Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Long Holiday

Registered Childminder since
    June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Holiday

One of my full time parents announced this morning that their going away at the end of dec and coming back beginning of feb. I usually charge half fee for time off but obviously this is quite a bit of time. Would you still charge the half fee or a bit less just to hold the place open.
    Knowledge is power and its also tax free

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if I'd be in the minority but you have bills to pay, does this parent use many hours? I'm sure they must have considered their childcare arrangements. Many childminders could not afford to have no fee for a whole month. If they still want to have the place when they return, I'm sure they will understand.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I say half fee for up to 4 weeks per year. If they want the space when they come back I would do it half fee for 4 weeks max and if it goes over that they'll have to pay full price. I can't afford to have a place empty for that long.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Duh, sorry! of course they use many hours, you said they are full time!!

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fees for parents holidays - it would depend what you have agreed in your contract. I have a family going to India for 6 weeks I have charged full fees minus my christmas holidays as I don't get paid if I don't work.
    CWR

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

All my parents pay full fees for their holidays so that would be the case for me with this couple.

I also require 4 weeks written notice of holiday so these parents haven't given this in which case if you have 4 weeks notice of holidays in your contract then they would have to pay full fee because they haven't give the 4 weeks notice.

It depends on what you have in your Contracts. If you have half fee for parents holiday then that is what they pay if they go on holiday and if you haven't restricted it to a certain number of weeks then it must apply to any holiday they take, however long.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 06-12-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    I say half fee for up to 4 weeks per year. If they want the space when they come back I would do it half fee for 4 weeks max and if it goes over that they'll have to pay full price. I can't afford to have a place empty for that long.
    Same here, they can only have 4wks at half pay per year then they have to pay full!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also charge what you normally charge for holidays for the whole term xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i had parents go away for a month in September. I don't offer half fee for their hols and they never asked. I still need to pay the bills.

Do you allow them a max no. of half fee weeks? If so, stick to that hon, anything over is full fee.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever your policy is for holidays go with that. I have one family who pay full for their hols and nothing for mine and another family who I only have term time so pay a half fee retainer for their place.

I wouldn't make any allowances if you do it once they will expect it in the future, they know your policies. This is your business, not a charity x

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a maximum limit on the half fees in the contract so will charge that. I might need to review that the next time I do contracts and charge full fee over a certain amount of time.
    Knowledge is power and its also tax free

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fees for parents holidays/illnesses etc and if they wanted the space guarenteed on their return they should choose to pay it I guess.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rayberrys View Post
    I charge full fees for parents holidays/illnesses etc and if they wanted the space guarenteed on their return they should choose to pay it I guess.
    Same here
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing