Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What works for you re. holiday pay

At the moment I charge half for my holidays and half for theirs. This has worked well for me for ten years. On the very odd occasion I have been asked why I charge this way I explain that my fees are kept low and I receive payment all year round. However I was hoping to give myself an extra week off next year and also slightly increase my fees. Therefore I was wondering whether I would be better charging nothing for my holidays and full for the parents holidays. What does everyone prefer.? I am not discussing the principle of charging for holidays as that has been discussed many times and we all have our own ways and reasons, but just the way that seems to work best for you. Thank you.xx
    Julie X X

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What works for you re. holiday pay

i don't charge for my hols but charge for theirs although Ive not taken any in 12 months ...
    Dust its Fairy Dust

jumpinjen Guest

I charge full for theirs and none for mine..... it make fees very simple as my basic rule is that if I am available to work then I'm paid and if I'm not available then not paid. I charge for bank holidays if this falls within their contracted hours, even when I don't have them. I feel that they get paid for BH's so I will be paid too. If I work I am time and a half

jen x

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I also charge nothing for my hols and full for parents, I take 4 weeks a year.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

None for mine & full for theirs (1/2 if taken at the same time) - again rule of thumb is if I'm available I get paid, if not then I don't - exception being BH's, I charge for these if they fall on a contracted day, but don't work them...I may work them at my descretion for my unsocial hourly fee (ie double time). I allow up to 6 weeks per year... 4 for actual holidays & 2 weeks for medical/ dental appointments, training etc. (NOT THAT I HAVE EVER USED EVEN 4 WEEKS, BUT THE PROVISION IS THERE FOR 6)! (Opps caps - sorry)
    HTH
    Last edited by Blaze; 05-10-2010 at 06:37 PM.
    Blaze x

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i too choose to have no fees for mine and full for theres...simple reason couldnt be bothered to workout the fees as im rubbish at maths lol

and the above reasons

xx
    Jennie x x

jumpinjen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    None for mine & full for theirs (1/2 if taken at the same time) - again rule of thumb is if I'm available I get paid, if not then I don't - exception being BH's, I charge for these if they fall on a contracted day, but don't work them...I may work them at my descretion for my unsocial hourly fee (ie double time). I allow up to 6 weeks per year... 4 for actual holidays & 2 weeks for medical/ dental appointments, training etc. (NOT THAT I HAVE EVER USED EVEN 4 WEEKS, BUT THE PROVISION IS THERE FOR 6)! (Opps caps - sorry)
    HTH
    Loving your half fee if taken at the same time idea.... I have one family that take theirs when mine is so don't have to pay.... I'm thinkign a review of terms and conditions next april

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never really had much of a problem with regard to holidays as one of mine is term time only, the other one is 2 days a week and this year their holidays coincided with mine. I generally give them 4 weeks off a year where they don't pay and they know that my holidays have to be taken in school hols. They told me they were going on holiday with less than 4 weeks notice and just paid me for it - they offered to pay for it as they hadn't given me much notice! We have a good system going anyway as she gets looked after by grandad one day a week and so he was away one week and so I had her an extra day, I happen to need a day off so I said could he look after her an extra day and then that way it didn't interfere with fees. I calculate the 6 month fees and divide it evenly so they pay the same amount each month. Much easier that way round.

july 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

ive always charged full for theirs and none for mine , i take a set 4 weeks a year and give dates to parents in january , i also take odd days throughout the year but always give a minimum of 4 weeks notice(often more) that way if i need time off for a doc/hospital or anything i can without feeling guilty or that im letting them down , it doesnt happen very often and it works for all of us

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I currently charge for parent hols and nothing for mine. However, I have a couple of new mindees starting soon and am changing the way I work out my holiday fees for these new starters. I am going to charge 1/2 for my hols and 1/2 for theirs. I stipulate 4 weeks notice must be given (by both parties) and that we can each take a max of 4 weeks off a yr. After 4 weeks full fee applies or I won't charge (have yet to take 4 weeks off a yr!). If 4 weeks notice not given then again full fee or no charge applies.

I hope that by doing this, I will be more inclined to take my 4 weeks off and I also don't want the parents to feel that they have to take their hols when I do. Most do not have school age children so are not restricted to time off in school holidays and rip of holiday prices, like I am!

Post Thanks / Like

I charge half for theirs and nothing for mine!!! but after reading all the other posts I may have to look at reviewing this for any new mindees

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Overall good
    Post Thanks / Like

I too charge, full charge for theirs and none for mine. i'm not available to work and don't feel charging is right. i take 5 weeks including 1 week at xmas every year, but might take 6 this year. its my business, so it's my call. Parents are well informed before hand, new and old customers, and all seem happy.
    I am very flexi for them, hence the reason i start at 6am and finish at 6:40 pm. i think that helps.
    Debbie xxx

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjen View Post
    I charge full for theirs and none for mine..... it make fees very simple as my basic rule is that if I am available to work then I'm paid and if I'm not available then not paid. I charge for bank holidays if this falls within their contracted hours, even when I don't have them. I feel that they get paid for BH's so I will be paid too. If I work I am time and a half

jen x

This is how I do it and it seems to work quite well. I let parents know as soon as dh has his holiday allocations and we work it from there. I sometimes take 4 and once took 5 weeks but have written in to my contract that I can take up to 6 weeks, just to cover myself really

I set it up that way before I had my inspection as was worried about my results and being a new minder - could I really charge for time off etc.

I am considering changing my contract for new mindees which will include a fee of some description over my hols, though not sure yet

HX

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for my holidays/occasional days off and charge half fees for their holidays/occasional days off if they give 4 weeks or more notice. If I receive less than 4 weeks notice it's full fees.

I started charging this way a few months ago because there's quite a few childminders in my town and not a huge amount of work so I wanted to offer something that the others didn't iyswim!

However, I charge 20p per hour more than the majority of them so that compensates a bit for the half fees!
    Cazz x

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont charge for mine and full for theirs.

Im quite happy for them to take theirs when i takes mine and so do not pay.

1 they dont hassle me for cover as they look forward to their free time off.

2 they cannot moan at my holidays as they do not pay me.

3 taking 5 weeks unpaid holiday a year is the only thing that brings my tax down. I cannot afford to have paid holidays if you see what i mean
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Feb 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no charge when I take time off but for any time off taken by the child whether sickness or holiday, 100% fee applies. All my parents seem content with this approach.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I started off with all of theirs and none of mine and the parents took the same hols as me so I went to half and half which also didn;t work so now I have 2 weeks paid holiday per year.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do half fees for both my holidays (4 weeks) and theirs (4-6 weeks dependant on contract) plus a week I close at christmas which is also half fees and not out of any ones 'entitlement'. Ive done it this way for over 10 years and had no problems - I did think of changing to all for theirs and none for mine, but then I dont think some parents would ever take their child out for a holiday so would rather stick to the current way I do things

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full for theirs and full for mine and had no complaints. But turns out all my spaces are now taken with term time only to the only holiday i take is in the school holidays - unless its the odd day here and there (think ive took 2 off this year)