First parents, confused !
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First parents, confused !

My plan was always to have 1 preschooler and charge 35£ a day, however my first parent conversation (and to be honest would suit both of us perfectly) was a 1yr old a 6yr and an 8yr old full time and all year......now i understand there normally is a discount for siblings.....how how would you guys charge for this? and before/after school and school holiday fees? Really confused!!
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Tracey x

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont do sibling discount as they're still taking up a space !
    As for fees ask around your area as to what others charge because it can vary so much
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. They're still taking up a space even if siblings, maybe reduce the oldest one by a bit but not too much. Don't underestimate how much 6 and 8 year olds eat either!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to offer a discount but no longer do. No one recently has asked about it since I stopped advertising it.

It is normally difficult for parents of siblings to find spaces all in one setting so providing that there are not loads of vacancies with other minders then she may not have much option anyway. If you did decide that you wanted to offer a discount then only offer on the eldest and only when both other siblings are also in attendance. If this is pretty much perfect for you then you need to weigh up offering a slight discount or loosing the siblings to someone who will if there are loads of vacancies in your area.

Good luck
    Last edited by tulip0803; 17-01-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was me I would offer 10-20% discount on the oldest child simply because you only wanted to take on 1 under 5 and the 8 yr old doesn't effect your numbers. Make sure you either get payment in advance or a deposit as the income from these 3 will be a lot to lose in one go x
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Post Thanks / Like

I usually do a discount but I am trying not to do it

If you want my advice start the way you mean to go on and charge the full amount - you deserve it

Angel xx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't offer a discount on siblings either. If I was desperate for the work then I might, but it would be a token discount really. Make sure you are clear that the discount (if you offer one) is for the eldest child, and only when all 3 kids are in your care at the same time. Do not offer the discount on the youngest child or you may be stuck with a discounted rate when the eldest moves on.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll no discount, hadn't thought it through properly but there not going to eat any less or cost any less and will take a space up, the other thing I was worried about is how to sort the fees out for before and after school then holiday care..... Do I divide it so its equal over the year or charge month in advance as it happens and result in her having a big bill in the summer? What do you do?
    thanks, Tracey xx

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I literally work out each invoice each month but sometimes I do think it would be nice to work it out over the year and just charge the same each month. Why don't you write all the different figure options down and see what you think? If you don't mind either way, ask Mum what she would prefer? I would imagine having it the same all year would be easier to budget for than needing to find a large sum in the school holidays?

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have siblings one in Nursery and one in Reception and one other brother/sister. I only give a sibling discount in the school holidays for the oldest, which is 20% but its because this works out fine for me. I have set my rates where I want them based on Term time so it works out fine for me in holidays to. They are both part time.

But definately do work out what works for you. In the holidays the kids go through loads of food so big reason not to offer a discount.

Hope it works out.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't give a sibling discount - the 8 year old I look after eats more than me!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge mine by the month working out how many hours they are going to be with me and charging accordingly. Am friends with another CM who charges a set amount each month to a set of parents and is now wishing she hadn't as the agreement was for 12 months within which period she upped her hourly rate but felt she couldn't revise the monthly fee so tread carefully. If you want to do it ask the parent which they would prefer, then when Ofsted ask you about taking feedback from parents you've already got an example sorry inspection was thursday with a bit of a battleaxe Mrs O

Good luck

Sam

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past I have used 2 different childminders.

The 1st only looked after my eldest for about 3 1/2years 3 days a week. She charged £2.50 an hour and I paid for the actual hours I used monthly.

The 2nd I used when I returned to work after the birth of my daughter when she was 8months old. I had 2 different contracts the 1st for my son was term time only and I paid in advance for the days I was due to use her for the hours we had agreed. She took him to and from school daily for me. The 2nd contract was for my daughter I paid for 47 weeks a year (didn't pay for 5 weeks childminders holiday) divided equally between 12 months. I continued to pay this when she started nursery and she would drop her and collect her from nursery when it was needed. I paid £4 an hour for each of them. Her contract would have changed last September, had I not been made redundant, to the same has her brothers as she is now at school. We didn't need school holiday child care as both hubby and I are teachers

Hope this helps.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont give a sibling discount and certainly not for schoolies of that age as i find them harder work and as mentioned they eat loads