Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Question fees whilst at pre-school??

hi everyone

i am pre-reg at the moment but typing up RA's, contracts and p&p's.

i'm stuck on a few things about fees, whilst the mindee is at pre-school eg if i'm asked to have them 3 days a week for 3 hours per day ( thinking of charging min of 6 hours per session, but this would mean mum is paying for me for the 6 hours plus pre-school??)

also am i being fair to charge for 48 weeks per year at 6 hours minimum on the days i mind for them (so the days they have agreed in advance e.g mindee A has mon,tues,wed and Mindee B had Wed, Thursday not all 5???)

my basic rate is £3.50 inc meal + nappies/formula

mind boggling or what?!??!?!?!!

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's entirely up to you how & what you charge for. If you can speak to other minders locally, it's worth talking to them about what is 'normal' for your area, as it does vary greatly. Price, what's included etc...

Where we are we charge £4 per hour. We don't provide any meals, parents send a packed lunch. We don't charge if we're on holiday, and take 4 weeks per year, so parents pay for the other 48 weeks, whether they are on holiday/sick/etc... We go out & about, and provide snacks. We charge whilst the children are at playschool too, but we drop-off & collect. We're currently full!

But I know childminders who charge 52 weeks - so get paid for holidays. Others provide all meals etc, others provide nappies & formula too.

You have to be happy with what you are charging though, as once you get going, it's difficult to change it until mindees leave.

Remember, you're your own boss - so you make the rules!

xx

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I also just logged on to ask this same question!

I have a little one starting Mon-Fri 9am to 3pm (perfect for me- so happy!)

This means she will be dropped straight after my school run and picked up again just before

Anyway... From Feb she will start preschool two mornings a week. Mum will drop her off there instead of at mine and then i'll collect at 12.

I was thinking of charging half fee as im not actually having her but then realised that if she falls poorly or there is a problem I will have to collect her early as mum and dad will be working. Technically she is still counted in my ratio and I am on standby so can't go too far etc.

I think it is fair to charge full pay during this time as she will be paying for the place. Does this sound fair?

Lottie x

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ladp View Post
    hi everyone

i am pre-reg at the moment but typing up RA's, contracts and p&p's.

i'm stuck on a few things about fees, whilst the mindee is at pre-school eg if i'm asked to have them 3 days a week for 3 hours per day ( thinking of charging min of 6 hours per session, but this would mean mum is paying for me for the 6 hours plus pre-school??)

also am i being fair to charge for 48 weeks per year at 6 hours minimum on the days i mind for them (so the days they have agreed in advance e.g mindee A has mon,tues,wed and Mindee B had Wed, Thursday not all 5???)

my basic rate is £3.50 inc meal + nappies/formula

mind boggling or what?!??!?!?!!
    I haven't heard of childminders charging a min. of 6 hours per session. I only charge the hours that children are here. I think for a lot of people at the moment money is tight and if they are paying for double the hours they themselves are working for some it would not be worth them working at all.
    If people stop work because they can't afford childcare it then has a knock on effect on cm's

It would be fair however to charge the 3 hours you have the child plus the 3 hours they are at preschool because if you are counting that child in ratio (incase of emergency) then you have a right to charge the parent to reserve that place.

Technically they are paying for your min. 6 hours then anyway.

Lottie x
    Last edited by lottieslittlelambs; 03-11-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge whilst at nursery, I charge £4.50 per hour and £5.00 if less than 10 hours per week, charge £1.00 per meal, don't charge for my hols/ bank hols etc my friend gets 1 week paid hol and bank hols so it's whatever you feel is right for your business

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge because I would be needed for holidays, emergency closures, sickness etc...
    Debbie

APR 96
    Post Thanks / Like

I recentley lost a child because she was starting pre school and mum didnt want to pay me petrol for droping off/picking up and only wanted to charge me for exact time I had her having spoken to other childminders in my area they said she was totally unreasonable and I was in my own right to charge her for pre school hours she was on a good thing with me

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I charge because I would be needed for holidays, emergency closures, sickness etc...
    Same here

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lottieslittlelambs View Post
    I haven't heard of childminders charging a min. of 6 hours per session. I only charge the hours that children are here. I think for a lot of people at the moment money is tight and if they are paying for double the hours they themselves are working for some it would not be worth them working at all.
    If people stop work because they can't afford childcare it then has a knock on effect on cm's

It would be fair however to charge the 3 hours you have the child plus the 3 hours they are at preschool because if you are counting that child in ratio (incase of emergency) then you have a right to charge the parent to reserve that place.

Technically they are paying for your min. 6 hours then anyway.

Lottie x
    Hi Lottie when i say charging a min of 6 hours i mean on the days whilst they are at pre-school so 3 hours working and 3 hours holding their place 'open' hope this makes sense

thanks for the help guys

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one who currently comes 2 full days but starts pre school soon so i am having him 4 afternoons instead - pick up from pre school. Spoke to Mum and said if she wanted his hours to be 12-5:30 all year round that was fine but if she needed extra in hols she would need to pay a retainer to hold the sessions he is at pre school. She said she couldnt afford that so wanted to keep 12-5:30 contracted hours and then book ad hoc hours in the hols if they were available. i said that was fine with me as long as she knows there might not be a place but she would still have the pm session.
    Well xmas hols will be first hols since hours changes. My booking forms went out for the xmas hols at half term and hers is only one I havent had back. There is am session that has been booked by someone else now and so she won't be able to have it. She hasn't said anything yet but I will be interested to hear her response when she realises she was too late! i am actually pleased it has happened so early on as she will now realise she has to be quick if she wants the space on an ad hoc basis.

May 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge only for the hours that I have the children, as mentioned earlier though I do tell the parents that there is not a guaranteed place there if they need me out of those hours. I will have them if there is space and just charge per hour. Anything to keep the places filled. I don't charge when I am away but I do charge full when the parents/carers are away. Does anyone charge extra for collections and drop off's?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge extra but I do charge from 12 when the pre school finishes at 12:15 to give me time to get there. I walk though.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ladp View Post
    Hi Lottie when i say charging a min of 6 hours i mean on the days whilst they are at pre-school so 3 hours working and 3 hours holding their place 'open' hope this makes sense

thanks for the help guys
    Ah yeh this makes sense! Thought you meant 6hrs plus preschool

lol xx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

was interested to read all the comments as I have a full timer who will be starting pre-school next april, his mum has already said she wants to drop him at mine at 8am as usual, I will then take him to pre-school for 9am and pick him up at 12.00 and care for him until 5pm, but I will be charging a full days fee regardless as I cant fill 3 odd hours per day in term time and also I will be contact for emergency closures and needed during school holidays, havent spoken to mum about this yet as I thought we had discussed it when child first started with me, it was only the other day after I had agreed to another childs placement in 2012 that mum pipped up `oh yes you will need the extra money as you will be losing A for 16 hours per week`
    Better start writing an update letter!!