Interesting enquiry any thoughts....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting enquiry any thoughts....

All I know its for a 10 year old, 3 days a week 24 hours in those 3 days so it must be 8hrs a day!!! Meeting her next week...Now just wondering how that works out as wouldn't they be at school?? Why would they NOT be...? any thoughts

Also what do you need to follow for a 10 year old? paperwork etc..anyone have any experience with this age group?

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

As to paperwork, you would need contracts, permissions, record form

I dont know why he would be with you for so long though and to be honest I would have asked, perhaps she is including whilst he is at school. Didnt you ask for times at all, I find that strange, thats one of my first questions, as want to know if would be willing to work that early/late.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't take on a 10year old full days when they should be in school. I am not a home educator. Sounds a bit odd to me.

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

She just left a message & I said would be happy for a chat so not asked her anything? Do you think I should contact before we meet up?

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucyD View Post
    All I know its for a 10 year old, 3 days a week 24 hours in those 3 days so it must be 8hrs a day!!! Meeting her next week...Now just wondering how that works out as wouldn't they be at school?? Why would they NOT be...? any thoughts

Also what do you need to follow for a 10 year old? paperwork etc..anyone have any experience with this age group?

Are you sure it's not an organised parent (they do surface every once in a while!!) looking for summer holiday care?! Xx
    xx

April08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good nov 08
    Post Thanks / Like

or she said 20 hours as thats what she works, so would be either side of being at school, so 8 hr days including the time he is at school so may be 8 till 4 maybe x

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe she wants to drop him off VERY early on a morning & pick up VERY late!

I saw an ad on Childcare.co.uk for a 4 year old child to be dropped off at 8.30am & picked up at 8.30pm.

I didn't get in touch because even though I need the money 8.30pm would impact on my family too much!

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGiggles View Post
    Are you sure it's not an organised parent (they do surface every once in a while!!) looking for summer holiday care?! Xx
    Yeh very good thought...thanks

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would give them a call before the meeting and ask a few more details eg to confirm the actual days/hours they are looking for, is this termtime or holidays or both, when they are looking to start and have they used a childminder before.

Saves wasting anyone's time should it be something you wouldn't want to do.

There was a childminder on here a few weeks back who was minding a lad who had been excluded from school with behavioural issues - I don't think it went well.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bridey View Post
    I would give them a call before the meeting and ask a few more details eg to confirm the actual days/hours they are looking for, is this termtime or holidays or both, when they are looking to start and have they used a childminder before.

Saves wasting anyone's time should it be something you wouldn't want to do.

There was a childminder on here a few weeks back who was minding a lad who had been excluded from school with behavioural issues - I don't think it went well.
    I would give her a call too, but like someone said, lets hope it someone being organised and getting her summer holiday care sorted

There has lately been a local enquiry floating around on FB and Childcare wanting childcare from after school until 10pm....she will struggle to find someone

Post Thanks / Like

I would also call her back and double check what/when she actually wants.

Good luck

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never met a parent that I haven't spoken to on the phone first. If I get a message I always give them a call and have a chat then if I can help (and want to) I invite them for an infomal meeting.
    Give her a call and say you just wanted to check the hours she needs as you'd hate to waste her time if you couldn't do them.

xxx

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe she does home-educate him and needs care while she is at work. Home education doesn't have to take place between 9 and 3 so she wouldn't want you to do that, just care I would think. Best to ring and check. xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be for any number of reasons, I'd give her a call to get more information.
    The child may have a severe disability or special needs and school is not a suitable option. The child may have been suspended and it's temporary. They may be looking for home education. It may be holiday care. It could be they hadn't knocked off the school hours. It could be a late finish and early start. If they didn't say maybe it's something best explained in person.

june 08
    Post Thanks / Like

May be she ment 10months lol, I would also ring her to ask, I would also not take a 10year old on full days, Its hard enough having my own 8year old all day in the hols . I think there must be a mix up some where.

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes its just in hols

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Think very carefully about this one. If you are minding little ones already and you don't have any children the same age as this one in the house, it could be a very difficult job to keep the older child entertained!

VINASOL Guest

I agree. I mind a 10 year old boy for 11hrs a day and it's HARD!! Only makes it easier because I have my son here, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to...they get bored so quickly

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have cared for a boy that age, but only considered it because my son was the same age at the time. He was hard work, as nothing amused him for very long (except computer games which he was obsessed with and I had been asked to keep him away from) and I was constantly on the go thinking up new activities for him. The few days I just had him and the littlies (as he went to a different school to my own boy) were very hard indeed and I wouldn't do it now.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 10yr old ocassionally (been minding him since he was 2) but wouldnt want to have him for more than an odd day. He's lovely child but having older children with lots of younger ones doesnt just work for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast