Payment waaaayyy overdue
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Payment waaaayyy overdue

Hi, would just like a little bit of advice really on what you would do in this situation,
    I have a mindee for 1 day a week who is loveely soo chatty and his personality is just great, he used to be my screamer and I would dread him coming but he is now soo settled I just dont know what to do . Mum is way behind on paying me and i mean wayyyyyy behind i only charge £22 for his day with me and for the last 3 months or so she has owed me £250 she occasionally make the odd payment of £20 and sometimes if she is lucky enough to sell something on ebay i get the odd bit payed into my paypal account!!! Anyway last week i decided i was going to say she had to pay up but chickened out as usual so I sent a text ( this is how she communicates withm me) saying i am closing my finacial books on April 5th and all outstanding monies need to be paid by then at the latest, I have had no reply, so will wait and see what she says on weds at drop off. I am seriously thinking of giving notice but what would you suggest??

oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say on Wednesday when she drops off oh did you get my text and i would also say sorry i cant take your child till your all up to date. I too have a parent who's a little behind but she has always been honest and in the end i do get it. This is one part i hate.

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents + payments = Nightmare

They just don't understand it's a business and we work from home and have bills to pay, just like they do.

I would speak to her next time she is in and ask her when she will be paying you. Hope you get it sorted soon xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to sound rude, but how on earth has it got her owing so much money? She pays £22 a week and owes £250

Have you ever asked her to pay what she owes you, or have you ever told her you'll suspend care if she doesn't pay? I suspect she's taken you for a ride because you let her

It doesn't sound as if she's got any money to pay you, so where do you think it's going to come from if you demand it all now? I think you need to sit down with her & have a serious talk about how much she owes you and how she's going to pay it. Work out a payment schedule with her and get her to sign it.

If she still doesn't pay up, then give notice. It's not as if you're going to miss the money as you haven't actually been getting it anyeay

Good luck. It's not a nice position to have got yourself into, but with a lot of determination you'll be able to get yourself out of it

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would start by drawing up an invoice to give her this week of exactly what she owes and for what, Include any payments she has made already too, so that you both know exactly where you stand. As you have already said you need the payment by 5th of April stick with that for now but as the previous poster says it might be too much money for her to find in one go so you'll need to be prepared with a back up plan. Write out a payment schedule and include any future fees on it too, make sure she is happy with it and get her to sign it. Be clear about what will happen if payment is late. (late fees or withdrawal of care) And then stick to your guns, you need to be firm or you'll never get your money.
    I would also explain that you need this money to pay your bills and ask her how she would feel if her wages were consistently paid late.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

perhaps you could produce a full list of what you have been paid and when so outline for her the total ...I would bet she thinks she is catching up when she pays in bits and bobs.......you could very kindly mention that as of april 5th she will start to hit late payment fees etc and you would rather get this sorted before it gets that far........she may have to get busy on ebay to settle up with you.....I think we have all had the parent who somehow or other manages to get away with not paying or paying in an as and when basis....they always have amazing reasons for not paying...its happened to me where .......I got a txt sorry in hospital ....having boob job done xx

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I know parents can be a nightmare sometimes and I hate confrontation and I have had problems with my mindee's mum paying me (she pays weekly) but I never let it go longer than a few days (apart from last Easter when she went on holiday and didn't pay me for two weeks) I had strong words with her then and tbh she is still usually a day late but it's ok.
    I do have to say I really don't think you should of left it so long I really don't know if your going to get your money and without sounding horrable I think she's taking the Michael out of you, really you need to maybe set up a payment plan every week to incorporate what she owes you and if she doesn't pay then you don't have her lo end of story, you need to be firm I think otherwise you won't get anywhere, hope it all turns out ok. X

onceinabluemoon Guest

You need to get firm and quick. Ring her tonight. Tell her she now owes in excess of £200 and you cannot let it get any worse so you will suspend care until its paid to date. You won't see it but at least you won't be working for nothing anymore.

Feb 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree it has only got to this point because i have let it happen and have just stood and nodded my head when she comes out with all the excuses as to why she cant pay this week ie, boiler broke, havent been paid for her overtime at work yet I have just looked at my emails today and she has sent a payment of £30!!!! And my hubby has just looked at my paypal account and said that everytime she pays me by paypal i dont get the full amount as i ahve to pay paypal fees ie she has just paid £30 but i will actually only recieve £28.78 of that so have just sat down and gone through all the times she has paid by paypal and totted it up to add it back onto her bill
    I WILL be strong tomorrow and say that i need it paid or i will not care for lo unitl it is cleared i am sure she will have some excuse tho

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cara1235 View Post
    I WILL be strong tomorrow and say that i need it paid or i will not care for lo unitl it is cleared i am sure she will have some excuse tho
    Then you just say, "well I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm sure you understand that I'm running a business so you will understand why I'm going to terminate your contract with immediate effect due to non payment".

Don't what for her to turn up on your doorstep, it is seriously MUCH harder to refuse a child entry when they're there. You've already written it off in your head that she will have an excuse which of course means you will accept that excuse and continue to be a doormat. If you're happy to be her doormat then please continue to do so but if you're not then PHONE HER NOW!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    Then you just say, "well I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm sure you understand that I'm running a business so you will understand why I'm going to terminate your contract with immediate effect due to non payment".

Don't what for her to turn up on your doorstep, it is seriously MUCH harder to refuse a child entry when they're there. You've already written it off in your head that she will have an excuse which of course means you will accept that excuse and continue to be a doormat. If you're happy to be her doormat then please continue to do so but if you're not then PHONE HER NOW!!
    I agree with OIABM - stop putting it off & phone her now! As, like a lot of us, you obvioulsy find it difficult to say no to her. Do you really think it's going to be any easier when she is standing on front of you with the child? Are you really going to be able to tell her to take him away again, or will you just accept another excuse like she's come to expect?
    Phone now. Tell her she's going to have to pay or not bring the child. Put a stop to it now. Even if she disappears and you never see her again you're no worse of than you are now when you're working for free!

Post Thanks / Like

Is mum getting tax credits? If so what is she doing with the money, it should be there to pay you!

She's really taking the biscuit - paying you what she wants when she wants and you've let her (sorry, not meaning to sound harsh but you need to wake up and stop letting her take you for a ride!)

I'd ring and say you want this week's money plus £10 (or whatever you decide) off the arrears at drop off tomorrow (cash not paypal) or you won't be able to take the child. Then arrange a meeting where you decide what she has to pay off the arrears each week, get her to sign the agreement and then see how things go from there.

Good luck
    Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly how you fell. Mum of my mindee was always late. She didnt pay me full amount on extra work. I spoke with her couple of times and ... at the end of this I gave her notice and found someone who appreciates my work.

Feb 01
    Post Thanks / Like

DONE IT I phoned her and said I need full payment of what she owes before she can bring him back, she came up with more excuses- had to pay MOT on car, inheritance money still not come through!!! but I was strong and stood my ground, so will see how long it takes her to pay

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done and fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cara1235 View Post
    DONE IT I phoned her and said I need full payment of what she owes before she can bring him back, she came up with more excuses- had to pay MOT on car, inheritance money still not come through!!! but I was strong and stood my ground, so will see how long it takes her to pay
    Well done!

Hope she realises you mean it and pays up.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

personally i wouldnt have let it get to this stage
    Ask for fees in advance
    and u have the right to cease minding her child, this should all be in your policies,
    sorry but she is taking advantage of your service,
    i personally when she next drops him off say to her, her outstanding fees need to be paid otherwise u will no longer be able to mind her child,
    i know its hard & im a bit about asking parents for money, but its your business,