what do you do? Advice for charging fairly!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what do you do? Advice for charging fairly!

Hi, a newbie in epsom surrey, in need of advice about what to charge so that it's fair!
    1. If you provide ad hoc care do you take any children when parents ask, or do you enroll them first so you have their details, information and then they are welcome to book ad hoc care as and when.

2. I see cm's charge parents for the space, does that mean if I have a mindee all day but they go to pre school for a few hours, do I charge as normal for those hours as its their space and I would still be responsible should they need to be collected for any reason, or is is more reasonable to reduce the charge when mindee in preschool?

3. If I state that full fee applies for parents holiday, then I shouldn't need to worry about retainer fees? Is it fair to charge during all the school holidays if they don't attend, is this quite common?

4. I'm planning to charge for breakfast club sessions and after school sessions, this should be offered as term time only right? What do you do for the holidays with these spaces?

5. What's a good sibling discount? I have very limited space to make an income, as I have 3 children already, but I want to offer something to be competivie.

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of my questions! Lots of cm's don't state their fees online and I don't want to be too cheeky in callin them all just to ask so I thought I would ask here first! Tia x

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

1. If you provide ad hoc care do you take any children when parents ask, or do you enroll them first so you have their details, information and then they are welcome to book ad hoc care as and when.
    For ANY care you need the basic details- contact info, child's details, parents details, medical info, permissions, agreement of fees/conditions so that is usually all done the first time they need childcare then kept on record for future times. You need to allow time for that paperwork to be done- either well in advance or the day before or whatever you want.

2. I see cm's charge parents for the space, does that mean if I have a mindee all day but they go to pre school for a few hours, do I charge as normal for those hours as its their space and I would still be responsible should they need to be collected for any reason, or is is more reasonable to reduce the charge when mindee in preschool?
    Some charge, some don't some charge 50%. I charge full rate if I take and collect from nursery.

5. What's a good sibling discount? I have very limited space to make an income, as I have 3 children already, but I want to offer something to be competivie.
    I NEVER give sibling discount, I even think I should charge extra!! You are taking on a lost more risk with siblings- if they move house/lose job/leave you for any reason your lose 2+ children all at once which can really hit your business hard (it happened to me).

(I can't answer schoolie questions as I do not do that age group)

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Enrol them first so you have all details you need.

It all depends on individuals. A lot of childminders do charge as they are taking a space. I don't charge when at Preschool as its not very often done since I offered FEEE. Most children stay with me.

3. If I state that full fee applies for parents holiday, then I shouldn't need to worry about retainer fees? Is it fair to charge during all the school holidays if they don't attend, is this quite common?

Again, it all depends on each childminder. I charge for all their holidays and sickness and don't charge a retainer. I offer a termtime only contract and this makes it easier for me because I don't like a house full of school children during the holidays. My under 5's attend all year round. If you are charging all year round then be prepared to work it if parents want holiday care.

4. I'm planning to charge for breakfast club sessions and after school sessions, this should be offered as term time only right? What do you do for the holidays with these spaces?

I would offer these term time and then offer holiday care if parents want it. It depends if you want to work school holidays?. I started off by doing them and then the children grew and became 10-11yrs old. Now they go to a sports club as my house wasn't offering them what they needed. So I offer all year round contracts for little ones and let parents of school decide what to do in the holiday's. They know I don't work a lot of holidays and I will drop them at the sports club and pick them up.

I have a family of 3 and offer all 3 for £8.80 (normal rate £3.50) and will only offer a discount if they are full time. Don't do yourself out of money. You only have 3spaces for under 3's so don't do yourself out of cash.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

4. Likes lollipop kid liked this post