Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default parent copy of inspection report?

Hi Are we supposed to make the inspection copy 'available for parents' or actually give them a copy? Just wondering!
    Thanks Jules

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

doh just read the answer on the front of the inspection report - yes copy for all parents!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    doh just read the answer on the front of the inspection report - yes copy for all parents!

You beat me to it!

You have to give a copy to all current parents but if a prospective parent asks for a hard copy you may charge a fee for it to cover the paper and printing

I always get my parents to sign and date a slip to say they have had a copy and then i keep it in their folder. The slip not the report!

Its been a long hard day here today and my brain left me a few hours ago and a parent has just rung to say they will be late. Hey Ho.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've uploaded it onto my parent page - do you think that will suffice?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've uploaded it onto my parent page - do you think that will suffice?
    No you are supposed to give a paper copy. Its a bore isn't it I have just finished copying mine for two new parent folders for parents who joined me last week. Along with a copy of my 7 page Policy document and copies of all the forms they have filled in for me.

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    No you are supposed to give a paper copy. Its a bore isn't it I have just finished copying mine for two new parent folders for parents who joined me last week. Along with a copy of my 7 page Policy document and copies of all the forms they have filled in for me.
    Do you mean we are supposed to provide a copy for any new parents who come along later? I took it to mean to give one to my parents at the time of the inspection (many of whose children would have been present and possibly remarked upon).

I do show new/prospective parents a copy of my latest report and have given them the details of how to look it up online (and some have come along brandishing their own copies), but have never actually checked who has or hasn't got a hard copy or handed out copies myself. Oh dear, do I have another job to do?

Perhaps if I give it out with my revised EYFS blurb nobody will notice

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Instructions within the document seem clear: provide a copy to all parents within the setting, and to anyone who requests one. We may make a small charge to the "anyones" but not to the parents. As an aside: we're not allowed to edit the report in any way, so we can't remove our EY number, so it's a convenient loophole for anyone who wants a CM's number for fraudulent purposes, no matter what else we do to try and prevent that happening.

I have a copy bound into my enquirer's guide to my setting, so prospective clients can read it before they do the initial visit.

I had a very odd call from Ofsted as soon as my draft report arrived. They phoned to say I had to send it to parents immediately if possible, and in any case no later than within 4 days. I asked where it said I had to send it within 4 days and they couldn't tell me. We then had a polite argument about the draft report. I could see it was a draft (god knows, I was anxious for the final report to confirm my grade, and I had to sweat for a month awaiting that) but the Ofsted staffer swore blind that the final report was published. I eventually persuaded her to go onto her own organisation's website and search for my report, at which point things went very quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid I did not give all my parents a copy (naughty, naughty me!) - I told them it was published and gave them my EY number (again) so they could read on the website or they could read the copy in the parents folder.

I think thats sufficient - no-one asked to read the copy, whether they went on line or not I don't know. Complete waste of paper and ink printing them all a copy.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I'm afraid I did not give all my parents a copy (naughty, naughty me!) - I told them it was published and gave them my EY number (again) so they could read on the website or they could read the copy in the parents folder.

I think thats sufficient - no-one asked to read the copy, whether they went on line or not I don't know. Complete waste of paper and ink printing them all a copy.

Miffy xx
    Not sure if that's exactly what Ofsted guidelines mean, but I think it's perfectly reasonable. You could 'phone and ask them: they don't all bite.

They do recommend using different ways of communicating with parents appropriately, so I think you could stress that you're making the report available in the way parents want. Why not email the link to the parent and also state that you are happy to provide hard copy on request? Print off the email (only 1 page isn't too much ink and paper) and get parents to sign. Then you have your evidence of compliance.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Instructions within the document seem clear: provide a copy to all parents within the setting, and to anyone who requests one. We may make a small charge to the "anyones" but not to the parents. As an aside: we're not allowed to edit the report in any way, so we can't remove our EY number, so it's a convenient loophole for anyone who wants a CM's number for fraudulent purposes, no matter what else we do to try and prevent that happening.

