Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a mazda 5, it's a nice car, love the sliding doors, small boot when all 7 seats in use and the middle seat on the middle row is tiny!

DO NOT get a diesel if you do lots of small journeys - I have found out to my cost that there is a known design fault with diesel mazdas with the diesel particulate filter (DPF) which means it will end up in the garage every 4 months and will cost you a few hundred £ each time!!!

you have been warned!

am seriously thinking of part exchanging mine now but can't afford to
    Francine X

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMarie View Post
    I had a zafira for almost 10 years. It was a brilliant smaller 7 seater and very economical to run/tax/insure. But as others have said getting children in and out of rear seats was awkward and the boot space with all the seats up was tiny. A couple of months ago I got a peugeot 807 (like citroen C8) which I love! I don't know how I managed for so many years without sliding doors and it much roomier inside. Only thing I'd like is an bigger boot as I'm still trying to work out which double pushchair does what I want and will fit in the boot.
    As a cost comparision my insurance was/is- Zafira £280 Peugeot 807 £420,
    tax - Zafira £185 Peugeot £250
    fuel - have gone from a petrol to diesel and I'm not spending much more than before.
    Have you tried sliding the boot seats an inch more forward?? I can get my Britax b-dual in the boot of the c8 (which i couldnt do with all seven seats up in my Renault grand scenic) with all 8 seats up but the middle row has to be right forward and the boot row about half way xx
    xx

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Galaxy and I really rate it.

All 5 seats are independant and full sized - when I say independant I mean you can move them on their rails forwards and backwards to get the optimum amount of room.

Will all 7 seats in use I can still get my britax B dual in the back (upright) and still space beside it. When the seats are folded down they create a flat base - so gives great storage capacity and because the seats are independant some can be folded down and some can remain up - very flexible.

Mine is a diesel - I find it to be pretty reliable fuel wise - costs to run are not massive.

If you can get one with panoramic roof and middle storage unit that is a good purchase - keeps the car nice and light and the storage from the unit is massive especially if you are packed up with kids.

I've not actually found any fault with the car, we've had it a couple of years now and it works really well as a family car and working as a childminder
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debbiesomeone View Post
    At the moment I have a Fiat Ulysse. (citroen C8 equivalent). It's spacey, I have 2 lo in big car seats, a "bucket" seat and 3 booster seats. They all fit comfortably. The boot space when all seats are in it isn't huge but bigger than my old Zafira. £100 to fill with diesel, £250 per year tax.
    The seats I have in this car would not fit as well across the middle of the zafira. I did like that car though!
    We could be the same people

I also had a Zafira but now have a Fiat Ulysse, loved the Zaffy until it went wrong. Totally love Una, especially with her sliding doors, great for when people park too close to you!

My insurance was less than £300
    Tax is dearer due to it being a 2.2
    And to fill it up with diesel but it does last as I don't use it for school runs.

Carol xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

bucking the trend ... i have toyota verso ... 5 seats, with 2 in the boot. tiny boot with all 7 seats up, but with jiggling i can just get my double stroller in.

nice to drive and doens't feel like a bus! reasonable insurance and ok on fuel!

i love it! had a hyundai trajit ... worse car in the world. say no more!

DH is planning to get a mitsibushi outlander next! we need a 4 wheel drive, but i want a car looking car!

June 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a citroen synergie 2001 plate.
    5 toddler seats in it currently stage 1's mainly all easy to get them into, sliding doors & boot can hold lot's - last week was two double pushchairs and a single. I personally hated galaxy and zafira as boots were too small.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I HAD a Renault Scenic Megan and I WOULD NOT recommend it at all. Being an 05 plate you would think it would still be ok, but it was totally unreliable and cost me a fortune to fix! Thinks like the back windows would just decide to not work when being in the down position... this cost me £75 a time to fix. The electrics went, the ingnition electrics went, the head gasket went and the engine management system went twice. It was a horrible experience. I got rid in the end as part of a trade in for DH new car.

I would never have a renault ever again!
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Aug12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uf353432 View Post
    I have a Galaxy and I really rate it.

All 5 seats are independant and full sized - when I say independant I mean you can move them on their rails forwards and backwards to get the optimum amount of room.

Will all 7 seats in use I can still get my britax B dual in the back (upright) and still space beside it. When the seats are folded down they create a flat base - so gives great storage capacity and because the seats are independant some can be folded down and some can remain up - very flexible.

Mine is a diesel - I find it to be pretty reliable fuel wise - costs to run are not massive.

If you can get one with panoramic roof and middle storage unit that is a good purchase - keeps the car nice and light and the storage from the unit is massive especially if you are packed up with kids.

I've not actually found any fault with the car, we've had it a couple of years now and it works really well as a family car and working as a childminder
    The galaxy is definitely what I'm swaying towards! What year is yours? I really want a mk3 (from late 06-11) I can get one for a minimum of about 5000 which if I can £2000 for my estate won't be too bad.

I like how the seats are all independent and it seems so much more roomier without feeling like a tank (if that makes sense?!)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Toyota Previa, 04 new shape. 7 full size seats, massive boot, sliding doors. Had it 3 years now, no dearer to insure, tax etc than my last car (zafira). Petrol is the only difference, but it's worth it.

