Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First meeting etiquette?

I have my first parent meeting tomorrow morning

Obviously I will offer her a drink..maybe a slice of homemade cake too

She will have little boy with her who is 3 months old...cute! Should I ask for a cuddle since I may be the one looking after him, or would that be a no go? I thought she may be looking for signs that I'm good with little ones iykwim?

Also, probably another daft question, but does it matter if all my baby equipment is girly? I'm sure a baby boy won't mind playing under a pink baby gym but not sure about Mum?

xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd offer them a drink then offer to hold baby whilst they drink it. I wouldn't offer cake hon, might be difficult to ask and answer questions

Don't worry too much about equipment, keep to a miniumum, talk about what you have/will have and just hold baby

good luck x
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

That's a good idea, offering to hold baby whilst she has her drink.

xx

Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be yourself! its always a bit nerve racking when you meet new parents.Make sure youve got all your paperwork ready and to hand so that you're not hunting round for it.

Good luck-let us know how you get on

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh I've never ever offered a prospective parent a drink or offered to take the baby!! But then I've only ever had one parent choose not to use my service after visiting, so they can't be that offended:-)
    I never offer to take the baby, because I suppose I wouldn't have felt happy handing my baby over to a stranger. I usually talk to the child or baby, but never more than that (and hope they don't start crying!).
    Will you have other children present when she visits. I always think that parents are more interested in how you interact with the children currently in the setting and how they respond to you.
    I also agree with Lisa, try to have all your paperwork ready. I write a list of what I want to discuss so I don't miss anything out.

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

No i never offer a drink ,always mean too but then when parent and i start chatting discusing time seems to flyby,have only ever had 1 family visit and not take place and that was because they thought it odd that i do not have my niece's lo,they knew her. To be honest glad they never came as often on childcare.co.uk looking for a minder ,think they had seperation issues and as always looking for new minder,it was a narrow escape

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The only other piece of advice I would have is be ready slightly ahead of time as I had a prospective parent arrive 15 mins early when I was still washing the kitchen floor!!! Needless to say I only had my own LO with me and no mindees but it put me completely off my stroke and my paperwork got left upstairs!

I will not be doing that again, don't even know if she wants to come to me as in her own words "being very choosy" and two more to see after the school holidays.

You may also think about what you want to ask them, it is a two way street!

Good luck will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Sam

notts Guest

I'm interested in this post. I have had 2 meets now and I was thinking through the format. I went for offered drink, introductions/interacting with children (both ways, mine are very young) supplied portfolio to peruse while we chatted, showed them around my setting and then gave a diluted version of my portfolio to take away.

I have no idea if that's the way forward but it felt right although I may have been too open and inviting as neither wanted to leave and were here too long for an initial meet!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never offered drinks or food

I take them straight from the door into the dining/playroom area so they can see the setup. Then talk to them about what they want, what I offer and thats it. Give them some papers to take home and read in case I've missed something

I've never invited them into lounge as that's home and I like to keep home and work separate. It's worked so far

june 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I still hate first meets even after 4 years, I have a good feel off a parent now, I hate it most when a parent comes with a tick list and their mother-in-law.

notts Guest

I've never invited them into lounge as that's home and I like to keep home and work separate. It's worked so far
    This is one of the things I don't like about my setting. Entrance is front door/kitchen, we have to go through the lounge or sit in the lounge to get tot he playroom/conservatory at the back. I feel the whole house is open and always on show just in case someone knocks the door!

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer a drink and usually entertain child while they peruse paperwork. I think it's a question of what you feel most comfortable doing.
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing this for 19 years and do it different everytime To be honest it depends on the vibes I get the minute they walk through the door I usually offer a drink, if we are quiet or if its an evening visit, during the day it depends on what time and the mood of the children when they arrive.

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i always try to keep it as normal looking as i can(sometimes pick up a few toys if i cant see the floor)i always ask for a cuddle if baby is little (from baby not parent ..that would be wierd)and always offer a cuppa ,then ask one of my own bigger kids or DH to make it ,to show what a cooperative family we are.i like them to meet my own children ,they are lovely and chatty and mostly polite and i feel kind of show off how happy children are in my home .ive never had a family not want me yet

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

haha love it, can i have a cuddle.

i usually offer a drink, talk a bit about myself, hand over paper work, sit on the floor with the children and coo over baby whilst they read it and generally act relaxed and in control

i would ask to hold baby near the end as it shows you are interested in their precious child,

i have new parents visting tomorrow. i have done the paperwork and cleaned the house but im just pondering how to keep it clean till 11am. i am thinking breakfast out and the park till 10.50am lol x