Childminders without a driving license...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do drive but cant use the car for work. Firstly because its hubbys company car and although im insured to drive it they wont allow me business use and secondly I wouldnt be able to fit all the children in as its only a 5 seater.

I walk everywhere which is fine most days. I worked out I walk about 15miles a week and have holes in my boots to prove it...lol
    On days like this when its chucking it down I do despair but theres nothing I can do about it even though the bleeding car is on the drive today...

I have never had anyone turn me down because I dont have a car. We live a 20min walk from town and a 10-15min to school so everywhere is reachable.

The only time I miss it is when we cant go further afield like the farm or another park but i feel parents can do these things at the weekend or days off etc.
    Last edited by JCrakers; 03-05-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: my apalling typos

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    MET
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been known to go on day trips that have involved, a bus, train and tram ride to get to the kids enjoy that more than the end destination.
    Charlotte
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive either but don't think it's ever put anyone off sending their child to me.

Some of the children probably wish I did, they get so used to being ferried around in the car, walking comes as a bit of a shock to some of them!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I don't drive either but don't think it's ever put anyone off sending their child to me.

Some of the children probably wish I did, they get so used to being ferried around in the car, walking comes as a bit of a shock to some of them!

Miffy xx
    I've got one 5 year old who moans about walking home from mine - he lives across the road

I drive and my sons used to love the odd time we went anywhere by bus as it was such a novelty to them!!!

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    I've got one 5 year old who moans about walking home from mine - he lives across the road

I drive and my sons used to love the odd time we went anywhere by bus as it was such a novelty to them!!!
    I had a mindee on the bus today, he's obviously used to been driven everywhere and didn't know how to behave on the bus, he was jumping about all over the place!

Going to have to take a few more bus trips so he learns

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive nobody has been put off by this.

We live in a quiet town only 1 town service bus we use sometimes most children never go on a bus so they love it.

I don't have school age children very often i'm happy to have under 5's as i have grandchildren in the hols, i do nursery /play school pick ups the ones we can walk to.

My main problem is getting off my estate when using double buggy either walking down a busy road with NO PATH OR LOTS OF STEPS going down through the estate thats when i miss not having car

Some parents like the thought of their children walking
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive and although we live on a small estate on the outskirts of a village ( in the middle of nowhere, Penny will vouch for that, won't you ?) It has never been a problem until last Sept when the county council removed our school bus service . So we (parents , my Hubby and Carolyn) have drawn up a school rota and it seems to be working, but apart from that me not driving has never put any parents off sending their child to me .

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

wow this has had a great response thank you!!

I live in a town. We have bus services to the city and other area's if we wanted to go on trips we also have a train station that goes to city and other places so toddler groups are more than accessable!

I live close to a couple of schools and nursery all about a 15minute walk. We also live right on the doorstep to all the open spaces of the peak district national park and there is a great park 5minutes from my house and another one with a great big playing field a few more minutes in the oposite direction! Shops are within walking distance too.

I had one parent ask if i could drive i said no is that a problem and it wasn't because i lived close to the nursery she'd chosen but she went with a nanny as it was less hassle for the kids and less unsettling. Which i could understand she has twins under 1 and a toddler.

Parent on the phone has a child starting school just down the road from my house and when i told her i couldn't drive so it'd be a walk she seemed rather put off by the tone of her voice and the conversation soon ended after that... needless to say not heard anything back.

I have now made it clear on my website i can't drive. If they don't like it then they won't contact. I have mentioned how i like to enjoy walking around the local countryside. I have a guide for children i made for following the green cross code too. I think it's important for children to learn how to use the pavements and roads safely i see sooo many kids on bikes with no lights (at dusk/dark) riding all over the road unsafely and darting out in front of traffic not using pedestrian crosses its unnerving.
    I've seen parents profiles on childcare.co.uk near me who state minder must drive to run their child around to all their after school activities and such! I don't want to be a taxi service and i don't plan on wasting hundreds of pounds in learning to drive just so i can be one!
    Currently not minding

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive, and the only parents who have ever questioned it were more concerned about what I would do in the event of a major accident and had to get to the hospital. (They're a tiny bit PFB!).

I just told them if it was that serious I'd call an ambulance, and the hospital is about 4 minutes away. Much less in an ambulance with lights and sirens.

And they signed up!

Most of them like the fact that I use public transport, tbh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12