Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging whilst at nursery

Hi

I have a new parent starting in September. One of the children will be in nursery part time either morning or afternoon. How do I word why I need to charge if I am an emergency contact.

Do I say I need to charge incase I am called or what ? Just wondering incase parent says I should only charge if I am called to collect child early for whatever reason.

Hope that makes sense not very good at explaining myself on here !!!

may 98
    Post Thanks / Like

hi.....i charge a full day rate because you cannot unless u are extremely lucky able to fill that space for the child at nursery!! they are taking up a registered space so therefore you cant fill it ifswim???

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by claire bear 72 View Post
    hi.....i charge a full day rate because you cannot unless u are extremely lucky able to fill that space for the child at nursery!! they are taking up a registered space so therefore you cant fill it ifswim???
    So if I say if they need me as an emergency contact I need to charge full day as I am unable to fill space because I need to be available if anything happens to nursery child etc ?

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you charge full fees when at nursery or give a discounted rate if emergency contact? My income for this child and sibling will be a lot and with my other mindees I will be earning more than double that I am earning at the moment the amount of money is scary , although I know every penny will be earnt through activities, days out, food transport etc. Plus will mean that I can buy new resources for my settings that everyone will benefit from x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would advise that you DON'T tell parents you are the emergency contact. The only time you are likely to be contacted is if the child is ill, in which case it should the patents who collect, not you. You should not have an ill child in your care.

I tell parents that I offer a space from 8.30am-5.30pm (or whatever the hours are) and that if they want their child to go to nursery within that time, I am prepared to drop them off and collect them, but that they still need to pay me for the day. I also explain that as they are paying or the whole day it is available for them during holidays or on days when the nursery is closed.

If they don't like the idea of paying while the child is at nursery I explain that the only other option is for them to collect the child from me and take them to nursery themselves, and then collect the child after nursery and bring them back to me. I don't offer a nursery collection and drop off service unless the child is contracted to me for a whole day. Similarly, the child will not have a place saved during holidays for nursery hours, so parents would need to arrange for the child to go elsewhere for the times they would normally be at nursery.

They normally come round to m way of thinking!

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fees,but don't put myself down as emergency contact.....they pay full fees as I can't fill place

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha Twitchit View Post
    I charge full fees,but don't put myself down as emergency contact.....they pay full fees as I can't fill place
    me too! I'm not prepared to lose a full time place money, they will still need me in the hols etc, so they have to pay for the space.
    Francine X

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had one child who went to pre school and I didn't charge for. I won't be making that mistake again!!!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day, the way I see it, it is your business and your fees. If a parent asks what your rates are and you tell them you shouldn't need to justify yourself... she wouldn't go to McDonalds and ask why she has to pay the same price for a burger because she asked for it without salad!

If she does ask why she is paying explain... I will be taking and collecting LO, and you will want care for the whole day during the holidays and those are my fees.

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Think I'm scared because parent coming from another cm who can no longer have children as other side of town and I don't know what they charge at the moment . A friend thinks they charge less than me. think I'm in 2 minds because I have to go to nursery anyway in the morning as need to drop other children and sibling off at school but will need to go out of way to collect child from nursery. Will complete a letter with all fees and see what parents say . I have offered discount for sibling who will attend school and money still good because of hours . Thanks again . This is the part I hate. I know it's my business etc I just think I couldn't afford it how will they even though I know they'll probably get tax credits etc. I need to be strong . I know I can't have an ill child I was just thinking I could collect child till parent reaches me as they don't drive which could take awhile to get to nursery . Thanks for advice again x

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

If you feel uneasy about charging full fee while mindee is in nursery you could offer to charge 1/2 fee as a gesture of good will/compromise and say that would also hold place in school holidays.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am never the emergency contact for school, nursery or pre-school. This is because I would not be able to collect a sick or injured child and bring them into my setting.

The reason I charge when a child is at pre school is because I couldn't fill the part time space around the child and if the parent wants the space in the holidays I can fill it.

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Right to make me feel better - wont mention emergency care like you all say I can't have a sick child in my care. So giving a discounted rate whilst at nursery ( I'm still earning enough money that I'm happy with) and will explain to parent it's because I can't fill the space whilst child is at nursery and that it covers a space for school holidays but that during holidays full fees will apply. Thanks everyone. Parent did say money wasn't a problem ( think she means charge what I need) but don't want to be too much diff to other cm they are currently with iyswim . Thanks again x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by It's a small world View Post
    Right to make me feel better - wont mention emergency care like you all say I can't have a sick child in my care. So giving a discounted rate whilst at nursery ( I'm still earning enough money that I'm happy with) and will explain to parent it's because I can't fill the space whilst child is at nursery and that it covers a space for school holidays but that during holidays full fees will apply. Thanks everyone. Parent did say money wasn't a problem ( think she means charge what I need) but don't want to be too much diff to other cm they are currently with iyswim . Thanks again x
    I don't give a discounted rate nor do any of the cms I know, don't under cut yourself. What happens if you have several los at pre school at the same time?

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I don't give a discounted rate nor do any of the cms I know, don't under cut yourself. What happens if you have several los at pre school at the same time?
    Good poInt . Ok full fees and see what she says x

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Always go in high. If you don't ask you don't get. If after discussing this with them and full fees are a problem for them, then you can always negotiate. But only as far as the minimum you would be happy to take.

I also wouldn't compare yourself to the other minder. She may charge less than you but she can no longer provide the service they need.

It's hard sometimes when we need the business and the parents seem so nice etc. However having sold myself short in the past I learnt my lesson, and then subsequently having a contract that was tricky and naming my price and getting it, it has given me the confidence not to undercharge again

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jo f View Post
    I have had one child who went to pre school and I didn't charge for. I won't be making that mistake again!!!
    i too wont be making this mistake again, being a newbie and not really thinking it through, i am now in the position where i cant fill the space while child is at pre-school 9-3 everyday, so i would certainly recomend charging while the childs at preschool or nursery in future i will charge at least 50% of the hourly rate while they are in other childcare!

Rachel

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jo f View Post
    i too wont be making this mistake again, being a newbie and not really thinking it through, i am now in the position where i cant fill the space while child is at pre-school 9-3 everyday, so i would certainly recomend charging while the childs at preschool or nursery in future i will charge at least 50% of the hourly rate while they are in other childcare!

Rachel

June 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full days fee if a child is at nursery am or pm simply because they are taking up a full day place, as it would be highly unlikely another parent would want the other half of that day. All my parents so far have been happy to agree with this.