Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tantrums

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tantrums

Hi, my 16mth mindee had the biggest tantrum on the way out from soft play today. This is normal and fine, and I don't have a problem with it, but the question is - should I tell mindees Mum?
    She has mentioned before that mindee does have an increasing temper as he gets older, so she isn't oblivious - so should I mention it at all?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't tell her as like you say it's normal toddler behaviour and you dealt with it at the time. I'm sure mum trusts you to be able to deal with things like this so wouldn't worry her about a one off incident. I'd only mention it if it was becoming really regular.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you had to restrain him in any way - pick him up etc

OR if he laid down and banged his head or other parts of his body and there might be bruising

OR if there were witnesses who might make a malicious complaint against you then yes I would write it up for mum to see what's happened.

Hth

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies!

I did have to carry him from the play area to the shoe collection part, but he walked out to car holding my hand. It wasn't a particularly violent tantrum, just leg kicking whilst sitting up. Also, carrying him is not unusual for him - he is a young 16mths if you know what I mean!

Think I might note in his diary that he had fun at the centre and didn't want to leave, so cried on the way out.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I usually tell mum about her toddlers tantrums because often they are quite funny! He likes to pull his hair and bang his head and drops to the floor regardless of where we are. I normally just say he has had x number of meltdowns today - if its below 10 then we have probably had a good day LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I always tell parents about things like this - but try to tell it in a light hearted way so as not to make it seem more of an issue, I see it as working in partnership with parents as you need to compare notes on how you are both dealing with it to make sure that the child has continuity and also you can compare notes on techniques that you both use to help defuse the situation