Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Collections & Drop off Fees HELP!

I have in my collecting and dropping off policy that I charge £1 per child per day for collecting/dropping off a child up to a 2 mile radius, however up until now, I have only been charging £1 per child per day, regardless of distance (soft touch)

With the vast increase in petrol I can no longer afford to do this. I have one parent who lives on the other side of town and it takes 6.2 miles there and back to collect the mindee. She used to drop him off to me every day but now insists that we collect him every morning. Just feels like she's taking it for granted as its cheaper for her then driving herself. If she got a taxi i'm sure the trip would cost about £6-£7!

I am trying to write a letter to parents explaining that I will be putting my policy into practice, charging up to a 2 mile radius OR raising my fee. I think this particular parent will get pinickity and start questioning milage, etc. I pick up her youngest child in the morning and then pick up her Daughter in the afternoon via another mindee's house. If I was to charge by the milage, would I go by the other mindees house, or from our house? After all if the other mindee was off sick, I would still have to collect her and the trip would be just as far. I don't know whether to charge 40p a mile like some do, or just set a price. I am also considering raising it to £1.50 per child per day. Do you think this is too expensive?

I just think with the fuel prices at a record high, I just can't afford to be traipsing across town after mindees every day, using up all our petrol. But I know 2 parents rely on that service as they would have no other way of getting the children to me.

Confused as to what to do. Can anyone offer any advice?

jumpinjen Guest

Default Re: Collections & Drop off Fees HELP!

Hmmm, tricky one, you could do the route and record the mileage for each of the different options that you do, then add it in individually to each families letter stating the mileage that you do and explaining that with rising costs you now need to enforce the policy that has always been in existence.

Do you start your hourly contracted fees from when you leave your house to pick up or from when the child gets in the car? When i did pick ups I charged from the time i drove off my drive to the time i got back on my drive after dropping at home (four hours although child in my care for three, as journey took half an hour each way). if you are driving 15 mins there before you charge them anything then you are undercutting yourself vastly!

perhaps let them choose.... option A, hourly fees to start from when you leave your home, then 40p a mile or option B a set fee for each journey. it is your time, wear and tear on your car as well as petrol costs remember!

perhaps work out what each will cost and see where you are then and how you feel about the prices.... perhaps if you want to just charge a set fee, and charge from when you leave your house, then letting them know how much it would be for 6.5 miles at 40p an hour would make them feel better about the increase!!

hugs, Jen x

Post Thanks / Like

I don't offer such a service but you need to at least cover your costs.

The parent you are bothered about could do the trip herself - she is just taking the easy (and it seems, cheaper) option atm. If she doesn't like your new pricing policy she could do the trip herself.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Collections & Drop off Fees HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjen View Post
    Hmmm, tricky one, you could do the route and record the mileage for each of the different options that you do, then add it in individually to each families letter stating the mileage that you do and explaining that with rising costs you now need to enforce the policy that has always been in existence.

Do you start your hourly contracted fees from when you leave your house to pick up or from when the child gets in the car? When i did pick ups I charged from the time i drove off my drive to the time i got back on my drive after dropping at home (four hours although child in my care for three, as journey took half an hour each way). if you are driving 15 mins there before you charge them anything then you are undercutting yourself vastly!

perhaps let them choose.... option A, hourly fees to start from when you leave your home, then 40p a mile or option B a set fee for each journey. it is your time, wear and tear on your car as well as petrol costs remember!

perhaps work out what each will cost and see where you are then and how you feel about the prices.... perhaps if you want to just charge a set fee, and charge from when you leave your house, then letting them know how much it would be for 6.5 miles at 40p an hour would make them feel better about the increase!!

hugs, Jen x
    Thanks Jen. You have talked a lot of sense and made me realise how much I am undercutting myself!

At present I don't charge from when I leave the house... Just from the contracted hours with the parent + £1 per day collection!!

I just worked out that I am undercutting myself roughly £4.80 per day just on this one parent's 2 kids! That's £24 a week! £96 A MONTH!! I really can't see the parent paying £3.50 per day per child though Am I being unfair in charging that much? Basically I've given her the following 3 options:

a) Hourly fees to start from the time we leave our house (8am for E and 12:00pm for K plus 40p per mile. (Works out £3.40)
    b) A set price which would be £3.50 per child, per day.
    c) Enforce the policy that has always been in existence; £1 per child, per day up to a 2 mile radius and then 40p per mile thereafter with hourly fee to start when we leave our house. (Which comes to £3.50)

I have also said that in the event the K is on the same journey as E (for example, if she comes to us instead of going to nursery one morning), then I will only charge her for one child.

It takes us an hour a day just collecting her 2 children. I only charge £3.75 per hour for childminding, so I still think she's gettng a pretty good deal considering there's fuel and wear and tear to consider.

I'm really dreading giving her the letter. Things have been very up and down between us lately as she's been really messing us about (see my other recent posts!). I guess if she don't like it though, she can always bring them herself!

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh... also taking into account milage and journey time; Do I charge her from the other mindee's house or from our house?? We have to leave home at 11:45am to collect A at 12pm. Then go from A's house at 12pm to collect K from her house and arrive back home at approx 12:30pm traffic pending.

Thing is, If A was sick we'd still have to travel just as far to collect K, just a different route.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoBelle View Post
    I guess if she don't like it though, she can always bring them herself!
    You have hit the nail on the head absolutely . I don't offer this type of service as it just wouldn't suit my family. However I would consider it if it were for a family without transport for instance. I definitely wouldn't do it for parents who have their own transport.

Hope she takes it ok

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    You have hit the nail on the head absolutely . I don't offer this type of service as it just wouldn't suit my family. However I would consider it if it were for a family without transport for instance. I definitely wouldn't do it for parents who have their own transport.

