Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do?! Variation? Help?!

Hello

Ok so i was having no interest to some interest... I have recently contacted one parent about a 2.5 yr old and we have discussed meeting... we all know this isn't a dead cert.

But just now i have had another email off a parent who has a 2.5 yr old and 7month twins! Obviously i can't do this without a variation... I'm wondering if i should respond and say i am interested even though i could potentially if all went well then have two parents with 4 EY kids wanting care from me! ARGH?!

What do you think is the best way to approach this situation. I am going to send a courtesy email back now saying I have recieved her email and If she could provide me with some extra info then i could get back to her tomorrow with more information. I'd love to be able to take them all on if needed, i do worry though that twins may be a bit of a handful! especially with the 2.5yr old. :/

Lots of advice welcomed. (These are my first real leads and would get me into the career i want to be in!)

Thanks Ladies X
    Currently not minding

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hon, at the moment they are all meetings so you are not over numbers. meet with them both. tell them you are meeting with other parents.

do you have under 5's yourself. If so you may be able to get a variation for this family the same ways as with twins
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    hon, at the moment they are all meetings so you are not over numbers. meet with them both. tell them you are meeting with other parents.

do you have under 5's yourself. If so you may be able to get a variation for this family the same ways as with twins
    I know there meetings and they both could turn around and say no, i just don't want to meet them both, both say yes then ofsted say no and i have to let some one down :/ IYSWIM? Typical *insert forgotten saying on buses all coming at once* (it's late brain not willing to function)

Oh and i don't have any kids of my own...but that's another thread.
    Currently not minding

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

lol - waiting for the other thread.

have you arranged ANY meetings yet? if not, try to put first mum off and see mum of 3 first. she'll be glad - and very lucky to place all 3 kids with one minder so am sure she'll be keen.

then if you feel she is not, tell her you have another mum coming to see you tomorrow so please let you know quickly. Then if she takes you up , ring other mum and say sorry space is no longer available and if she doesn't see other mum and take her on if keen.

If BOTH are dawdling and being cagey. Tell both you have seen other potential mindees and please let you know asap as you'll have to take the person who confirms first

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

lol - waiting for the other thread.

have you arranged ANY meetings yet? if not, try to put first mum off and see mum of 3 first. she'll be glad - and very lucky to place all 3 kids with one minder so am sure she'll be keen.

then if you feel she is not, tell her you have another mum coming to see you tomorrow so please let you know quickly. Then if she takes you up , ring other mum and say sorry space is no longer available and if she doesn't see other mum and take her on if keen.

If BOTH are dawdling and being cagey. Tell both you have seen other potential mindees and please let you know asap as you'll have to take the person who confirms first

The first parent with just the one child is being quite slow in replying to emails i did let her know what days i was free to meet but nothing set. So i am not overly confident in that one as she already has her child with a childminder so unsure of her reasons to leave that childminder as of yet. Was going to go through that subtly in a meeting.

If this second parent with the 3 children is quicker to respond then i shall try to arrange a meeting before the other mum. I hope she doesn't run screaming if i quote her a price though for 3 children for 3 days per week. haha. Just trying to think of a reasonable sibling discount as i say on my website i'd be willing to provide it.

Thanks for your help you've made me think a little clearer.
    Currently not minding

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzle View Post
    The first parent with just the one child is being quite slow in replying to emails i did let her know what days i was free to meet but nothing set. So i am not overly confident in that one as she already has her child with a childminder so unsure of her reasons to leave that childminder as of yet. Was going to go through that subtly in a meeting.

If this second parent with the 3 children is quicker to respond then i shall try to arrange a meeting before the other mum. I hope she doesn't run screaming if i quote her a price though for 3 children for 3 days per week. haha. Just trying to think of a reasonable sibling discount as i say on my website i'd be willing to provide it.

Thanks for your help you've made me think a little clearer.
    no problem. make sure your sibling discount is placed on older child in case they reduce hours when they start nursery

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

no problem. make sure your sibling discount is placed on older child in case they reduce hours when they start nursery
    Good point!
    Currently not minding

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would tend more towards the family with 3 children. You would need a variatin to have 2 children under 1, but as long as you can show how you would manage that, there's a good chance you'd get it.

You're unlikely to get a variation for a 4th EY child though as they are not usually granted for new business.

mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

it's got to be worth meeting all of them surely ? You might find that if they all wanted to place children you might be able to offer that eg if one wanted 3 days and the other family 2 days

Don't say no to anyone but be honest and say you have had several enquries so will need to be very clear about days , times etc to see if it's possible to offer a place.
    Good luck. It's true enquiries are like buses and all come at once

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    I agree with the others: keep your options open I wouldn't be saying a definite no to anyone until I had a 4 week deposit paid and contract signed, preferably with the 3 sibling family (if you get along ok with Mum at first meeting).

I would only give a small discount, on the oldest child, and only when all 3 are attending at the same time .

Also wanted to say, if you took on the family of 3 over the 3 days and the other family also started but on different days, you would very likely be able to get a variation for the 4th child on grounds of continuity of care . If you want to that is

Good luck, let us know how it goes

best wishes,
    Wendy

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok mum has just emailed me back about meeting this week! I'm going to agree to it obviously. She says she's seen a few childminders and really wants to get something sorted in next few weeks... she said...

One childminder she's spoke to said Ofsted often class twins as one?? Now i'm not experienced like most of you and i think that sounds wrong. They wouldn't class them as one but would allow a variation for continuity of care right? seeing as the twins are both under 1.
    Currently not minding