Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice about non-payer

Hi, just wanted to see what you all thought about my dilemma. I minded a little girl from September 2010 until July this year, then after the summer holidays I've been having her & her 2 brothers before & after school. I issue my invoices at the beginning of the month, they're always handed out by the 4th, and they're given 7 days to pay. The latest bill for this family is still unpaid! This is the 4th occasion since April, and they're only here in term time! It's also become very disruptive with the boys, they're always fighting, I've had furniture broken (not necessarily just by them, but since they've been here) and tea times are chaos.

This month I'm now overdrawn. I had a conversation with dad where he said he would remind her. Other times I've sent a text, but this time I don't see why I should keep chasing it. It annoys me so much that people think I have enough money to feed my kids without being paid, and they still turn up with their children, who get a cooked meal here too. I'm at the point now where I don't want the stress, despite the drop in income if I give notice. My payment terms say within 7 days or pay £5 a day for late payments - I have charged someone this before, and she paid it. But I know it's not necessarily enforcible, despite being in my contracts and policies.

So.... they're due here again Thursday, I want to issue a new invoice with the £5 a day added, and serve notice. The contracts say I can terminate immediately for recurring non-payment, but I thought it'd only be fair to keep them until the Christmas holidays so she can make alternative arrangements. What do you think? I feel awful doing it, they live behind me and I know them quite well, but the stress of checking my bank every day, and watching my furniture get jumped on, etc, it's just not worth the hassle. In the notice, would it be better to use the reason of recurring non-payment, and quote from the contract? I hate this... had to do it this time last year too, for a child who was thieving and her mother was another non-payer! I do pick 'em!!

Thanks for any advice or comments.....xx

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a non paying parent who was a pain I gave out bill as you have done
    It got to the point where she was over due with money so I charged her a late fee and asked her to provide packed lunches for her child when she questioned me over this I said I dont have funds to feed your child until you pay me as I budget for all meals in plan for the month
    The parent was also term time so I asked for weekly payments instead of monthly
    As for breaking furniture or equipment I would bill her for that
    hope this helps you
    good luck
    If its really making you feel stressed get rid this job can be really tough on its own with out chasing for money

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Its just my opinion but i think i would issue new invoice get it paid and then terminate, otherwise they might leave immediately and just not pay you.

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not feel obliged to work up until christmas if they were choosing not to pay me for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try and sort out the money side first before giving notice. Get fees paid up to date and alter payment arrangement to weekly not monthly then issue notice.

If the parent can't be bothered to pay you when they need you they are not likely to pay up once you've given notice. The only other option is to cut your losses and get rid knowing that you probably won't see another penny unless you take it through the courts.

Perhaps you could ring your insurers and see what they advise.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if it were me hon. i would phone tonight and say you will provide no further care until payments are up to date and you will be adding your late payment fee daily until it is paid. Make sure to tell her you are overdrawn due to them and that you hate charging late fees but this will cover your overdraft incurred.

Tell her this will happen each time payment is late in future as you feel you have already been very flexible. Then put this in writing and give them a copy and one for your file
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you do decide to keep them on your books do it on your terms -

Ask them in for contract review and discuss payment in advance

Work on the behaviour issues with the boys together

discuss how tea times can be improved

Good luck xx

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all the replies, it really helps just to know others understand and acknowledge that we work hard and have to deal with difficult situations like this. So many people seem to think we sit at home watching tv! In fact the dad of my oldest child said last week, when I told him I'd managed to get a really good deal on a work phone... "but you don't work for anyone"! Hmmm. I do... myself! lol. He meant I don't have a "proper" job!

Anyway, I am just about to do their new invoice, adding 2 weeks worth of late payment fees. I hate this, I dread them doing the drop off tomorrow, it's making me feel ill! But anyway, it's got to be done, and I survived the last one. I'm going to give notice, quote the contract, and say that I can terminate immediately but will provide the full 4 weeks notice if the outstanding fees are paid in full by Friday. If no money is received, the contract ends Friday. As I arrived home from the school run today, a mum from the school had text me to ask if I could have her 2 under 5s 2 days a week, and her older child after school. One door closes, etc....

I know I'll feel happier once tomorrow is over, I'll let you know the reaction. Thanks again

xx

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll feel better just making the decision and I'm so pleased another door is opening for you so good luck with that.

Sending lots of positive vibes for tomorrow - chin up, you can do it!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I did it!! I did a new invoice that included the late payment fees for 2 weeks, and also a covering letter explaining why I'd had to do a new one, and also giving notice. Dad arrived to collect, I've felt physically sick every time I've thought about it today, but as they went to leave I handed him the envelope & said it was a letter about the late fees. That was just before 6pm, and I've heard nothing since!!

They're due to be dropped off tomorrow morning - awkward I've given them until the end of tomorrow to pay in full, otherwise the contract is terminated immediately. If they do pay up, I've agreed to work the notice, up to Christmas.

I feel terrible, not sure why though!! But hopefully they'll understand that it's not my fault, they should've paid, and when I ended up overdrawn, that was the last straw. It's just the not knowing what they'll do. I really don't like this part of the job

Thanks though for replying, it's very isolating when these kind of things happen, so it's good to be able to come here and talk to "colleagues", lol. xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Done for sticking to your guns. It isn't easy.

Let us know what happens tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you today and hope things go OK if the children are dropped off.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Well they were dropped off a little bit late, which had me thinking that they weren't coming! Dad was his usual self, and handed me an envelope from mum. Inside was a cheque for October and part payment towards November, and also a letter that nearly made me cry. She was very apologetic, her course is stressing her, etc - I can completely understand all of that, and do sympathise, I don't want to add to the stress either, but that isn't my problem or a good enough reason to put my family under pressure financially. I'm going to stick to my guns though & explain that if I withdraw the notice now, it's going to be more of a problem in future if I need to terminate the contract. I feel relieved, so don't want to have to go through the same again.

I do still feel awful though, for all of them, but I suppose we have to be professional & pretend they're not our friends while we're dealing with issues like this. I'm going to Stratford upon Avon this weekend, it's my partner's birthday and we're having a very very rare 2 days without any of our kids....so I'm going to enjoy that and not worry about the bad bits of the job. Next week it'll be fine
    xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

glad that you got the money hon. enjoy your weekend xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done. Hope it all went well for you. It never fails to amaze me that parents can mess us around with fees. We provide a service that enables them to got to work and earn their wages. I had a persistant late payer last year and ended up having to terminate her contract. Her fees were about £300 a month and when she had run up a bill of nearly £700 i had no option but to terminate her contract. I got my fees before i gave her notice though! I now insist on being paid in advance for the month ahead. I can't believe that parents don't always see their fees as an important part of their household budget. I'm sure they wouldn't go to the supermarket and say 'I'll pay next time'!