago i now can no longer use my garden for minding as the inspector deemed the pool to be a breach of the eyfs i had to take the pool down and where the grass has died re seed it prior to using my garden again i will add the pool was covered over with a fitted cover AND tarpauline which was pegged taut into the ground preventing ayone getting in the pool
    I would challenge this. I think the inspector is wrong if everything was as you say it was and robust RAs were in place. In what respect was it a Breach of EYFS? I would want to know the exact bit of EYFS that says no Pools?

Would you not be able to use your garden if you had a swimming pool?

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have challenged it the inspector tried claiming that she hadnt said anything about the pool (thank god for dictor phones ) she made out it was because my garden was a mess toys out (sand pit, trampoline, swing set and a climbing volcano) and that the grass was 3 inch long it had chucked it down for 3 weeks so i couldnt take the electric mower out all explained to her and she ignored it same inspector came out this wednesday to re register the garden and refused to because where the pool had been the grass had died and toys were out AGAIN the pool had been removed and the grass cut she still refused to register it

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i have challenged it the inspector tried claiming that she hadnt said anything about the pool (thank god for dictor phones ) she made out it was because my garden was a mess toys out (sand pit, trampoline, swing set and a climbing volcano) and that the grass was 3 inch long it had chucked it down for 3 weeks so i couldnt take the electric mower out all explained to her and she ignored it same inspector came out this wednesday to re register the garden and refused to because where the pool had been the grass had died and toys were out AGAIN the pool had been removed and the grass cut she still refused to register it
    Challenge this too, I would..
    Cant use your garden because your grass is too long and a patch needs re-seeding!!!
    Ring Ofsted up, put in a complaint and ask for someone else to come out..
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mandy moo View Post
    Cant use your garden because your grass is too long and a patch needs re-seeding!!!
    Completely agree ...You could have been creating a wild nature garden ...Children love the sensory experience of playing in mud re the bald patch ...Pool is fine as long as properly RA'd ..Complain and ask for a different inspector!
    Blaze x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree I would make a formal complaint and ask to see the reasons in writing and linked to eyfs. Who says our grass had to be cut to a certain length, what tosh.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mandy moo View Post
    totally agree - you MUST put in a written complaint about this - the first and second inspection
    I would want clarification of where it was a breech of EYFS blah blah...

ooooh that is bad on your behalf

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the children suppose to play with then if not toys?
    I agree with everyone else about the grass and mud. She seems like she has it in for you, perhaps because of your dictor phone! Good idea tho

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's awful well out of order!! Feel really bad for you what a horrible inspector what is her problem, my ride on toys are outside and that was no problem. Is she scared the lo's will get lost in the grass? Stupid woman!! My grass was very long due to the weather and the lo's coped just fine. Sounds like this woman shouldn't be inspecting, she doesn't know what she is doing and is just insulting you! Keep complaiing don't let it go you don't deserve being treated like this.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have an 18ft pool which is not for child minding use. It's 4ft deep, covered , ladders fenced off. Its on the grass which is also fenced off, this is handy anyway as the grass was a huge muddy puddle before the nice weather. Ofsted had no problem with this as I had ra and made safe.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if you ra then you would be okay with ofsted but I would advise checking with the insurance company as I doubt a tarp would be sufficient to stop accidents happening.

After all remember how much fuss there was with a trampoline....
    Debbie