I have a copy bound into my enquirer's guide to my setting, so prospective clients can read it before they do the initial visit.

I had a very odd call from Ofsted as soon as my draft report arrived. They phoned to say I had to send it to parents immediately if possible, and in any case no later than within 4 days. I asked where it said I had to send it within 4 days and they couldn't tell me. We then had a polite argument about the draft report. I could see it was a draft (god knows, I was anxious for the final report to confirm my grade, and I had to sweat for a month awaiting that) but the Ofsted staffer swore blind that the final report was published. I eventually persuaded her to go onto her own organisation's website and search for my report, at which point things went very quiet.
    I do not 'Edit' my report I just cover the number when I copy it for my parents folder. It is also covered on the Cert which is on display. Ofsted looked at both when I was inspected last year and complimented me on my parent Info Folder and did not say a word about the blanked number. I also balnk the number on any copy a prospective parent is given, though in 12 years of Ofsted Registration I have only been asked twice for a copy.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post

Miffy xx
    No its not I'm afraid Miffy. You must give all Contracted parents a hard copy of your report. I get mine to sign to say they have received one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    No its not I'm afraid Miffy. You must give all Contracted parents a hard copy of your report. I get mine to sign to say they have received one.
    Oh Ricky I know it's not what Ofsted says I should do - I thought my original reply made that clear.

I have chosen not to give parents a hard copy and, if Ofsted ask, then I'll discuss my reasons with them. Meanwhile I've probably saved a tree (or at least a few branches)

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do similar - I put a link to the Ofsted inspection website and give details on how to access my report on my newsletter and inform parents that a hard copy is available for them to view at any time.

I also gave the link to a prospective new parent (I hoped I could trust her with my EY number - she works for social services), she enjoyed reading the report on line at home.

I am also now e-mailing policies to parents to save printing costs and get them to sign to say they have received and read the policies.

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

To be honest I don't see the point in removing the number anyway. If you are listed with the FIS anyone can search for childminders and their EY number is listed on their details anyway so what is the point. You don't even need to visit a childminder to get the number!!!

Just wanted to add that you click on FIS, search and then click 'latest ofsted report' and hey presto - your EY number!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinkellifun View Post
    To be honest I don't see the point in removing the number anyway. If you are listed with the FIS anyone can search for childminders and their EY number is listed on their details anyway so what is the point. You don't even need to visit a childminder to get the number!!!

Just wanted to add that you click on FIS, search and then click 'latest ofsted report' and hey presto - your EY number!
    True that. Should soon be able to do it from the Ofsted site too, when they start displaying providers' contact details for those who opted into the scheme.

If people are that determined to make fraudulent claims, they'll find a way. HMRC are just going to have to call CMs every time a claim is made quoting their number.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinkellifun View Post

Our URN are not linked to our FIS information on line or on paper in our area. Our reports are not linked to ours. They were on the old government web site.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've e-mailed Ofsted no doubt I will get a response referring me to the paragraph I am querying with no further explanation like last time I asked for clarification on something!!!
    I will let you know if I get a response with an appropriate answer.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It says we must provide a copy to all parents. It does not say we must provide a printed paper copy of it. Providing an emailed copy, or even an accessible link to it is more than sufficient. You just work with the parents and provide them with a copy in the format they would prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

I've e-mailed Ofsted no doubt I will get a response referring me to the paragraph I am querying with no further explanation like last time I asked for clarification on something!!!
    I will let you know if I get a response with an appropriate answer.
    Look forward to reading that.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    It says we must provide a copy to all parents. It does not say we must provide a printed paper copy of it. Providing an emailed copy, or even an accessible link to it is more than sufficient. You just work with the parents and provide them with a copy in the format they would prefer.
    this is what I think too! and as Miffy said, I also emailed my parents a copy and also a link to the online version - none of them ever read it anyway!!!
    Francine X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast