HELP!! Got to ring mum back and not sure what to do or charge!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP!! Got to ring mum back and not sure what to do or charge!!

Hello all - just had an enquiry for a school pick up - its a bit of a weird one but bear with me.....!!!

I have spoken to this mum before - she is starting college soon and so needs her daughter picking up from her house at 8.15 and then taking to school at 8.50 one day a week - now I can sort of do this as I go to this school in a morning anyway but there wont be enough time to get back from girls house to my house and back to school again so would have to kill about half hour somehow!! I know that mum also has a baby who she may need care for in the future so dont want to cut my nose off and risk missing out on a potential mindee but is it fair on other mindees to be killing half hour before school....and also..what on earth would I charge!!! xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi not sure I would do this at all. Firstly would not want to kill time for half an hour even for one day a week. In winter it would be awful and I do not think it would be fair on the other mindees.

Secondly I would not want to commit to a picking up dropping off service as things change so much, what suits now may not suit in the future!

You say there may be chance of work with the baby though in the future but where does baby go now? Also would that only be for one day?

As for charging, maybe at least £20 to include pick up service, time minding and inconvenience.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it either. I wouldn't want to be hanging around with all the children when its cold. I would tell mum she needs to drop the child with you and if that means she has to leave earlier then so be it.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it hon. I would ask her to drop her to you as you have other mindees to consider.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does the little girl need picking up!! I wouldn't do this - what would happen if you took on another child - would you all have to hang around for 30 mins.
    CWR

Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I would do this neither as you have other mindees, good luck in what ever you decide

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi hun, i would not do this either, with the weather as it is it is just not fair on you or the other children, and she should really be dropping the girl off to you, i think she is just trying her luck with you and using the baby as a carrot, and yes where does the baby go now?

Good luck with what you decide hun x

Post Thanks / Like

No sorry I wouldn't do it either!!! I don't do pick ups as its not fair on the other mindees, plus what happens if your car breaks down, there is snow on the ground etc (sorry just re-read your thread, no mention of driving to pick child up, even more reason not to do it if you have to walk and hang around for half an hour especially when its pouring down ). And certainly not just to pick up and take to school!! Plus I am guessing if she is at college you won't be needed during the holidays so won't make any money up then?? As for baby, as someone else asked, who looks after the baby at present

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    I wouldn't do it hon. I would ask her to drop her to you as you have other mindees to consider.
    I agree - what would happen if your other mindees were late arriving with you? Would their parents be happy that they were having to "kill" half an hour before school? What if it's chucking it down or freezing cold, hanging about wouldn't be much fun.

Honestly sounds more hassle than it's worth.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree - think i was a bit blinded by the fog of potentially getting a full time baby out of it (no enquiries at the moment so the thought was very appealing!!)

It turns out that mum wanted me to collect from hers at 8.20 and take to school at 8.40 (she lives next door to school!). I suggested she drop lo off with me at 8 and she could then have breakfast etc with the others. She didnt want to do this as it turns out......she only wanted me to do it to basically save her having to get up and ready etc!!!!

She was also quite surprised that I wouldnt be charging for 20 mins therefore charging about £1.15 for driving 4 miles to collect child and deliver to school

I have had the luckiest escape ever and now Ive got my sensible hat on I cant believe I even thought about it!! It was just the lure of the baby....she drew me in!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1! View Post
    I totally agree - think i was a bit blinded by the fog of potentially getting a full time baby out of it (no enquiries at the moment so the thought was very appealing!!)

It turns out that mum wanted me to collect from hers at 8.20 and take to school at 8.40 (she lives next door to school!). I suggested she drop lo off with me at 8 and she could then have breakfast etc with the others. She didnt want to do this as it turns out......she only wanted me to do it to basically save her having to get up and ready etc!!!!

She was also quite surprised that I wouldnt be charging for 20 mins therefore charging about £1.15 for driving 4 miles to collect child and deliver to school

I have had the luckiest escape ever and now Ive got my sensible hat on I cant believe I even thought about it!! It was just the lure of the baby....she drew me in!
    Hilarious! Just how lazy can you get!

You have definitely had a lucky escape!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

Think you made the right decision there Hope something better comes along soon!!!

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to watch out for those babies lol they do cloud your judgement

Thats past lazy is it not.

O well at least you can laugh now
    XX Jill XX

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG...... what a caring mum!!!!!

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I have now reached the point in my minding career where NOTHING surprises me!!!