Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Contracts and payments

Hi All,

Wondered if you could help me, i am new to childminding and have a question about a child i have agreed to care for.

Ok so her mother (single parent) told me that child would be coming each morning for 2hrs before school which is fine, so i assumed we would be putting these hours on the contract (when it turns up) however she contacted me on sunhday night at 9pm to say her child would need to be collected from school this week as her shifts have changed! which is fine but what hours do i put on the contract i cant live on a week by week not knowing wat hours i will have her and not knowing if one week she will turn around and say she only needs me this week for 2days you know? i need a minimum hours per week agreed? cos at the min it feels as tho she is taking me for granted ??

please help

Max

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Contracts and payments

You should not really be working without a contract. However, you can agree in your contract to whatever booking and payment arrangements you like. If you are happy with the hours of care swapping from morning to afternoon, but just need to have a bit of notice, I'd suggest stating in your terms that you need a week's notice (for example) of the sessions required. If you don't mind when the sessions are, but need to guarantee a certain weekly income, you can specify a minimum fee per week in the notes section on page two of the NCMA contract. It is absolutely vital to make sure you work out what is acceptable to you, and then ensure the parent understands your terms and agrees to them, all properly documented in your contract. Otherwise you are setting yourself up to be messed about and to have disputes.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    Sounds like a stressful situation, of course you want to know whare you are from week to week.
    Either the parent doesn't understand what you've agreed to, or she's asking a one off favour to collect after school this week, Or she thinks you'll do wahtever, whenever at very short notice.
    I think you need to at least write down what you are doing and get it signed, whilst waiting for the 'proper' contract. It would still be evidence of contract: the verbal one between you, just put down on paper.

In your shoes, I'd call Mum and ask her to explain exactly what she is expecting, as you had thought you were agreeing to 2 hrs before school mon to fri etc. Then say you'll give the new arrangements some thought and get back to her. Decide what you're happy with and arrrange a meeting to make sure everyone understands your terms and conditions etc.

If she wants flexible hours, you'll probably want to charge extra as you wouldn't be able to give another child the space should you get an enquiry, and may lose out on quite a bit of income.

Good luck: hope it turns out well

bws,
    Wendy

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You could also just write out your own contract too: make sure each page is signed and dated and numbered: i.e.1 of 3 pages.. etc. do a carbon copy and keep the main one for you: give her the copy to take home

Not sure I'd want to work with this lady without things very clear and in writing...

bws,
    Wendy

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You should not be working without a sign Contract in your posession. You are uninsured and breaking the terms of your Registration with OFSTED by doing so.

Sorry to sound so harsh but yoou are putting yourself in a difficult position.
    Get mum in tonight with the contract and sort it out.

I never let the Contract out of the house until it is signed and I can give the copy to the parent.

Good luck.

jun10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I have a mum who is a carer in a care home. Her shifts change from week to week. I either collect from school and drop at home of an afternoon or drop at school. The way we have worked it, contract wise, is she agreed to pay for a full-time, schoolrun / holiday, place. I charge her for mon to fri schoolrun at both ends of the day and she just lets me know at weekend what next week's shifts are.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Debs