Do you charge for nursery hours?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you charge for nursery hours?

I have a little girl who is starting nursery in January. She is morning so 9am-11.30am. In that time I will have to drop her off, come home with my 2, hang about really till half 11 till I pick her up. My own son then starts nursery at 12.45pm so my day is going to be really chopped up.

Her mum and I haven't really discussed what I will charge for the nursery hours (her mum is training for a new job this week so I think I will now have her before and after nursery everyday but can't be sure).

I have always given parents the choice but said if they pay me I am the childs emergency contact etc, but if not then it is not my responsibility to have them when the nursery is off (although I always do and just charge for extra individual hours).

I feel like I should at least charge half fees though. It's not a lot of time and I am basically on call till she is out at half 11.

What do you all do?

Post Thanks / Like

I charge my usual fees - I only have so many under 5 places, the child is taking up one of them and I can't get anyone else for the few hours the child is at nursery.

Just a thought but would it be possible to swop your child's or the mindees nursery sessions so they both go at the same time otherwise it looks like you will spend your day running between home and nursery.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If we take and pick up and have them during the holiday then it is full pay. You can't fill the space and it is a lot of running around

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any nursery children yet but if/when I do then I fully intend to charge normal fees during nursery hours if I'm expected to do the drop off and pick up.

If I was only doing one of the drop offs/pick ups then I wouldn't charge while the child was at nursery.

Post Thanks / Like

I also charge whilst a child is at nursery. If I take and collect I charge in full, if I only take or collect but am required to keep a space available in the holidays I charge half as I can't take anyone else on if the space is needed in the hols.

I agree with Miffy, could you change either your son or the mindee so that they both go to nursery at the same time?

Also if mindee is over 3 the parent will be getting nursery funded, so won't be having to pay both you and nursery!!!

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge full fees for the hours the child was at nursery also.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also charge

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3pm pick ups at 2 different schools at it is, so am a bit glad this girl is the morning as she is at a different place to either school I'm at now. I couldn't do that many staggered pick ups for the one time lol!

I don't want to change my son either really, as he has made friends.

I suppose I feel slightly bad, that they are receiving 15 hours free childcare but still have to pay another childcare provider even though their child isn't there. I think I'll suggest half fees. Thanks all

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I charge full fee too

Cx

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

you have every right to charge full fees because those hours that the child is at nursery cant be filled so they are still taking up a full time place

Post Thanks / Like

But is it the parents financial responsibility that i can't fill the place? If I said to a parent "if you only want me monday-thurs then u have to pay me friday too now because I've been unable to fill the space" I dont think thats right. And I kind of think the same about charging for nursery? Like, maybe why should the parent just because *I* dont want a gap in my earnings. I either take the contract or choose not to. I dont know.

Hmm Im not explaining it greatly but I know what I mean

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

It is such a short space of time... If you feel uncomfortable charging for the full hours, then charge one hour for drop off and one hour for collection to recoup some money.

I still charge my normal fee and parent was perfectly happy with... she also pays for nursery as well as Mindee is not yet 3

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

As under 5 spaces are so important to our income I only take full days or not at all, I take one LO to and from nursery if parents want, but I still charge for the space.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Childminder8608 View Post
    But is it the parents financial responsibility that i can't fill the place? If I said to a parent "if you only want me monday-thurs then u have to pay me friday too now because I've been unable to fill the space" I dont think thats right. And I kind of think the same about charging for nursery? Like, maybe why should the parent just because *I* dont want a gap in my earnings. I either take the contract or choose not to. I dont know.

It is the parent's choice to send them to nursery though and I don't see why that should have an effect on your earnings especially if they need you in holidays and to take and pick up the child from nursery. You only have so many spaces available and you need each of them to provide you with an income (well, I do) so if parents need the space even some of the time then I would charge.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

From reading this I understand that the parent is changing their hours and adding in a nursery run so it is not that you are suddenly demanding pay for an extra day, you are accommodating their request whilst still earning a living. If you can afford not to charge and don't mind the extra running about then dont.
    I take 3 of mine to nursery and can't afford to lose those hours so if I take and collect I charge, if i just take or just collect I dont.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always charged full fee if I take a child to pre-school and collect. It has never been a problem because they aren't paying for pre-school. I only have 3 under five places and would not be able to fill a 3hr slot in the middle of the day term time only.

I am never emergency contact ether because I can't go and collect a sick child and bring them into my setting. If they are ill enough to be collected then they are too ill to come to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I collect a boy from nursery and agreed a price from that time to when he is picked up but this boy is taken to the nursery by his mum in the morning. If he was dropped off at my home for me to take to the nursery then I would be charging for the whole day but ultimately it is doing what you feel most comfortable doing/charging.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Well in a word... Yes. They dont want to "use" your service for 3 hours of the day when a child is at nursery, but they will expect you to be free for them 3 hours therefore they want those 3 hours they should pay for them!

If it is a whole day then that is different because you are not contracted on the THAT day, however you are contracted on the day that the child is at nursery... If you dont feel comfortable charging them charge them a half fee retainer.

Post Thanks / Like

If the parent needs you to have lo in the holiday you CAN'T fill the space unless you find a child that needs those exact hours (actually slightly less so there is no overlap) as you need to keep it available for that child in the holidays!

If parent wants to send lo to nursery but not pay you could she send her on a day you don't have her??

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

If I drop off and collect then I charge half fees the 2.5 hours at nursery. I will be emergency contact but parent would rush home for sick child anyway. It depends how many hours they are using as well though to make it worth the while.

If heating broken at nursery or sent home any other reason i would simply top up these 2.5 hours to normal fee - works for me!

I too do not think its parents fault i cant fill the space they dont force me to be emergency contact and in my retail job im used to if i dont work i dont get paid

If things are quiet work wise I cant be too choosy and sometimes its the little things that swing things your way
    XX Jill XX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast