First of the 'pilot' cake rated inspections
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Penny1959 Guest

Default First of the 'pilot' cake rated inspections

Following on from the previous thread about agencies and using the cake grading system - I decided that as ET herself has said I could become an'agency' - I would pilot it today.

So to set the scene

Inspector - Penny1959 registered childminder - ( to test out the theory if could carry out an inspection / support visit while childminding - 4 x two year olds in her care)

Childminder being inpspected / supported Carol M (3 children attending)

Location Arley Arboretum

Inspection report - can not really say much prior to lunch time as to busy with my 4 - especially one with attachment difficulties.

Lunch time Carol provided a lovely healthy lunch (I think - didn't really take much notice - as the needs of the 4 in my care had to come first

Cake insopection - took full notice here - as of course a bit like paperwork now this is the deciding factor.

Home made chocolate cake skills - excellent texture and taste - could have been improved with some butter cream but Carol's reason of it being too hot for butter cream - so for cake itself Oustanding

Helping children achieve cake eating skills

Four year old - excellent - ate quickly- no waste - wanted more
    Two year old (ish) - lost a few marks as child did not want any - but Carol did not insist or force child to eat cake
    One year old - excellent age and stage appropriate pulling apart of cake, stuffing in mouth, and making a mess.

So overall - Outstanding

Room for improvement- povide larger slice of cake for inspector at next inspection

Feedback from childminder

'I have had a lovely day' (hug for inspector) 'thank you'

Inspector feedback

I think the pilot went really well - and having taken on board feedback comments from Heven Scent - yes we can save money by inspecting our best friends - so less milage and no hotel costs.

And for the record this is where the inspection took place - I think sums up childminding at its best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love it!

Errr ... is there any cake left over by any chance?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your outstanding cake inspection Carol! You must be very proud

Penny... don't take this the wrong way... but I think your inspection technique could do with some work

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you make it over to Leics as it was DD birthday yesterday and we have birthday cake WITH butter cream

And you can choose to eat it with fork or without

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Congratulations on your outstanding cake inspection Carol! You must be very proud

Penny... don't take this the wrong way... but I think your inspection technique could do with some work
    With reflection you are of course right Sarah - I should have sampled several different cakes to ensure what I was tasting was not a one off

Penny

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Can you make it over to Leics as it was DD birthday yesterday and we have birthday cake WITH butter cream

And you can choose to eat it with fork or without
    Sorry can't make it this week as have granny duties - however been asked to your end of the country in summer to do some training - so if you could recreate the birthday cake - I would be very happy to pop in and carry out your inspection.

Penny

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry Penny, but did you follow official guidance on whether or not the heat is a good enough excuse to leave off the butter cream?

Has said childminder risk assessed the dangers of butter cream on a hot day, or was it simply an assumption that it was a no no? Was there writen proof, in triplicate, backed up by indepth research and experience?
    I'm not sure we can just accept the excuse, "it was too hot"

I think, before you can arrive at a true grade, you are going to have to re-do the inspection, but insist on copious amounts of butter cream

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Home made chocolate cake skills - excellent texture and taste - could have been improved with some butter cream but Carol's reason of it being too hot for butter cream - so for cake itself Oustanding

Well I'm sorry but I would have graded this as competlety unsatisfactory, and it is such a serious breach that I'm afraid a reinspection would have to be rebooked for next week. Any more such breachs should result in daily inspection.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

wonderful xxx

Post Thanks / Like

have had a bad day ( but this post has cheered me up xx Penny you are brilliant xx

Penny1959 Guest

Glad it cheered you up desiderata.

As to grade - yes Carol did explain in detail her knowledge of heat and the dangers of butter cream - and for that matter sugar paste (something to do with cake making for mindee's birthday)

And although I won't be re inspecting for at least a week (I am a very professional and dedicated inspector) I will be expecting not only butter cream - but a range of cakes to sample.

I can't have people doubting my skills as an inspector

Penny
    Last edited by Penny1959; 25-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Inspector Penny, you have done a fabulous job today, you have earned your inspector fee... are you paid in cake???

I fear you missed out the important grade of PHOTOGRAPHY.

Outstanding for that too!!!

Gorgeous photo... illustrating perfectly what children who go to childminders have the fortune of experiencing!!!
    Jen

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL

What I want to know is who inspects the inspector ..... I volunteer Mr. Wainwaring, sir!
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Fabulous Dahling!! Excellent activity for inspection, covering all 6 (or is it 7?) areas of learning

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually Penny I think you may have to bring samples of cake to another inspector ( I volunteer ) for quality control purposes.

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Phew, glad that's over
    Was an extremely hot day and I was stressed at thought of new type inspection. But inspector was lovely, she arrived on time and straight away spoke to the children putting them at ease. We spent a couple of hours chatting, covering all areas of learning and development( children's and parent's) then sat down for lunch, no laptop in sight!
    I have to admit, I cheated! The cake I gave the inspector was offcuts from mindees birthday cake that had to be shaped into a lego brick and is now waiting to be covered in sugarpaste. I'm glad I got a chance to elaborate on my cake making experience and I think I fooled her as I have the gift of the gab!
    All the children were extremely well behaved, they nearly always are, and this inspector knew just what childminding is all about.
    Well done us
    Carol xx

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    LOL

What I want to know is who inspects the inspector ..... I volunteer Mr. Wainwaring, sir!
    Pauline - if you can get here welcome to inspect any time - I am told that my cakes are up to standard.

Penny

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    Actually Penny I think you may have to bring samples of cake to another inspector ( I volunteer ) for quality control purposes.
    Yes of course - we need to have quality control in place.

However - what are your qualifications please - I think there are a lot of very good childminders with skills in cake grading applying for the job

Penny

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Inspector
    Although I was only inspected 3 months ago, could you please bring my inspection forward as I have been undertaking huge amounts of continuous professional development to improve my cake making skills.

I have completed my Sieving efficiently form (SEF) as this procedure results in outstanding outcomes.
    I am extremely reflective - always considering how I can introduce new resources such as sprinkles, chocolate chips and icing.
    My capacity to improve is outstanding as I complete cake baking sessions everyday.

I look forward to your visit, please could you bring your own gateaux fork as we eat with our hands!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast