How did/do you afford it?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How did/do you afford it?

I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to afford everything I need for starting up I still need everything except travel cot and buggy board! I've been scouring freecycle for things and will be looking in charity shops for toys and books etc.

Any tips on where else to look? Particularly for the bigger things like buggies etc?

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

do you have any children waiting to start? If you do, just buy as you need/can

If you don't have any yet I wouldn't buy too much but save some money if you can for things as you need them - no point buying a cot if you don't have a child sleeping in the time you have them, won't need baby toys if you get a 3yr old....

Only get small amounts of basic toys. You can add over time - if you look at some peoples playrooms on the forum remember they may have been minding many years and built up resources .

Do you have a toy library nearby you could join to borrow toys on rotation?

Definitely look on freecycle and add a wanted ad of your own - especially for the bigger toys as if you can collect people are often pleased to get rid of outgrown toys
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

dont get everything before you start, get it as you need it, buy somethings second hand xx

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

sadly i put it all on credit cards ( eeek.

where abouts do you live???

how about facebook selling pages, ive sold prams and stuff before and it goes nice and cheap and carboot sales.

dont buy to much till you know the interests of your children.
    xx

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the above. Buy as you need it. We already had a lot of resources from before I started minding. I looked after my sisters children so had a lot for them.

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would start by making a realistic 'wish list';
    write everything you would like to get and prioritise what you are going to need for the chidren you are going to be looking after.

As mentioned before, I get a lot of my books from the library, as children come with me and we choose what we are interested in that week... My library has given me a 'childminding card' so I can get more children books for longer period of time.

Perhaps a 'wanted' add in a local paper for things you want ,might encourage someone to donate some of their unwanted toys????
    God Bless xx T

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

nct nearly new sales are good for toys and equipment.

i've been given things from minded families, as the children out grow them, they come to me, same with friends childrens toys/equipment.

carboot sales/freecycle/charity shops

but i agree, only buy what you need for the children you have to start with, and over time you will be astounded at what you have aquired !!!

Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

car boots are fab-cheap and cheerful!I buy loads from them.Ebay is also pretty good as are charity shops.

As others have said,you will work out what you need as you go along, although it does depend on the ages and development of the children you care for.Dont forget that anything you buy classes as an expense so you can put it through your books.

I've been minding for 13 years and I still add to what I've got-I'll see something and think 'Ohh I like that' so I buy it!!

good luck x

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I'm not really planning on buying toys etc until I know what ages I'm going to be minding unless I can grab some freebies it's more the big things like buggies etc although I could probably get hold of one for about £20 off Facebook sale pages which is pretty good.

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

We have Jack n Jill markets in Scotland - they are so fab, nearly new stuff buggies,high chairs, toys etc its so fab - love them and always go to ones in my area to build up my resources.
    XX Jill XX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm not really planning on buying toys etc until I know what ages I'm going to be minding unless I can grab some freebies it's more the big things like buggies etc although I could probably get hold of one for about £20 off Facebook sale pages which is pretty good.
    I wouldn't even worry about buying a buggy until you know you are going to need one.

If you're stuck you can always ask parent to bring the child's buggy with them for a while until you get one of your own.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I wouldn't even worry about buying a buggy until you know you are going to need one.

If you're stuck you can always ask parent to bring the child's buggy with them for a while until you get one of your own.

Miffy xx
    Never thought of that

I managed to get a free travel cot so wasn't going to say no! And a few toys too. Just gonna keep scouring for freebies/bargains I think and stop stressing...or try!!