Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mindee starting in August

Hi,

I live in Scotland and just looking for a bit of advise, I have had an enquiry for 2 children starting Aug 11, the thing is this is the first time I have had and enquiry for over a year as very quiet. I am not sure how to go about it and I don't want to put her off, but would most of you charge a retainer or say you will hold a place but if soemthing else comes along you have to take it.

Please help with this
    Shelly xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it for EY children? I wouldnt charge a retainer from now, but would get in touch with mum nearer the time and explain that if someone comes along in the meantime did she want me to contact her and offer her the chance to pay a retaining fee. You can give her the option I guess.
    Deb X

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would tell her that you really need to be earning now and August is a few months away. explain you would normally pay a retainer but at the moment no-one else wants the place. I would do this as, as you say there haven't had many enquiries and you don't want to put her off.

However, tell her that if in the meantime someone comes along wantign the space you would then you would have to charge a retainer of some sort as you would then be losing money.

In the meantime take a full month's deposit now non-refundable if she doesn't start.

Good luckx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the exact same scenario a mum came last week and is really keen for a place starting in August. I explained Id love to have her baby, BUT in an ideal world Id like the place filled sooner. I told her to get in touch in June and see if I still have the space and if I do ill then do contracts, take a deposit and start to do settling in sessions. Its too long off to take any kind of retainer/deposit now I feel.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've had same woman twice call me about August. I keep telling her it's too early but she isn't listening. I don't know what I'll be doing in August. She got uppity and virtually put the phone down. Don't think we'd hit it off anyway with that attitude!!