Emergency cover for social services... fees ?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Emergency cover for social services... fees ?

Hi, I received a phone call from social services tonight (5.15pm) asking for 4 full days emergency cover for an 11 yr old. starting at 8.15am tomorrow (short notice). This child has been excluded from school so will be with me during the day.

I've only been registered since january, so this is new to me.

My question is what to charge ? My standard hourly rate is £3.50. However, given the short notice etc - what would anyone else charge ? I have to send an invoice after the 4 days care has finished.

Hope you can help !?

Thank you.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, where I am they tell us what they are paying. Are you expected to feed child? I would send invoice for hours required, food and entertainment. Good luck, a child excluded from school and not allowed to stay at home might well be a bit of a handful :/
    Deb X

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

when I work with ss they usually pay more per hour for emergency or other work. I would charge a bit more as ss will be paying but call them and ask hon
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done some short notice work for social services and charge them £5.00 per hour (normally charge £3.20 per hour).

My development officer told me to charge more and suggested this amount because they are taking a space you can't fill (although I know this doesn't apply to an 11 year old) and you don't get notice or anything so this compensates for that.

When they enquired the first time I quoted £5.00 per hour and they were quite happy to pay that and have done so on the two subsequent times I have provided care.

I filled out a short-term contract (NCMA) as you don't need to go into all the details on a regular contract.

Hope you get on okay.
    Cazz x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge time and a half

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HopscotchCaren View Post
    Hi, I received a phone call from social services tonight (5.15pm) asking for 4 full days emergency cover for an 11 yr old. starting at 8.15am tomorrow (short notice). This child has been excluded from school so will be with me during the day.

I've only been registered since january, so this is new to me.

My question is what to charge ? My standard hourly rate is £3.50. However, given the short notice etc - what would anyone else charge ? I have to send an invoice after the 4 days care has finished.

Hope you can help !?

Thank you.
    Hope its going ok for your today

Not sure what you decided in the end

Good luck

Angel xx

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

how would you go about providing care for such as ss? xx

Jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlie potato View Post
    how would you go about providing care for such as ss? xx
    It was as a result of being registered on the FIS (family information services) website. My local authority sent me a form to complete detailing my terms of care etc, so once they had that, it was input on the FIS site and then on their database.

They tried a couple before me, but they have other children, and I don't at the moment.

Its gone ok for thurs/fri and shes back on mon/tues next week.

She is a really troubled girl and hates school, runs away, gets excluded, is currently in foster care, hates it there..... etc etc etc.

Anyway, I have decided to charge double time, based on the circumstances. I can't go out in case she runs away, she can't have anything deemed as a 'treat' otherwise she will try to get excluded over and over.

I'm just glad I haven't got any other mindees, just my own 2 kids.

Caren.

july 20
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the very same call! where are you?