Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Calpol for being grizzley

Hi all

Have a 13 mth old who has a cold. Dad signed form for Calpol. Child hasnt had a temperture so I havnt given any. Every evening when mum picks up she asks if she has had Calpol & I have said no as she hasnt had a temperture. I said she has been a bit grizzley with her cold (so have I with mine lol). Mum said I should have given it to her if she is grizzley however my understanding is that it is for temperture & pain not just coz child ha a normal cold. I get the impression they give it at the drop of a hat which I dont. I would welcome your thoughts please. Am i being harsh or following guildlines.

Thanks

Cupcake22

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As a rule i will only give it once and only for a temperature or teething pain. I never give it just because a child is grizzly. I also refuse to give cough medicine as there's no proof it actually does any good.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are quite right. Calpol is for lowering temperature and relieving pain. I don't take a paracetamol every time I'm in a bad mood!

it worries me how many parents don't seem to realise that Calpol is a drug that is potentially harmful if taken too often and should be used sparingly and with the utmost respect. When my son has pneumonia the hospital weighed him to make sure his Calpol dose was exactly right.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago DH used to work for a pharmaceutical company. One day he had to go sort out the big bosses computer and they got chatting, DH mentioned that Cameron was teething and nothing was helping. This guy is fully trained in all this and suggested medised and explained it is really strong and advised on correct use.

I went to the chemist and asked about getting some and the lady behind the counter starting having a right go at me and said "Well, this is really strong and will probably make him sleep, you better not want it to just knock him out!" I was furious to say the least. I know some parents do, but how dare she judge me!

Anyway I give medicine when for a high temp and pain as a last resort. So I would strip my child down, cool the room, get them to lay down, have cuddles ect, but if none of that helped THEN I would give medicine.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a parent that would give her 6yrold calpol everytime she got upset or didnt want to go to school to 'sooth' her I tried to explain that if the child was ill enough to have calpol she shouldnt really be going to school or coming to me but mum would say 'oh no shes not ill it just keeps her quiet and happy so she will go to school'
    I tried tactfully to explain to mum that her body woudl become imune to the effects but she wouldnt listen

Jan 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Nursery Nurse
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a LO who had some Febrile convulsions with his other CM and with his Grandma last week. It was due to an infection. Mum brought me the info sheet from the hspital today, as I will be having him again from next Tuesday. Even in this info sheet it says not to give Calpol just to bring down temperature in the hope of avoiding a convulsion. So if it is advised against even in that situation it surely should not be given just because a child is grizzly.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont give and would only give if the child had temp then that would be after i had taken all measures to cool them down..
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, I wouldn't give it either unless there was a clear medical reason - being grizzly doesn't count.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replys. I knew that I was right but I just needed my forum friends to clarify it for me.

Cupcake22