Payment in advance
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    notts Guest

Default Payment in advance

I plan to do this be it a week or a month but I know not everyone does, interested to know who does and what you say if client says they can't pay in advance and also if you don't, why and have you been left owed money?

Pipsqueak Guest

If payment is not in advance then I will not agree to a contract.
    I ask for a 2-4 week advance payment.

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I invoice parents on the last day of the month for the month in advance. If they aren't happy with this and it really causes a problem, well, there are plenty of other childminders in the area! Its something I won't budge on.

It has suited everyone fine and I usually get paid within 7 days of receipt of the invoice which is what I ask. That said, I have two parents who rely on their ex-husbands sending them money which doesn't always arrive on time. I make it clear that I need paying but don't hound them if it's not in my bank on a set day.

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge weekly in advance, i.e payment is due at the beginning of the week. I put invoice in the diary of the mindee on their last day of the week with me, due to be paid the first day of the following week if that makes sense. Works well so far, I do not want to end up with people owing me money and it causing embarrassing situations. I am however having one parent persistently paying me by cheque which is a pain in the bottom. By the time Ive got to the bank and paid it in, it can sometimes be a week before Ive got it cleared.

Oct 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm strictly payment in advance here, preferably by the last working day of the month, but will accept 1st of the month. I am very strict about this as I have no other income and various large amounts such as rent leaving my account on the 1st.
    No one has ever queried this.

coffee-time Guest

I charge in advance too, I give out invoices around the 25th of the month for the next months payments, everyone so far has been happy with it, if I have any time off sick (only happened once so far) I just deduct from the following months bill! Hth.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to charge in arrears but got stung to the tune of several hundred £'s once so now charge in advance. One family said they couldn't pay in advance and I stupidly took them on which caused me nothing but grief for 3 years until I'd had enough and ended with them.

I usually send out the invoices a week before the end of the month which gives everyone time to organise payment for the 1st. If they're a few days late, I don't charge late fees but will remind them if a week late.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

monthly in advance - only one parent said they couldnt so I asked when they got paid, they said the 19th of the month so I invoice them on the 20th for the following 4 weeks.
    Marnie x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahjane View Post
    I'm strictly payment in advance here, preferably by the last working day of the month, but will accept 1st of the month. I am very strict about this as I have no other income and various large amounts such as rent leaving my account on the 1st.
    No one has ever queried this.
    Same here.
    I will never agree to anything other than in advance

xxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been childminding for 18 years and have always been paid in advance. if they won't pay in advance then I won't sign a contract, simple.

I have nearly always been full as well.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone does i am paid weekly or monthly in advance. 3 parents pay through bacs, 2 childcare vouchers. It is locals authority that i find a pain as i do 12 week respite care and do not get paid till week 6 or 7 and also currently looking after a child under 2 yr funding and have no idea when payment is madear
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also paid monthly in advance. I send out invoices in the middle of the month for payment by the first of the following month. All parents know this and it's rarely a problem.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i am paid in advance, parents that really cant afford to pay monthly in advance pay me weekly in advance!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I get paid in advance, one pays monthly, one fortnightly and one a session at a time. But I dont have to ask any of them for payments, they are always there well in time.

It suits the parent to pay me sessionly, and its only 2 sessions a week. I dont ask for it, its handed to me as soon as they arrive. I have only ever done one person in arrears and thats because I knew them and they paid dead on time, in fact last month I did an ad hoc for her as he doesnt come anymore and it was done in arrears and on the day she promised she paid up.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If a parent tells you that they can't pay in advance, you have to consider what that says about the state of their finances and whether they are more likely to be unreliable payers. If they have no cushion, what will they do next time they have a big gas bill or something on the car breaks unexpectedly and it's a choice between paying you or the garage.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I get a deposit when they join. If you bill by the month then it should be an average month, then if they ever dont pay you can refuse to take the child.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I only started childminding last September & hate the money side of the buisness. At the start I was a bit of a soft touch, still am if I'm honest much to my OH dismay!

I am getting a little tougher after being let down by so called 'friends'.

Both of the ladies I've known for over 4 years, our children have gone through pre school/infant school together.

One asked me as soon as I registered if I could collect her little girl from school two afternoons a week & look after her until 4.30pm one day & 5.30pm the other. She still used the afterschool club for the other days she worked & when they had a space available for one of my days she went with them because they're cheaper!

She now only uses me once a week, her late night at work because the afterschool club closes at 5pm. She never pays if DD is off ill or on holiday - something that was in the contract! It drives my OH mad because I'm such a coward but we've known each other for such a long time & our girls play together I hate to mention it!

The other one had to leave suddenly & because she never paid in advance she owed me a months money for ages. I kept seeing her at school & she kept saying sorry we're having a few problems at home (Her OH is self employed & chasing money himself) She did pay in the end.

They say you live & learn which is true. The whole experience has made me realise if your friends can do that to you what would stranges do!

I've recently took on two new children & felt no qualms about asking their parents for payment in advance. To be honest if they've used childminders before they know it's standard practise.

Kimmy050983 Guest

I have always charged weekly in advance. I just find it the safer option..
    No parent has ever had a problem with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to let parents pay 4 weekly in advance on their payday but it got so I had so many payments on different days coming in that I changed to monthly in advance.

In Sept 2010 I sent out a note saying that they were being charged an annual fee split equally over 12 payments due on the first of each month. Life is now bliss and none of my parents batted an eyelid. Any new contracts are signed on that basis or not at all.

oct2004
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

2 weeks deposit and monthly in advance for me. All pay on time

Don't get stung like some of my friends have and are

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast