Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Government Proposals IMPORTANT

Hi everyone

Attached is the NCMA campaign brief which outlines how we as childminders can help communicate to the powers that be how we feel about potential government proposals to deregulate Childminders.

It talks about the survey - which we know has been discussed at length on here - but it also outlines how we can write letters, whom we can write to and advice on what to write.

Just one of the driving factors for this change - cited by NCMA in their brief is:

g. Significant numbers of MPs who, in the past two years, have had childminder constituents write to them stating that the EYFS demands too much and they are thinking of leaving the profession. Arising from this, a concern that not enough people are choosing childminding as a career.

In order to counter that arguement we need to tell our MPs if we are happy with the EYFS, what the implications are to us if we are deregulated and call on their support and generally raise the profile of childminders and the important job we do for the families we support.

An earlier post indicated that government discussion is at its infancy and it may take years to make changes - but that doesn't mean we should inform them that any plans to deregulate (if we beleive it to be true) is a really bad idea.

Hope the attached is useful,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by uf353432; 02-05-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for sharing. I am sure everyone will want to get involved in the campaign and nip this in the bud sooner rather than later

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll have a read later

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

sept10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for letting me know. I will have a read.

onceinabluemoon Guest

Thanks for this, will have a good look through x

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Was at one of NCMA's regional meetings yesterday and we were urged to get parents involved in writing letters too

Christine

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    Was at one of NCMA's regional meetings yesterday and we were urged to get parents involved in writing letters too

Christine
    Yes I think if childminders take the information from both documents (this one and the UKCMA/Sarah707) they should have all the tools they need to make a really punchy letter to the right people.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uf353432 View Post
    Yes I think if childminders take the information from both documents (this one and the UKCMA/Sarah707) they should have all the tools they need to make a really punchy letter to the right people.
    That is an excellent idea UF

Also Christine's suggestion to ask parents to make comments / write about how losing tax credits to pay childminders will affect them.

I have included some sample parent comments in mine (thanks to my parents for letting me corner them ) and I have just put my letter to Mr Osborne (my MP) on the bottom of my thread.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=101392

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks UF (couldnt remember all the numbers )
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks honey xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who have excellant relations with preschools and local nurseries it might be worth lobbying them for input into your letter.

Questions along the lines of - has the implementation of EYFS for childminders significantly improved working in partnership with childminders in your area? how does it benefit? (shared language, same framework for assesment) do you consider childminders more professional and on an level standing with your setting? if childminders locally were to go out of business because of planned changes would you as a setting have capacity to mop up the additional childcare quickly for parents? Is there a demand for childminders in you local area?

This might be especially pertinant for rural locations.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you that is brilliant - I'll add that to my list of chores for tomorrows paperwork day - I'm living in hope aren't I!!!
    Celest

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uf353432 View Post
    For those of you who have excellant relations with preschools and local nurseries it might be worth lobbying them for input into your letter.

Questions along the lines of - has the implementation of EYFS for childminders significantly improved working in partnership with childminders in your area? how does it benefit? (shared language, same framework for assesment) do you consider childminders more professional and on an level standing with your setting? if childminders locally were to go out of business because of planned changes would you as a setting have capacity to mop up the additional childcare quickly for parents? Is there a demand for childminders in you local area?

This might be especially pertinant for rural locations.

Great idea - I have drafted my letter - will now add something about this
    Thanks
    Christine

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a chat with my DO about this the other day while she was here.

She thinks that what might happen eventually is that childminders will be moved to Local Authority rather than Ofsted (they can't afford us lol!)

We will be inspected by the local authority i.e. our Development Officer or similar. Someone who knows us and knows the way we work rather than a snapshot in time by someone we've never met.

We will continue to be able to access Nursery Funding and Vouchers and Tax Credits through being registered with the Local Authority as we are now registered with Ofsted.

Oh and yes, we will still be using the EYFS.

If it turned out this way, I'd be quite happy!

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I quite like the Ofsted Inspector role - as much as I love my DO and she is great - I wonder how impartial she will be.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    I had a chat with my DO about this the other day while she was here.

She thinks that what might happen eventually is that childminders will be moved to Local Authority rather than Ofsted (they can't afford us lol!)

We will be inspected by the local authority i.e. our Development Officer or similar. Someone who knows us and knows the way we work rather than a snapshot in time by someone we've never met.

We will continue to be able to access Nursery Funding and Vouchers and Tax Credits through being registered with the Local Authority as we are now registered with Ofsted.

Oh and yes, we will still be using the EYFS.

If it turned out this way, I'd be quite happy!
    I've met my DO once, almost 3 years ago, and since then nothing. So she knows me really well

xxxx