Bum or Bottom... Belly or Tummy?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bum or Bottom... Belly or Tummy?

I know everyone is different and prefers different words. I prefer May I, instead of Can I that is my biggest thing oh and silly insteady of stupid. Although I am not OTT about it IYSWIM.

I have a parent to can't stand Bum or Belly and prefers bottom and tummy, however I have one mindee who always says bum "hehehe Emma, I done bum burps hehehehe" lol... which isn't swearing, but the other mindees pick it up and use it lol...

It is not a big issue, just something I have noticed really. What are you/parents like about certain words?

md0u0131 Guest

I think because I'm a Biologist by degree I prefer the more technical terms for things. I can cope with bottom and tummy but get irrationally annoyed when people use things like stomach when they mean abdomen!

Pipsqueak Guest

bum, belly, backside, botty, tummy, fart, pump, trump etc are acceptable words to me

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to use bottom but will occasionaly say bum.

I do HATE it thought when a parent or minder says "come on lets change your bum"
    It just sounds horrible! its a nappy you are changing not a bum!

I also really really hate dodie instead of dummy sorry but its sounds common

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a parent who hates the word fart and says its akin to swearing. She prefers botty burp!? This is the woman who calls the girls bits 'fluff' - talk about confusing. I prefer the proper names and say fart deliberately

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Cannot stand the word "dodie"

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I tend to use bottom but will occasionaly say bum.

I do HATE it thought when a parent or minder says "come on lets change your bum"
    It just sounds horrible! its a nappy you are changing not a bum!

I also really really hate dodie instead of dummy sorry but its sounds common
    ahh but the reference of 'dodie' is regional from what I can gather... its northern and I had never encountered it before I moved up north

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate the word bum and will not use it.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought a dodie was a teat with a little ring thing at the bottom, it was used for putting gripe water in. Don't think you can get them any more.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't like 'belly' but as dd as a 'belly bar' and 2 children have a mum who is a vet and talks about animal 'bellies' and therefore her children have 'bellies'...

I am a bit outnumbered

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one family who I think would faint if they heard the word fart. It's "windy pop" to them. I don't think they have bums or bellies either, never mind more private parts! A poo is having "gone to the toilet".

I tend to stick to bottom & tummy for their children. We don't even mention anything else!

Personally I find the word fart rude and don't use it. I think it goes back to my childhood when it just wasn't used - actually I don't think my family were ever allowed to do them My own children use the word fart, but it makes me feel guilty when they do, as if I should be stopping them

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this discussion!!

I'm more a bottom and tummy person, but do use bum, usually with older children and often if I'm really needing them to do something. If they think it's a bit rude to say bum, then used with a bit of humour it usually does the trick!

I've worked all over the country and the regional variations of words are staggering. Dummy is the one that springs to mind; dodo, dee dee, dee, dodie, dum dum & plug!

I've heard horses as bob-horses and bobbo's and gee-gees.

Passing wind ; fart, parp, pump, trump, puff-puff (yes, really) and botty burp.

My daughter's 5 year old friend told her that babies come out of your fanny!!!

My absolute bugbear, is when adults ask children 'what does a horse (for example) say?' It doesn't SAY anything!!! It neighs!

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate doggie and horsie. My mum (cominder) is called Pat and one mum insists on saying to her little one Pat Pat.

I say tummmy and bottom and use silly not stupid. I dont like the children saying fart but not really hd a child that says it. They mostly call them bottom burps.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When people say Eng -er-land - i consider this a right royal pain in the ass sorry bum
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate children saying fart, even though its not a swear word. If some parents hate a particular word I do ask other children not to use that word because the child of the parent may use it at home. I also hate children saying 'little ******'. Some adults say it to babies in a silly voice and I HATE it. But then we all have our own funny words and as long as its not really bad swearing I dont suppose it hurts too much.
    Julie X X

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit of a prude and say bottom, tummy, blown off or made a smell instead of fart and I think that children wear pants and ladies wear knickers. Oh god I sound like my mother!

Feb 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like fart either and I also hate children saying lie/lier I much prefer fib or fibber, lier sounds so harsh!!

I also never use the word stupid I always use silly!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my blood relations (or is that "relatives"?) claims to have traced our family's ancestry back to Anglo-Saxon stock. So perhaps I should claim my ethnic birthright to use the old Saxon word for "bum"/"bottom"?
    You know, the one that rhymes with "farce."

I'm fairly easy going about language, so long as people communicate without deliberately intending to offend.

The ones that are capable of annoying me from time to time are:-
    1. Using the wrong word, where it changes the meaning of a sentence. eg. "I have less children than last week." No, you have fewer children; they are not, as you stated, of diminished importance.
    2. Clumsy language, such as the modern trend of converting nouns into verbs, which resulted recently in me hearing, "I was texteding her yesterday."
    3. Constant reference to children as "kids." No, they are children. I wouldn't refer to an older
      person as an old goat, so I won't refer to a child as a baby goat.

Mar02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

LOl! This is funny!

I used to say bum, but my dh doesnt like it, so I've got used to bottom now.
    Belly reminds me of a pig!

I am real prude and dh laughs as I still call my 'bits' - my front bottom! The boys have a willy and the girls a front bottom.

I really detest moo cow and baa lamb and pussy cat! - you are adding an extra word for a child to say.

We do say trump.

One parent doesnt like the word stupid - and we didnt say it with ds (10), but have slipped, but dont say it near mindees.

Rachel x

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I am a bit of a prude and say bottom, tummy, blown off or made a smell instead of fart and I think that children wear pants and ladies wear knickers. Oh god I sound like my mother!
    I don't mind and use tummy, belly, bum, bottom, fart, seems to depend on what mood im in.

For me boys and men wear pants, girls and women wear knickers!

I usaually say pee instead of wee and poop instead of poo.
    My mum used to insist on wee and poo and seemed to think i was very wrong to say pee and poop! But then she was very old fashioned!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast