Childminders without a driving license...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminders without a driving license...

I was wondering if there were any childminders on here who can't drive and if so how difficult was it for you to get mindees when you said.. I don't drive? It seems the couple of times i've said it to potential parents they're then like.. Oh.. Erm. Ok. I'll get back to you. I'd understand if they had a 5yr old who was at school on the otherside of town but these are people who's kids go to school about a 15 minute walk down the road and thats at my brothers speed. For me it'd be less. It's a little off putting i don't plan to learn anytime soon it's far too costly and public transport has always been reliable enough where i've needed it. What would you do?
    Currently not minding

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a driving licence but wouldn't drive to collect a child 15 mins away from school! I would walk.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive and I rarely have vacancies. It hasn't ever put parents off as far as I can tell.

We have a lot going on around here - toddler groups, library within walking distance, sure start activities etc, so I can show parents how we get out & about without the need for a car. I also stree how important it is for children to be given the opportunity to walk. Many are taken everywhere in the car and have little experience of actually walking anywhere or of crossing roads.

If you think it is putting parents off, don't be apologetic about it, but sell it as a positive - fresh air, the opportunity to become road-smart, all the fun things you do when walking

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you tell the parents that you don't drive or do they ask, if they do l would say no is that a problem to you, if they don't ask l wouldn't say unless you were asked to collect a child from a school that was too far away and give that as the reason for not taking their child on.

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

we don't drive and are nearly always full .We live in a large village besides a Mothers and toddlers group one morning a week and a couple of parks there is nothing to do So we are lucky to have a train station down the road so twice a week we catch a train to various activities its never hindered us not being able to drive

cathy

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont drive, we walk everywhere. I am lucky we have lots of parks, fields, duckpond, toddler groups and a school, all within easy reach

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it should put parents off but it all depends on what sort of setting you are and where you live more importantly.
    If you live in a city with lots of things on your door step and public transport is reliable then I really don't think it's an issue.
    I'm quite rural and I hate being stuck in I go out most mornings and in the hols were always out, usually throw some outdoor toys in the car,picnic and we go off to country parks/woods etc for the day and you just couldn't do that If you didn't drive most if them are about an hour away by car or in odd locations where theres no buses.
    I do think though what you've never had you never miss, I've been driving for 16yrs since I was 24 and I never really got the whole it will completely change your life, the world Is your oyster, just get in the car and go anywhere type of thing but I just couldn't imagine not having a car I love my car and the freedom it gives me but not everyone's the same.
    I'm sure there's lots of parents out there who couldn't care less whether you can drive or not. X

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive and it has put one parent off as she didn't want her 5 year old wanting a 15-20 minute to and back from school No one else has bothered about it though, in fact no one else has asked!

I am currently learning to drive though but that's for me personally, if it helps with my business then that's an added bonus.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive, I walk 15 minutes to one school in the morning, 10 minutes to another school at lunch, 15 minutes to the morning school in the afternoon for my daughter amongst walking 20 minutes to walkgroups, 20 minutes to shops and libraries, or 5 minutes to the woods

At the moment I've had a new mindee who isn't used to walking and quite lazy so this is really tiring him out

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I can drive but I don't always have use of the car. I live 15min walk to the school and wouldn't drive there anyway. Majority of the time I have too many children to fit them in the car anyway

It has never put anybody off but I do look after a few children who are not used to walking anywhere - I can tell this by there constant moaning

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive and I know lots and lots of minders who are drivers but chose not to drive when they are minding.
    It has never put anyone off before, no one has ever asked if I drive either. I live local to all amenities, town parks, schools so it is never a problem getting around on foot

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive I get around just fine . Its never put anyone off in fact some parents would prefer their child not to go in a car. I only service the school which my girls go to and are in walking distance I do not put myself out for no one they fit in with me and I have been full since I registered

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I drive but chose not to use the car prefer to walk everywhere, we have libraries, parks and a farm in walking distance and if needed we get the bus, I prefer to walk as good exercise and fresh air for the kids and they love getting the bus and I dont like them being stuck in the car, I have 1 mindee who is now an excellent walker, however when she started to have to walk with me she didnt like it at all and would have major meltdowns to try and not have to walk, after a few times of tantruming on the grass then having to get up and walk anyway she learnt quickly to get on with it!
    She didnt use to have to walk much with parents as they drove most places or used the buggy for her, now she walks lovely for them to!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive and have no intention of learning - I hate it and would be a liability!

We get out to most places - just got back from soft play and lunch in local town (I live outside a village, 4 or 5 miles to nearest town)

If it puts people off, I am not the one for them We make the most of the countryside and large garden and kids love the buses which are infrequent but I plan round them

I don't do schools as my own kids are teens and I have finished my years and years of pick ups
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmm a day without any school pickups... Heaven!

onceinabluemoon Guest

I don't drive and its never put anybody off as far as I know. we walk everywhere or go by bus. I'm also having driving lessons right now but as for the PP they are for me not for work. I shall continue to walk with mindees...

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive either and doubt I ever will due to cost and confidence lol but I make it clear from the outset, it has never put anyone off. We are very rural but still seem to find plenty to do, however as the mindees get older it might become difficult as they could get bored, I will just have to wait and see, one advantage is that we see so much when we walk also we have lovely conversations that we couldn't have in a car

sep2001
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CSSIW
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a license but havnt driven for over 7 years. I walk everywhere local and for days out we either go on the train, bus or if my childminding friend has a few seats spare we go out together.

Only been a problem once and that was several years ago before I moved closer to the school. I had a family sign up but then a week before starting they decieded they didnt want their child going on the school run in all weathers - their choice

may 84
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive and as far as I know not put anyone off, I am full and often get approached at the school. I am lucky that school I go to is not far and we can walk through the local park near me for half the journey. Also close to station with good links for trips.

Even after bad weather (which always seems to get worse at school times) I have not had comments about not being able to drive them.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    MET
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive, never have.

The two schools I drop off/collect from are both half a mile away. Occasionally we walk from one to the other which means potentially a child walking between a mile and half and two miles.

I have had two parents who have chosen not to have their children come to me, when I said that we walk everywhere, but to be honest I really don't want a child that expects to be pushed in a pushchair at 5 simply as mummy finds it easier.

All the children on my books now (bar one who is 10) love walking and during summer months we regularly go on walks of between 5-10 miles, depending on the age of the children with me that day.
    Charlotte
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast