Random knocks at the door!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    notts Guest

Default Random knocks at the door!

This may be usual practice for you but its all new ground to me and while interest is great, I'm not sure I like people randomly coming to the door to discuss childcare.

I've had 3 randomers recently. 1 I couldn't answer as it was 6.30pm on a Friday evening and I had just got out of the bath, unwell, in pj's, no bra and male! 1 I chatted to but couldn't meet her ratio wise and then today's, lovely woman and child (child got my own daughter to get him an ice cream out the freezer so comfortable!) came in for an hour, she doesn't have a job but hopefully something for the future but the place wasn't as tidy as I'd have liked and my Son was lunching, in front of the kitchen tv she seemed really happy with us though.

Anyway, how do you feel about people just coming to the door? I'm prepared 98% of the time but don't feel 100% confident if for example, I haven't just hoovered or picked toys up or if (as i'm not yet minding) cleaning up, ironing or have washing out. I also feel it a massive invasion on my privacy and like I'm a shop window.

But I suppose I am touting for business. A vacancy board outside, signs on my car. Technically, I shoudl always be prepared. what do you think?

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

wow!

i've never had anyone knock on my door! your advertising must be going well

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had someone knock last week and it's the first time ever it's happened to me!!

I didn't ask them in - I offered them an appointment after explaining I was focussing on the children as I would if it was their child who was here... they were fine with that and came back another day when I was ready for them.

Maybe have a pad by the door to take their details and get back to them when the children have gone home

BuggsieMoo Guest

I only arrange visits when I feel it is a suitable time and like Sarah says when I can focus on them and not have to worry about the children in my care. Ive never had a 'cold' caller but I would do as Sarah said and keep a pad by the door and make arrangements to come back when YOU are good to see them. However, can you give us all your tips on advertising - its clearly working!!

BucksCM Guest

As I was reading it I was thinking "how come they have your address?" then got to the end and realised!
    Well...seeing that you have a sign at the gate saying vacancies, then expect people to knock.
    I, personally, couldn't do it. I much prefer a phone call or an email.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never had anyone just knock on the door do you have an advert on your car or in your front garden?

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had one person knock on the door but she did know me and she didn't get invited in (because I knew her )

Sorry I had another knock too and I was cleaning, looked right state but still got to care for the child

I like to make an appointment that suits us both and that way I should be totally prepared and not in my rubber gloves

Carol xx

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

never had a random knock but i keep getting the strangest phone calls lol.

the other night at 9.30pm i got a man asking how about accredited childminders and wanted me to explain why his childminder couldnt claim the free 15hours .

last night i had a lady whose own daughter had just qualified as a teacher and started her first job at a school near me, and found out she is pregnant. so what did i think nursery or childminder. erm childminder . i gave her some advice but said she would be better calling round nearer the time (in about 2 years lol). i was dishing up dinner and couldnt get her off the phone lol.

xx

notts Guest

Oh eck I'm definetly a minority!!! If I can work out how to upload a picture I'll pop one on of my house with the advertising! It's just a sign on the tree and one on my car, noticeable but subtle.

I think you are right, when I am actually minding, I won't be able to just drop and discuss so I'll have to arrange an appointment which in turn supports my safeguarding policy etc. Until then, I just think I got to run with it, however much I don't like it!

re advertising, alongside the house, I've door dropped the estate that I live on so I guess it's them or them that's drove by that see and call. I don't advertise my address anywhere (apart from Yell, which I'm not comfortable with but I've had leads) so it has to be drive bys. Personally i'd have taken my number/website from it and rang/emailed but not everyone so subtle! Maybe they like the idea of 'dropping on unexpected'.

(there is also a CM next door but one so word of mouth possibly too)

right out to work out that picture add..

notts Guest

[IMG][/IMG]

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

yes i have had 2 people knock at my door and i dont advertise.Its from word of mouth.But to be honest I would prefer Not to have them knock at my door, puts you on the spot.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a random knock on the door but it was a mum whose face I recognised from playgroups and so I let her in (because for once my house was tidy!) In future I would either give them my details and get them to email me their requirements and arrange a date at a mutually convenient time, or take their details and email them my vacancies etc. Good luck!

sep-09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by notts View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    wow! looks fab but no wonder people are coming to your door it does kinda scream pop in.

notts Guest

wow! looks fab but no wonder people are coming to your door it does kinda scream pop in
    That's what I mean. I'm kind of saying I'm vacant!!!! but then moaning about the knocks. Can't have it both ways huh?

The sign will come down when I have a client (and even if I don't will come down temporarily)

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by notts View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I have those adverts on my car, which is also the same car as you lol or the same chasis.

Carol xx

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Think I would be making another little sign 'by appointment only' bit like what you see on house 'for sale' boards

notts Guest

I have those adverts on my car, which is also the same car as you lol or the same chasis.

Carol xx

Think I would be making another little sign 'by appointment only' bit like what you see on house 'for sale' boards
    or one of those 'cold callers not welcome'

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not wanting to sound too negative
    Just be aware that some local authority planning departments may suggest you need planning permission as you are advertising your business with a sign.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    I think that's a good idea too!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

notts Guest

Not wanting to sound too negative
    Just be aware that some local authority planning departments may suggest you need planning permission as you are advertising your business with a sign.
    ooo didn't know that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast