Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maternity leave

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maternity leave

What do you charge if a parent takes maternity leave? I charge half rate if they don't come to keep the space open. I have explained this clearly to parents and have recently offered them chance to drop off later and collect later as they've just had a baby and don't need the early start (it's suited me too!). They have dropped off later then collected at normal time. They are now asking me if the later start is charged at half rate for maternity leave. I said no as they were still sending her. They are good parents and won't cause problems but I feel there's been wires crossed. Should I give them a refund?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have dealt with several maternity leaves...

Either:

1] Child continues as per contract
    2] Child no longer attends during maternity leave- end of contract and they can ask me if there is a space at a future date but no guarantees.
    3] Child comes for fewer days or hours- this is a change to the contract, they pay the agreed new hours as long as the new arrangement suits me. If they want to increase hours at a future date then they can ask and see if more hours are available- no guarantees. I will try to fill the spare hours if it suits me.

I would not do anything other than one of those 3 options
    I would not keep the space open- unless I want to reduce my income for a while for some reason.

I think you need to sit down with contracts and get it clear- what hours do they now want, what are you prepared to offer. Are you really sure you want to keep hours open at 50% income? Update contracts and all sign. Make sure fees are clear for holidays too.

3. Likes Rolacolapink liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Moggy. I did explain several times to parents how I work with maternity leave. Parents do still want me at normal hours but will change when mum goes back to work. Already aware they can't have one day as I don't have the space unless something changes by the time they need me. Because I know they have wanted LO's normal hours throughout mum's maternity leave, I did give them the option (as I normally do) of half rate but not sending or if they wanted to adjust their hours to give me notice. I am happy to do the half rate with no child. Everything was as normal then they asked if they could drop off later whilst both parents off for 3 weeks. I agreed as it made my life easier too as LO starts before my start time. I was happy for them to drop off later and collect later if they wanted. Because of the hours LO had, I was still working so made no difference on the start and finish time. Parents dropped off later but collected at normal time which was fine with all of us. Parents have now questioned why they have paid full rate for the late start as they were under the impression it was half rate. I said half rate if LO not coming - not coming late! They are nice and are happy to pay but feel awkward because they've obviously not grasped what I've said. Think I'll just explain it again to them and tell them sorry no refund.