Thread: Anaphylaxis

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Anaphylaxis

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has any good tips or links for caring for a child with anaphylaxis?

I have a 12 month old starting in September who has multiple food allergies and just want to be prepared!

Mum will be providing food, as allergies so far are dairy, wheat, nuts & soya. Also showing sensitivity to white potato, obviously early days as the weaning process is still going on but being closely monitored by the hospital.

I am going with mum to the hospital for epipen training & I want to do a full risk assessment - so i'm thinking meal/snacktimes, snack at groups, other children/adults. Am I missing anything obvious I need to be looking at?

Thanks in advance

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at this, it might help

http://www.allergyuk.org/childcarers...-teachers-menu

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Take food with you to groups etc and watch the child like a hawk to make sure s/he is not hoovering up biscuit bits off the floor etc.

When sitting at the table make sure the child cannot reach other children's plates.

Find out how sensitive the child is to the various allergens - does s/he react if in the same room, if touching skin or if eaten or if inhaled - it might make a difference to the food you can provide for other children.

Carry at least 2 Epipens with you at all times and make sure mum gives you emergency information as part of your care plan on what she wants to happen if the child's life is compromised - some parents say to do everything possible while others (depending on religious beliefs etc) might have a different view and this must be noted.

I hope this helps

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't help much l'm afraid but are his allergies only to eating the food or also being in close proximity to them l only ask because at the nursery where l dropped a mindee off they had a child with severe food allergies and children were not allowed to take any foods in and l had to give his lunch box to the teacher to lock away if it had food in it, at party time the tables were set out in a broken horse shoe and she sat alone in the top bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also ask mum for permission to share details of his allergies with the organisers of groups or other cms you visit regularly so that they can also keep a watch out on the child. With the best will in the world, if you are looking after other children, you may miss something with the lo especially as he becomes more mobile.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, all very helpful, great link!

Mum is very anxious, understandably! so I will be doing everything possible. I know he is skin sensitive to milk.

Good tip about carrying two epipens, I will make sure I get all that information when I go to the hospital & a detailed care plan definitely!

I already have meal and snacktimes around the table and have discussed making sure he sits out of reach of other little hands and plates.

Vigilance is key I know!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely do the training. I did mine at the doctors and the nurse said no one really knows how these things work until they are actually used. They tend to make a loud noise when used as the pressure is released, sometimes frightening people who then drop it, so be aware and hold it firmly.

I would get a sticker with a warning on if you are going out to toddlers as what I notice is when they all sit round the table, mums and other minders just hand out the biscuits and often before you know it your mindee is eating something as you haven't got there quick enough.

I would also get mum to write down and sign a form of what you must exactly do and when. Some foods may just cause a face rash whilst others may cause breathing difficulties so you need to know when to use the pen.

I have a mindee with a nut allergy but he is now 8yrs old so a lot easier to control what he gets hold of because he's aware.

Aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Useful tips, thanks jCrackers!

I searched allergy stickers, there are some helpful things here..

http://www.kidsaware.co.uk/shop-allergy.php?allergy=6