Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to go about putting up fees

I started minding 3 years ago and I haven't put me fees up at all.

Was thinking of putting them up £2 day soon. The way I see it everything else has gone up.

I thought I would test the opinion on this. Is it the wrong time with the recession? Are other people putting theirs up? How much notice would you give?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You should have your policy written into your fees policy somewhere!

It should state how you will inform parents, what time scale you will give for changes, how much they will go up etc.

Parents should have at least a months' notice so they can change their bank payments / vouchers etc.

Bear in mind as well that if you put up less than £10 a week those on tax credits will be worse off because they won't be able to change their claim until next April... so you might like to talk it through with them first.

When you put up fees you are always risking that parents will leave you because you have become too expensive compared to whoever down the road or they might take the child off you one day a week because granny is free etc so do bear that in mind.

Hth

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't changed mine as all the other childminders charge the same as me, so it might be worth you asking round to see what they charge first, so you are not too expensive.

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I registered 5.5 yrs ago and started off at £4.25hr, I then put my fee's up to £4.50hr a year later but haven't done so since.
    This year I have decided to put my fee's up again.
    My policy states that I will review fee's once a year and that I will give parents 3 months notice of any increase.

On the 1st of September this year I wrote to all my parents and said I would be increasing my fee's to £4.80ph as of 1st April 2012 (7 months notice!).

All my parents have been fine about the increase and have said thank you for not putting fee's up over the last 4 years.
    Toothfairy

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for your replies.

Have asked around, there is split opinion half putting up fees the others not.

I have NCMA contracts, so terms of both parties are reviewed on a regular basis.Just havent put fees up before.

Didn't know that about tax credits though, so thanks for that information.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on your area and how busy you are.

I have had no mindees since March so I am not putting fees up! There is no demand around here - used to be but has totally evaporated.

My husband hasn't had pay rise for 4 years. A lot of people are just having to absorb the increased costs. I'd say it comes down to whether you think people will wear it or not.