Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 12
    Non childminder member
    Nanny/CM2B
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fees for school runs??

Ok need some advice... I have 4 children I take to and from school. 3 of them come to me before school run so I charge a normal hourly fee, thr 4th child lives round the corner and I pick him up and take him to school then drop him home again. I only charge him £1 there and £1 back. We have no contract should I increase my fee for him and charge ontop of current fees for school runs?
    I have bought a new bigger car just to fit the kids in which is costing me more insurance and fuel. Or am I being greedy?

Thanks xx

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a minimum fee that I would charge. He is taking up a place, even if you don't have him for long...

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you should have a contract even for this small amount of minding, as I think if anything went wrong you could find you are not insured

sept 12
    Non childminder member
    Nanny/CM2B
    Post Thanks / Like

I am doing a contract for him. Well he doesnt take a place but does in the car. If that makes sense so can only really have kids when I havent got him. As in after 8am and before 3pm. So I guess he kinda does. I just need to know if I should charge for school runs or just a bit more for his?
    Thanks

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

up to you really, but he is taking up a place by being present as you cant take on another child, i would charge normal fees, is there a reason he cant go home with you and hes collected from you?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

£1 there and £1 back?!!
    Are you best friends with his Mum?!!
    I charge £10 minimum fee for before and after school pick up, that may be too much in this case but I would not do it for less than my hourly rate - dont sell yourself short!
    The Mum would never find anyone else (Qualified) to do it for £1 each way !

7. Likes AliceK liked this post
    sept 12
    Non childminder member
    Nanny/CM2B
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I started it as I had the other children full time so kinda made my money back on them. But now I dont have them. I am out of pocket so wanted to know the going rate. But now have two new full timer starting monday so can no longer bring him home. Due to space in the car.
    While I think do any of you charge extra for school runs or is it included in fees?

Cheers xxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I include it in fees but charge a minimum of £10 for before and after school.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a minimum of £10 for after school fees and £5 min charge for the morning. I would have a contract set up as they are taking a space. Karen 2010 - quick question, if you had siblings for 30 mins after school would you charge £20? Do you charge half rate in the hols for term time only contracts ie school runs? I have a sibling starting with me in September and I don't usually do discounts for siblings but feel quite mean charging £20. I know this is my normal rate. Just like your input thanks. x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Merlot,
    I would still charge £20, 2 children is 2 places still same amount of work !!!
    I don't take on TTO as a rule as my Daughter 9 so I want to work in the school hols, but most Childminders I know charge half fees.
    I don't offer sibling discount ever, I have 4 siblings starting with me next Sat, siblings can be harder work as they can argue more, and leave a big space in your numbers when they leave !
    That said looking forward to next Saturday, 4 sisters and they are all adorable !!!
    Hope this helps xxxx

12. Likes Merlot liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't really tell you what to do. I'm not your boss: you are. All we can do here on forum is to tell what we do, and maybe ask the questions you need to be asking yourself.

Am I correct in guessing that you may want to know the going rate so as to put a case to your client along the lines of "other CM's charge £##, so will I." ? That's fine as far as it goes, but essentially you can only charge what both client and service-provider are happy with, otherwise = no deal.

I have minimum daily charge for any booking = £10. That's also my standard rate for a morning or afternoon school run, whilst it's £15 for both morning and afternoon (appropriate meals included and a limit of the hours they get for those fees.) Quote that to mum if you wish, but I can't see her jumping for joy at a 1000% fee increase.

I can't say as I entirely agree with the constant CMs' mantra of "but they're taking up a place." that only really stands if someone else actually wants that place. Locally, I'm surrounded by CMs who constantly whine they have vacancies they can't fill, whilst simultaneously refusing part-timers on the grounds that "they'll take up a place". But then, this is a common habit of the self-employed: to forever see the glass at half-empty and that they're 'losing money'.

That said, you do need to decide if this job is worth the £1. Then, if it is, would it still be worth the £1 if it were the only school run you did. That sounds a bit crazy, but if it's only worth it cos the other parents are paying full whack, then they're effectively subsidising your £1 discount client. That may eventually cause aggravation with your full-fee clients.

I did similar last year: took on a 40 minute school run at somewhat less than my minimum charge because I was already going to school. Then my other schoolie client dropped out and left me wondering if I really wanted to get out of bed and have to face the playground for so little. Thankfully it was only a temporary arrangement, but it did teach me to stick to my minimum in future. Especially so cos the client's friend then wanted me to take her child for a school run at a silly price too. That's the other danger: you may suddenly become known as the bargain basement CM of your area.

This is all part of being self-employed though I've yet to be convinced that's something most CMs ever come to terms with.

14. Likes joannes liked this post