Hope she takes it ok
    She has a car but has 2 older children to take to school at 8:45am and then goes to work. She USED to drop the LO's off here at 8:30am. She reckons she doesn't have time now though.

Her OH is unemployed, at home and sat on his a**e all day and has a van so he's more than capable of bringing the LO's. Although she doesn't trust him to do so. He has a lot of issues and I don't know what he's like behind closed doors.

The other parent we have I have no issues with and don't really want to have to put the fee up for her as she's a single parent and struggles and has no transport at all. I have to though to keep it fair.

ALSO should I give them 4 weeks notice, or start the new fees w/c 3rd January? Do the government give us 4 weeks notice of petrol rises?!
    Last edited by OrlandoBelle; 21-12-2010 at 09:18 PM.

FEB 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoBelle View Post
    She has a car but has 2 older children to take to school at 8:45am and then goes to work. She USED to drop the LO's off here at 8:30am. She reckons she doesn't have time now though.

Her OH is unemployed, at home and sat on his a**e all day and has a van so he's more than capable of bringing the LO's. Although she doesn't trust him to do so. He has a lot of issues and I don't know what he's like behind closed doors.

The other parent we have I have no issues with and don't really want to have to put the fee up for her as she's a single parent and struggles and has no transport at all. I have to though to keep it fair.
    OMG,,,,,,,, cant she leave earlier, think she is taking advantage of you,, i would definately charge extra,,,,,,,, and the pertol on your way home,,,,,
    do you not get fed up all the running around you do,,,,,,???????

dont compromise as she will try and talk you dont the price,,,,,,,,
    hope all goes well
    I WISH IN 2011 TO BE A SKINNY COW,,,,,,,,,,,, MY PICTURE,,,

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

On another note in future it may be best to increase fees to cover parents who need pick ups. If you charge a separate fee for collecting/dropping off then you are a taxi and may invalidate your car insurance!
    Private cars cannot be used for hire and reward, even if it's just £1.

Use that as an excuse to get out of it. She will have to pay the higher fee or just get up earlier, the lazy so and so
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £5 for each day on top of contract fee.
    I was the same at one point started it as a one off and dad liked it. It was cheaper for us to pick up and drop off than dad using his car. But we don't do it know mum can drive.
    I have just ended a contract with another mindee as it is getting too much every day, x is never ready and I am left on the door step while she is getting ready and her dad is sitting at home all day. They started asking us to drop her off at her nans coz mum n dad were visiting nan...... hello I thou you were in work the days we have x. I explained I am not a taxi n can only drop off at her home. you dont get any more thanks for it. the more you do the worst you get treated

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juejue View Post
    I charge £5 for each day on top of contract fee.
    I was the same at one point started it as a one off and dad liked it. It was cheaper for us to pick up and drop off than dad using his car. But we don't do it know mum can drive.
    I have just ended a contract with another mindee as it is getting too much every day, x is never ready and I am left on the door step while she is getting ready and her dad is sitting at home all day. They started asking us to drop her off at her nans coz mum n dad were visiting nan...... hello I thou you were in work the days we have x. I explained I am not a taxi n can only drop off at her home. you dont get any more thanks for it. the more you do the worst you get treated
    Completely agree. This family is really taking us for granted lately. Feel completely taken advantage of and un-valued.

Yes I do get fed up and I feel even more sorry for my husband (he's registered as my assistant) as he's the one who collects them every day. Quite often he gets there and they're not ready in the mornings, and when he goes to collect the other sibling in the afternoon, more often than not Dad has taken her out somewhere and not bothered telling us! It's ridiculous to say the least and i've had enough. Just wish I could give them their notice sometimes.

jumpinjen Guest

Well done..... it gave me a giggle that there's only 10p between all the options!! Just shows how much you were giving away each day by not enforcing your policy!

I think you charge from when you leave at 12 to get K to be fair as you were already out to get another LO.

It will probably make her do the drop offs herself but then you gain the time spent doing drop offs and no longer feel taken advantage of.

it is always a gamble putting your foot down... I did it a few months ago and lost one family as they 'just couldn't understand why I charged when they didn't bring their child'. fine..... i would rather not have the headache..... it eats away at you if you deal with it all the time.

Good luck, give us an update when she's read it.

Oh and I think 28 days for changes is appropriate, but depends what is in your contract.

jen x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    On another note in future it may be best to increase fees to cover parents who need pick ups. If you charge a separate fee for collecting/dropping off then you are a taxi and may invalidate your car insurance!
    Private cars cannot be used for hire and reward, even if it's just £1.
    :
    Agreed

If you have an accident and during their investigations the parents are asked for statements and let slip that you charge £1 for collecting & dropping your business insurance will not pay out as you are operating for hire and reward - also you could be prosecuted by your council and have to apply for a taxi liscence.

Much better to include in fees

jumpinjen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    Agreed

If you have an accident and during their investigations the parents are asked for statements and let slip that you charge £1 for collecting & dropping your business insurance will not pay out as you are operating for hire and reward - also you could be prosecuted by your council and have to apply for a taxi liscence.

Much better to include in fees
    I don't understand this...... you are operating for hire and reward if you do drop offs and pick ups anyway and include it in your fees..... you aren't doing lifts for all and sundry and charging fees, it is part of your business that you offer this service so it's not a taxi service..... can anyone confirm whether an insurance company specifically TOLD them they couldn't charge for drop off and pick up? i mean we are a food business if we serve food to the children that they didn't bring and can charge extra for meals so this seems a little over the top to me?

if it is the case that you can't charge for the trip then charge for your own time during that time then you aren't charging for the trip, say £3.50 for that 15 mins..... your business, your charging policy!

jen x