Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default puddle suits and wellies

Hi everyone,

With all the bad wether we have been having lately, its getting difficult to spend time outside. Some of the children I look after still turn up in a hoodie and flip flops even when its pouring down with rain

I want to start going out and playing in the rain more , Do you think it would be acceptable to ask the parents to purchase puddle suits for their children or do you think its something i should be supplying? I would have to buy at least 7 if I was going to supply (I work with assisstant) and it would work out quite expensive.

xx

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you told parents that whatever the weather you will be outside at some time during the day and would they please ensure that their child is suitably dressed, could they leave wellingtons at your house during the week (l realise that with so many children it is a lot to store) and to bring a spare pair of trousers and socks every day so that they can change out of wet clothes. You could suggest to parents that they purchase waterproof outfits but thats all, you will probably have to buy some yourself at least that way you know you have them, l have just had 2 sets delivered from my sainsburys tokens.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i ask all parents to proved waterproof suits and wellies! i'm vaguely getting there ... we go out and get wet! and sometimes, if its warm and wet, we go out in bare feet !!!

if i end up sending children home with bags full of soaking clothes & shoes, so be it. i don't like doing it, but sometimes its the only way. i have one mum who just doesn't grasp that i don't go everywhere by car!!!

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I hve given up asking parents now for wellies. I have been collecting cheap wellies from car boot sales so that I have something to stick on the children on days like this.

It maakes me laugh though that parents sometimes dress themselves better than there children. I have one parent who looks out the window in the morning sees the sun and sticks her lo in shorts, Tshirt and crocs. No jumper or coat. She on the other hand was wearing trousers, a thick cardigan and had a rain coat in her hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my own. Some parents have them but others don't. I have these:
    http://www.waterproofworld.co.uk/regattapuddlesuit.htm

I have 4 of them from 12 months through to 5 yrs. Sometimes have to roll up the legs of an oversize one if I've two LO's similar in size.

Wellies I've collected over the years. Most parents will bring them when asked though.
    I keep wondering about getting some for slightly older children as my 5 & 6 yr old mindees parents seem to be too bothered about being 'fashionable' rather than practical and often send inappropriate additional clothing, rather than waterproofs when I tell them we are having an outdoors day in the hols.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Try ebay, I've bought 6 or 7 of them from there. I've never paid more than £5 for each one. I know it's still not cheap if you have to buy a lot but I've built the stock up over time. Wellies from car boots for my lot too!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's to late now but I pop it on my contract that they have to provide spare clothes and full waterproof and wellies. I live on a farm though so parents seem to think its important. I currently have a box full of wellies parents have provided and I just say when I need the next size up and they are all really good at getting next size quick.

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have bought some (had some funding ) from 12mths - 5yrs . Its less stressful to have my own, as some Parents no matter how often you ask, forget to bring their childs boots and waterproofs.