10. Likes sharonmanc liked this post
    Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Chrysler Voyerger, sliding doors, can stand up in side to strap lo's in the back, all 3 point seatbelts, have mcclaren twin techno & 1st wheels single in boot, but do wish I had a grand for extra boot space,
    Had a zaf before hated it! So difficult strapping in the back back as we called it

Jan 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I am looking at the Toyota Verso. I really like the fact it feels like a normal sized car and yet can give me the flexibility to fit my 2 children and the 3 little ones in the car during the school holidays. At the moment one of my mindees is term time only so I don't have to fit 5 children in the car but he goes to school next September so have started looking for 7 seater. I am also fed up of having to remove car seats if I want to give my children's friends a lift to/from clubs etc. I was looking at 1.6 petrol but have been advised to look at 2 litre diesel! Have tried out car seats and can fit 2 in back and still get to boot seats. Only issue is bucket car seats don't fit in boot very well - but I can work round that easily.
    I had a Zafira about 7 or 8 years ago and didn't like small boot and unlocking car seats to get to seats in back.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Zafira and I love it. The boot is huge which is great for pushchairs etc. I have two child seats in the back but I wouldn't be able to add another childs seat because there isn't enough room to be able to fasten the seat belts. I usually use boosters in the rear of the car as it's easier than trying to fit a third car seat

notts Guest

I have a Fiat Ulysee and love it! Sliding doors, so practical considering what we do! 7 individual seats, big boot, very powerful. Downside is price, its thirsty and high insurance group but I wouldn't swap it. The Ulysee, citreon C8 and peugoet something are all the same

md0u0131 Guest

I have a Citroen c4 Grande Picasso, absolutely love it. It has 3 isofix, easy backseats, huge boot, dead easy to drive, cheap, economical.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a VW Sharan. I have only had it a few months so can't speak for a lot of experience but...

The individual seats make fitting car seats so easy - you can adjust forward and backward on own runners so for example the infant seat I have needs a longer seatbelt to fit round - just push seat back and hey presto seat belt fits! I always keep a booster on 1 side of the middle row as it is easy to get out of the way quickly to get in the back row. In terms of boot space - I have a huuuuge buggy (Hauck duett) and it fits - I have 1 back seat pushed back and 1 pulled forward. The one pulled forward is the home of the forward facing 9month-4 yrs car seat where I sit the 13 month old as he has the shortest legs so doesn't matter that the seat is pulled forward - this gives me more boot space on his side and so the frame of my buggy goes behind this seat standing up and I have bought a strap to attach it to the car seat so it doesn't fall out when I open the boot. The top seat part fits perfectly behind the back seat that is pushed back. Any bags of the children go by their feet or in passenger seat foot well - I have 5 kids max at a time so the front seat is always empty.

Money wise - I had an Audi A4 estate before - both are diesel and fuel consumption is pretty much the same. I fill up for approx £75-£80 and the fuel thing says I get about 600 miles for this. Insurance - I am with Morton Michel and I pay £30.88 a month fully comp childminding business full no claims. - This is actually cheaper than my last car without business insurance! The tax is £215 a year.

I used to drive a Toyota Previa (8 seater) when I was nannying and the thing I liked most about it that my Sharan doesn't have is the sliding side doors and also the Previa had a little step up so easier for the kids to get in. The Previa although an 8 seater had normal style back seats (3 stuck in a row- bench style) and so it was more difficult to fit car seats and also if you want to remove seats you had to remove whole loads of seats. I only had an umbrella fold buggy in this car but loads of luggage from the kids including violins, guitars and sports bags so would say its boot was slightly bigger. Fuel consumption was ridiculous but maybe as it was petrol? Don't know about any other money related issues with it as it was their car.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have a MAZDA 5 and I LOVE it. I looked at the Zafira and the Mazda 5 definitely has more boot space and everything about it seems better quality, also I couldn't live without the sliding doors now - FAB for getting kids in and out when parked between cars.

I have 1 fixed car seat at the very back, then one on the second row and 3rd in the front. Then the rest of the seats are booster seats. If you don't need all 7 seats the middle row middle seat folds away so kids can walk through the 2 seats to the back. I liked it over the Zafira because it has split seats in the middle row so can leave a fixed car seat in and still move the other 2 seats forward to access the back.

Just wish I could have afforded the extra £2k for the sport!!!

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I drive a hyundia i800..... it's fab!

It's an 8 seater with a full huge boot space!

It has sliding doors for easy getting kids in and out... It is a big car, cannot go into multi-storey carparks as too tall and need a good size carparking space.... but I can park it in my normal size garage and still get out if I use sliding doors.....

I call it my 'bus' as it's so big... so not for the faint hearted, more minibus than car....

No good me telling you running cost etc as I'm in Germany and it's all different and tax free, but I paid less than some people paid over here for their Smax!
    God Bless xx T

Feb 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Was thinking of geting a Zafira - but looking at the comments, wil probably look at a Voyager. Does anyone know what the differance in usable boot space is between the normal and grand?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Seat Alhambra

I purchased a fantastic 7 seater Seat Alhambra this year and love it. There is lots of space for the children, the seats slide out of the way to get to the back seats and I can get a double pushchair, wellies, picnic etc in the boot whilst fully loaded with kids.

Can't recommend this car highly enough after I've had a Renault Grande Espace - Rubbish and Renault Grande Senic - slightly better but not as much room as the Espace

Tax is a tickle over £100 for the year

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tina O View Post
    I drive a hyundia i800..... it's fab!

It's an 8 seater with a full huge boot space!

It has sliding doors for easy getting kids in and out... It is a big car, cannot go into multi-storey carparks as too tall and need a good size carparking space.... but I can park it in my normal size garage and still get out if I use sliding doors.....

I call it my 'bus' as it's so big... so not for the faint hearted, more minibus than car....

No good me telling you running cost etc as I'm in Germany and it's all different and tax free, but I paid less than some people paid over here for their Smax!
    Drool, I want one of those please!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast